Chewbacca Mom's huge bank account is white privilege in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 8, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/1123479/chewbacca-mom
    good for her.
    some people will always have an invisible white hand to blame for their stupidity.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can anyone tell me what the **** this thread is about?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

follow the link, someone is crying about white privileged. using 2 completely different scenarios that are no where near the same.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's a jkcerda thread. Spin around in circles for about 30 seconds, then it might make more sense.

I think the whole Chewbacca mask thing was a setup. I don't think it as just some random video some girl did that happened to catch on. The perfect camera angle with perfect framing, great lighting, and a very personable character.

I also find human behavior very bizarre in that after a girl posted a video of herself laughing in a mask, suddenly people start throwing away hundreds of dollars on said mask.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

set up or not it was a nice break and I am glad she is cashing in.

6. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

As a long-time Star Wars collector, I can say it was not a setup by Hasbro based on the product. Masks make up a very small portion of their product mix for Star Wars movies and all of The Force Awakens product is coming to an end; Rogue One product will be the new focus. The fact that the Chewbacca mask was found at Kohls says a lot- clearance item. It does not make sense for Hasbro to create a PR stunt to push a pretty much end-of-cycle product. Now maybe Kohls did it for PR...but I don't think so- would be such a random thing to choose.

Perfect camera angle? It's obviously simply sitting in a regular dashboard mount millions of people use in their car for GPS and hands-free phone use.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

For a minute there, I thought this post was about Trump's mom (ya know, the orange fur and all on the Donald).

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree. When I heard about the incident from relatives since they watch TV all day (they're retired) - and then wasted a minute of my life to edify myself on what everyone else seemed to know, I wondered "What is all this about? This is funny? This is stupid. She has the IQ of a potted plant. What joy is she giving? Maybe it's everyone else laughing at her self-humiliating expense. Who cares, it's overrated drivel."

The fact that another video came up with Abrams and crew for a TV show... I agree, "ringer" comes to mind. Especially as Disney owns the copyright and she's using it the same way that an elementary school wanted to sing a Disney song until Disney sued the school... or Disney demanding murals be painted over/taken down because Disney mice were painted on it... Disney's list is otherwise remarkable in its length over harmless and profitless use, and yet the doped up giggle woman gets tons of money. Seemed like a miniature reality show, or "reality commercial".

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I read the article. I must have missed the part about white privilege. The author was wondering why a middle class woman received all this money while poor people who needed help did not receive as much or any help.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think the fact that Chewbacca Mask Lady has become a point of societal contention is proof that we can make a political issue out of just about anything.

11. applesith, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Her video has nothing to do with copyright law. It's no different than someone doing an unboxing video for the mask as a fan. Mural example is different because it's using the characters as art in a public space. Disney choosing to sue a school is one thing- but it's not the same as Chewbacca lady.

IQ of a potted plant? Oh please get off your high horse. She's an average american that had fun with a kids toy. You should really get over yourself.

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

+1

It's just a stunt, and a bizarre one, that certain media outlets will try to fool us with by placing racialbaiting claims.

A coworker of mine thinks costs should be lower for all. He went all but short of saying the top should take a pay cut, but what other options would there be?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

So they are wondering why a white woman who puts on a mask for the Internet and laughs makes money, while a black woman who neglects her kids, lets one of them climb into a gorilla cage, almost gets the kid killed and meanwhile wipes out a 17 year old endangered animal that the zookeepers had raised doesn't? If it doesn't make sense, read from the top again. This is the type of **** that obscures real racist situations.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's a funny typo. She was having fun with a toy now she got funds with a toy.