Cheney says Bush bearing largest burden of Iraq war

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, Mar 24, 2008.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

ABC news link

I didn't think that he could get any more deluded, but I was wrong.

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's what you get from a chickenhawk who refused to serve when his nation called while supporting the same war effort he was avoiding...

Talk about deluded. I'm trying to decide who's more deluded -- Bush, who thinks war is some romantic fun-fest, or Cheney, who thinks Bush has the worst burden on the war.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I believe that the soldiers who were killed or ruthlessly mangled and crippled carried the biggest burden, but I have been wrong, from time to time.

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Quite rightly people have said it's the friends and family of the 4000 dead soldiers who carry the real burden, and the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians killed.

Sadly it is doubtful Bush will ever realize what he's done. If he does, he'll have a burden beyond belief. Sadly, such a revelation required an amount of intelligence that he doesn't have.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Number of military funerals attended by George W. Bush: still zero.

At least we now know the reason why. It would be just too tough on him.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If he's not tough enough to handle a military funeral, how is he going to be tough enough to stand up to America's enemies?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

These draft dodgers who wouldnt serve dragged us into this Iraq war knowing Saddam didnt do 911,didnt have WMDs and worked hard to fake evidence anywhere they could. And get this...no one is accountable,not Bush,Cheney,Rove,Hastert,Delay,Libbey or any of the other draft dodging republicans.

Bushco is out of touch with America and its people.

There, I think I have said this enough times now.:p

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It bears repeating.

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

excuse me dick, i think the ones carrying the biggest burden of the war are those who give their lives for it!!!!!!!!!
    american and iraqi, soldier and civilian alike NOT THE IDIOT WHO SITS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND GOES "oh man $4 for gas? i didnt know that!"

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Should I say it again?:D How did we as a country sink so low and who really thinks that democracy can be slapped on a Islamic state like Iraq? Is it worth it ? "Not including the oil companys mind you."

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The evidence was not there, true. But from the very beginning, I've always thought that the reason we went there was to protect Israel, a huge ally strategically.

He's used WMD's in the past, I don't think it was that unreasonable to assume that he still had them.

Right, because as we all know, there wasn't a huge movement in the Vietnam era of liberals dodging the draft. People of all political persuasions dodged the draft, stop laying those problems on the GOP doorstep. Of course, the point you're making about hypocrisy is noted, and true.

I'm still amazed any republicans still like him. I am a republican, and I can't stand him.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I use to be also, but we must be honest Bush had lots of help to do all these things from the GOP.

Im thinking what a trillion dollars could have done HERE AT HOME!

14. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

"I believe that the soldiers who were killed or ruthlessly mangled and crippled carried the biggest burden, but I have been wrong, from time to time."

I'm not going to win any friends for this, but although it's inherently nonsensical to objectively evaluate one victim's suffering against another's, if we're doing so one could argue that innocent civilian casualties of a war which was none of their doing (and is recking their home country) carry a 'bigger burden' than those of the occupying armies.

Even despite the desperately, desperately sad fact that most men and women in the aforementioned armies are operating under the illusion they were set to deliver democracy and freedom to a crushed and impoverished people courtesy of western civilization's earnest, benevolent and collective concern. Rather than merely to facilitate the manipulation of Iraq's resources and geography for political and economic enrichment under the facade of humanitarian intervention.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you have any evidence of that, or is this more of your "logic"?

Of course he used them in the past! We sold them to him!

We also knew that anything we sold him was not in any condition to be considered a WMD in 2003.

The issue isn't draft dodging. It's the hypocrisy of draft dodging while supporting that very war you aren't willing to fight, aka being a chickenhawk.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So he lied to the American people and the UN about the reasons for destroying Iraq whichever way you put it? Is that what he swore to do at his inauguration?

So an assumption is a good enough reason to launch a war and destroy a nation? I hope you aren't planning to limbo dance under that bar.

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I don't need a source.

"But from the very beginning, I've always thought that the reason we went there was to protect Israel, a huge ally strategically."

Agreed, which I mentioned in the part of the post you quoted.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you heard of the PNAC? It's all in there in black and white.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But what do you base this upon? Anything? A hunch? Something someone from the Bush administration has said?

And if you believe that to be the case, do you feel like the Bush administration lied to the public about the reasons for war?

Just wanted to be sure because you were downplaying the significance of avoiding service in wars you support just prior to your mention of it in the part of the post I quoted.

20. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

at that time i was 14 and i thought since we already had bases in afghanistan that we were going into iraq to set up a vice grip on iran.
    because it just didn't make any sense to go to war based on the evidence that was being presented at that time i thought bush has got to have something evil up his sleeve

21. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Hasn't most of this money been borrowed from China? By the time we pay off the interest it will be alot more than this. America is in deep doody. It will suffer more if McCain gets in there. Oh heck we just needed Ron Paul in the oval office. He would have gotten us out of there and found ways to do away with the debt. :p

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- and my cousin goes back next month. :mad: This crap has got to stop.

23. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Read this, I'm sure you will love it............
    Can anyone explain to me how these idiots going completely against the constitution have not been impeached? In the early 1900's they would have been hanged publicly.
    http://infowars.net/articles/march2008/200308Cheney.htm

24. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

To play devil's advocate, returning soldiers tend to face, as I understand it, the incredible hardship of having had a traumatic experience coupled with the trauma that no one wants to hear about it, often not even or especially not family and friends.

Survivors of a conflict in one's own country at least, in theory, live in a society that is interested in their suffering.

But maybe I'm confusing "burden" with something else.

In the end though, I agree, it's a somewhat meaningless to compare.

25. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Well I hope you don't think any of these jokes that are called candidates will stop it. It doesn't matter anymore, INVADE IRAN, they are a threat to Israel. Sacrifice yourselves for Israel, and we will have plenty of illegal Mexicans fill the jobs you leave behind, and we'll save money in the end. Only one man vowed to put an end to it at any cost, and you all laughed him out. :rolleyes: