cheney says he's not part of executive branch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 21, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

house.gov

we're well through the lookingglass now. what next? bush and cheney exempt themselves from the 4-year term?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If he's not part of the executive branch, what is he? A private contractor? :confused:

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

in his specific case, that's a closer definition of the situation than you think.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Cheney's a very smart guy. I think that is something we can all agree on. But, they guy is going nuts. I think that is something else we can all agree on.

I am curious though - how is Bush going to react to this. It is an attempt by the VP to circumvent an executive order. I don't see any mention of it, but I'm guessing that Bush was the issuer of the order. I could see the administration splitting in half after something like this. After something like that - especially if played right - Bush could actually get his numbers back up...

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

He's in a branch of his own.

Attached Files:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's just some guy who shows up for work at a very White House every day, who just happens to have access to tons of classified information -- and apparently no requirement to keep it a secret.

Once again, can we all imagine how frothy the right would be if Hillary Clinton's VP claimed this privilege? Particularly after said VP had arguably either committed treason, or allowed treason to be committed on their watch?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't believe Bush issued that EO. IIRC, it was Clinton who issued it. But I could be wrong, I seem to recall reading that somewhere during the whole treason-gate thing.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Don't people have any common sense anymore? I mean geez..The US Constitution describes the executive branch and I believe the vice-president is part of it.

This guys gone more nuts than he already was.

From the Constitution :

Article II

Section 1. The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows:

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So if he's not a part of the Executive Branch then he has no claim of Executive Privilege, correct? Subpoena the living sh** out of him and his staffers.....

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree that cheney's a smart guy, but i'm not so certain he's losing it. he keeps pushing and pushing and, though his numbers are down, who really is going to stop him?

the press basically gives him a free pass. the dem-led congress has more or less demonstrated it has no teeth (it issues subpoenas, but doesn't really enforce them). he claims executive privilege left and right and, despite complaints, no one's been able to force him to change.

so why not go for it all? why not see if he can outstay his term? what if everything he's doing now, and has been doing for 6 years, is all about setting himself up for that? who would actually stop him?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It looks like it goes even farther back than that. Look at section 5(a), and you'll see the EOs that relate to Bush's EO. Bush's was extended, and I imagine that it will get extended again. Anyway you look at it - the POTUS may be an easygoing kind of guy, but when someone does something to undercut his authority, he has a habit of coming down like a ton of bricks. I don't see this ending well for Cheney.

I don't think there is a lot to stop him, the problem is that he'll be alone. The left never cared for him, and most of the right is backing out of the room (because you don't turn your back on that guy). With this, he may lose Bush. One is the loneliet number.

I wonder if maybe he dropped some wine on the carpet and he's just scared he'll lose his security deposit when he moves out of the VP's mansion. Maybe her figures that if he's wierd enough, they'll give it back to him just to get him to leave.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Just another day of Cheney ignoring inconvenient laws.

Just another day of Congress letting him.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If Congress would just impeach him and remove him from office it might be removing a huge obstacle in public support for impeaching Bush...

I'm against impeaching Bush as long as Cheney is the next in line for succession...

I think Bush picked Cheney purely as a defensive manner. Almost every living person on earth would take a bullet for Bush if it meant keeping the planet from dealing with President Cheney.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

True words.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont forget half of congress is still republican, there is only 1 solution and thats not voting for any republican for the next decade perhaps two.
    Cheney is a great example of the republican party these days, no scrupels,values or morals and selling out of America at every chance for his rich draft dodging buddys. Half of congress makes sure the other half is powerless to the dictator.

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

For once I think Cheney is on the level.

He's actually part of the military industrial shadow government.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If he is not part of the executive branch, shouldn't he have his Secret Service guard pulled?

I thought this country could never assemble a more loathsome group of men as H.R. Haldeman, John Erlichman, John Dean, Charles Colson, Patrick Gray, John Mitchell, Bart Porter, Jeb Stuart Magruder, Gordon Liddy, etc. But the current WH has them beat hands-down.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like the way you think.

S'true, though. Cheney is trying to have it both ways, and both of his arguments -- "I'm exempt from the law because I'm a member of the executive branch", and "I'm exempt from the law because I'm not a member of the executive branch" -- are outrageous. :mad:

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Just to pick a nit: the Supreme Court justices and the leaders of Congress get SS guards also.

But that doesn't reduce Cheney's idiocy one iota.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, and I might add in reference to Cheney's highly flexible version of the law: this just goes to show what some of us have been saying about him, Bush and the whole White House mafia for some time now: he is a sociopath. Truth, law and obligation have no meaning to him. Those things are whatever he feels it convenient for them to be, to serve his particular needs and wants at any given moment.

And they say liberals are moral relativists. [​IMG]

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, no, he is an exponent of Realethik, a follower of Aleister Crowley and the Abbey of Thelema:

"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"

He must think that thing on Ellis Liberty Island is the Statue of Taking Liberties.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

(wrong island; it's actually on Liberty Island)

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The comment does seem odd to me. He's certainly a part of the executive branch.

25. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Um...I'm pretty sure that if Dick Cheney really is the vice president, then he is part of the executive branch.

Someone needs to shoot him in the face. :)