Chicago BLM Activist: 'We Need to Abolish the Police'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tomorrow, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

From Fox News:

I have edited the text, full text and video here: http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/07/12/chicago-blm-activist-we-need-abolish-police (Fast forward to about 1:20 to hear her quote)

Interesting note - so many people here are quick to dismiss a story from Fox News as untrue simply because it's on Fox News, so I looked for a more "neutral" source to link this story - and I didn't immediately find one. I wonder why?

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    This is the kind of policing they are already getting and look at the shootings. They want them to stop showing up all together?

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I say build a wall around Chiraque and let the people police themselves. No one in; no one out.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Probably because this seems to be some random mouthbreathing dipwad talking out his ass, and it's being forwarded as news to stir up an already churning pot.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Escape from Chicago? I don't know man Kurt Russel is getting kinda old to do any more action flicks.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 14, 2016 ---
    And the Huff Pro article that was quoted a little while ago?

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Clearly she doesn't realize the inner city would eat itself alive faster than it is right now without some "buffer".

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It could be like District B13!!!

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The dipwad is a female. :)

9. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

a person with no authority said something less than civil or reasonable. can society move on from this?

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Chicks can be dipwads too, yo.
    I'm thinking more Escape from New York.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

True. But you said his ass. Or, were you talking about the retired cop?

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I don't know, and I don't get your meaning. Are you saying it's a bad idea for more foot-patrols and long-term rotations of police in certain neighborhoods to foster relationships?

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

No. What I am saying is that Couric has already shown to have no journalistic integrity.

ETA: Context

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I was talking about the BLM activist.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Dipwadette then.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I couldn't give two craps about Couric, what about the example (however flawed)?

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The examples you gave? I can't listen to the video right now. The examples you gave? Foot patrols would be a good thing as long as they don't increase response times.
    Fostering relationships is a two way street, cops can try to talk to the community all they want, but when some of that community adheres to "Snitches get stitches" nothing will come of it.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fine. So why even try? Armored Personnel Carriers down the streets should work much better I suppose? I see a lot of complaining in this thread, but no real solutions that address what the OP is addressing. I should add that I think her statement is idiotic - but obviously motivated from a bad situation.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Police are trying. They have been trying "Community Policing" since the 90's.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I agree. Chicago is a tough example. Corruption and a policy of cordoning off parts of the city and containing it have not led to decent results. There are parts of South Chicago I could never go to - and if known people - large, tough, street-smart people - who are deeply afraid of it. Still, what can you do but try?

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

On coverage: Black Lives Matter has dozens, if not hundreds, of activists and thus, one making a statement during a Fox News show is not particularly interesting or relevant.

However, a quick search turns up five stories on this specific statement, including a story from U.S. News & World Report.

News organizations regularly make editorial choices about where to spend resources—reporters, editors, photographers, etc.—and this rarely converts into watching the Kelly File and reporting what was said.

Fox News wants to promote any thing that comes out of their own show for rating and hits, and the various apparatchiks like Western Journalism and BizPac will regurgitate the "story."

Instead, reporters who follow BLM know that the organization has been pushing for police reforms for years, arguing that the heavily-militarized police forces that quelled riots in Ferguson were a problem. So, a single statement just doesn't get effort.

(Some clever bunny will argue that every one of Trump's utterance gets ink and time, which is a good argument, not for covering this statement, but for covering Trump less. Moreover, he's a presidential candidate and the presumptive nominee for one major party. What he says carries more weight.)
    Absolutely. Some efforts have been successful and some have failed.

The problem in part is that these efforts have come in parallel with municipalities that use the police department as a revenue stream. And, while some departments have invested in foot patrols, they've also accepted and used equipment from Defense Department through Justice Department grants.

And, we can see how something like Chicago's Homan Square can destroy an agency's relationship to the community.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Wall it off and then charge rich people $$$ for Chiraq war zone tours in armored busses with 2" thick glass, like a ghetto Jurassic Park. Roll the profits back into urban renewal. When the tours peter out you'll know that you've made progress.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Abolishing the police is ridiculous. Police just need accountability and stop treating innocent people like savages.