Chicago area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s.a.dale cooper, Nov 6, 2011.

1. s.a.dale cooper macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am currently in Europe, and am going to be going home to Chicago for Thanksgiving, and I would like to know if anyone from the Chicago area knows if the iphone 4s craze will die down by then, and should I be able to buy a at&t device only phone(so i can use it in Europe when I return), or if the factory unlocked comes out by then,meaning do you think they will have em in stock, and would i be able to buy one by just walking in to any APPLE STORE or would i have to reserve,or will i be outta luck and they wont have any in stock... any tips would be great.

Thanks

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you are going back to Europe you want to buy a Factory unlocked which hopefully will be out then. other wise you will not be able to use your 4s in Europe at least not now. either way I try to get one reserved or maybe the help of a family member. guessing the supply in the beginning is tricky.

3. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Why not buy one at att when you get here, then return it before the 30 days expires.
    The phone return cancels the 2yr contract as well, so you risk nothing.

4. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I thought I read here at MacRumors that the at&t device only iphone 4s's are GSM unlocked, meaning if i pay full retail price for em at an apple store only, that it will be able to be used with my european sim card

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It is if purchased at the apple store.

I would think you would have a shot of getting one reserved by then, depending on how long you are home for. I would also think the factory unlocked ones would be available by that time too, but who knows!

6. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean try it out with my European sim card to see if it will work? I get to Chicago a week before Thanksgiving and leave December 3rd, just wanted to know if that'll be enough time to try and find an unlocked iphone 4s. Anyone know where to look besides apple stores?craigslist?

7. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about reserving one?

8. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Reserve one for pick up after 9pm on Apple.com the night before you want to buy it. That's what I did - and I am in Chicago. You pick the store, color, carrier, etc. I was very surprised at the reserved only line that I had to wait in, but it only took about 20 minutes. (4 people in front of me and about 8 behind me when it was my turn.)

9. jekyoo macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to-buy/ or the Apple Store app on your phone.

I'm not sure if the device-only 4S' in Chicago are unlocked. I have yet heard of any success in Chicagoland Apple stores atm. The inventory doesn't seem so bad in Chicago. Varies storage sizes are in stock depending on which Apple store you visit. I'm sure that before you leave, unlocked 4S' will be officially available.

10. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, ok, could you just please tell me when you bought yours?was this at the release date or later on?

----------

Well I figured I'd give a device only a try if the official factory unlocked aren't out by then, I figure even if it is locked I'll have time to go back to the store and return it and get my refund. And thanks for the link!

----------

Just clicked the link you gave me, unfortunately it says they are all unavailable, I guess that means they don't have any in stock :( hopefully they'll have some when I get there, really looking for a 32gb or a 64 gb if i can't find a 32gb

11. jekyoo macrumors 6502

You have to do it after 9pm. If you check before 9pm (Chicago time), it'll always show that it's unavailable. When you purchase it device-only, you can ask if it's unlocked or not and they'll tell you.

12. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cool...thanks, I did not know that I have to do it after 9p.m. chicago time...will there be an option for selecting device only when I try and reserve one? And yes that is exactly what I'll do, i'll ask the person selling me it if it will be GSM unlocked, and if my eurotrash sim will work with it...really appreciate the help

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

THis will probably change by the time Yareli here, but as of right now, you just buy an ATT phone, off contract. The threads on the unlocked phones will help you out with the verbiage to use, but you do NOT want to say you want the ATT one to use in europe. Apple is technically NOT making these sales right now, which is why it is hit and miss. If you get someone nice that knows what they are doing, they will do it, otherwise, RIGHT NOW, they can refuse to sell it to you. It is an "unadvertised" feature of the phones bought at the Apple store prior to the official unlocked ones go on sale.

It sounds like you will have enough time to get one though, good luck!

14. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, I did not know it is not smart to tell them that I want the device only so I can use it in Europe...I'll just say that I don't want to be tied down to a contract, and would like a device only...and thanks for the optimism, I hope I will have enough time to buy one :)

15. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone have any luck lately buying an iphone 4s(either by walking in or reserving it online) in the Chicago area the last few days?

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Be aware that the week after Thanksgiving is a very busy week for holiday shopping. The Apple Store is mobbed the entire weekend no matter what. Hopefully by then the official unlocked version is on sale, and then you can order online and use the new in store pickup option. If so, I'd suggest going to a suburban store if you have access to a car. The crowd might be a little smaller.

17. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm well aware that there are goin to be some big sales going on that week and that the store will probably be crowded, i actually am getting out there next wednesday, the 16th, I was hoping to get one the next day, the 17th if at all possible. I guess I'll try and reserve one the first night I get there

18. s.a.dale cooper thread starter macrumors newbie

I just read at the apple site that I need an apple id when purchasing an Iphone?can someone confirm this for me please....What do I exactly need to buy a device only or factory unlocked iphone, other than ca$h :) ?