Chicago Cardinal Compares Pride Parade to Ku Klux Klan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 22, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. Really? Is he serious?

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...rdinal_Compares_Pride_Parade_to_Ku_Klux_Klan/

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dear Catholic Church,

This is why you're becoming increasingly irrelevant.

3. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Dear Catholic Church,

Your lease is up. Please vacate the premises by Dec. 21, 2012

Mother Earth

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's almost beyond belief. no pun intended.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

"Gentlemen, I belive we have achieved a new all-time low. I'm proud of you."
    - The Pope after hearing this

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I think I'm going to regret posting anything, but I'll play devil's advocate (excuse my slightly-humorous choice of words)...

While the cardinal's choice of words was unfortunate, I'm not exactly sure what the huff is all about.

Anti-Catholicism has a long history in the US, the most visible manifestation of which was the KKK. If people are going to Mass while the parade is going on, you have to believe that anti-Catholic epithets will be hurled at the parishioners as they file into the church, and there is definitely the possibility of a verbal, if not physical, scuffle breaking out.

The cardinal was hoping that the parade not turn into (i.e. "morph into") a KKK-style anti-Catholic rally, and wasn't outright calling the parade KKK-like.

If two organizations disagree about something and there's a lot of passion involved on either side, it's generally not a respectful thing to march a parade past those you disagree with.

7. remmy macrumors 6502a

Quite right, they should close the church during the event.

Seems the US is intolerant of many peoples so maybe the catholic church should sympathise.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yep, that makes sense. Instead of changing the route of the parade (which by its very definition is mobile), close the (immobile) church so that the Catholics of that parish can't fulfill their duty to attend Mass on Sunday. :rolleyes:

9. remmy macrumors 6502a

They can have mass another time, does not have to permanently closed, or they can open at the same time as the parade.

Bit ridiculous calling a Gay Parade the KKK.

What about the second point about intolerance in the US to gays and catholics?

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Don't Catholic Chruches have like 9 zillion masses on Sunday and some on Saturday nights? The parade starts at noon...that gives them plenty of time to catch an earlier mass and get their weekly fill of BS and guilt.

----------

And the huff is about the characterization...I guarantee if the Gay Liberation Network came back and compared the Catholic Church to Nazi's they would take just as much offense.

I mean...they are like Nazi's aren't they? They, too, discriminated against Gays.

Edit: And I've been involved in numerous Pride parades that have travelled past Churches on Sunday...I promise you we have better things to do than "hurl epithets". It's a celebration, not an airing of grievances directed at those who hate us.

11. Macaddicttt, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, it has to be on Sunday. I'm not sure the hours of this parade, though. Also, churches have the same Mass times every week. It seems rather ridiculous to force the church to change because of the inconsiderate route chosen by the parade.

I completely agree, and I assume also would this cardinal. If you read my post, along with the original quote from the cardinal, no one called the parade the KKK.

And this is why I was a little hesitant to post in this thread; I assumed people would approach this rationally.

Well, the real irony here is that both groups feel discriminated against by the other. The parade made the first aggressive move here, though, routing the parade past the church during a time Mass was going to be celebrated.

True. Not a "9 zillion," usually two or three, and maybe one on Saturday. Depends on the size of the parish. But catching an earlier Mass is kind of hard if the church is full at all three or four regular masses. You can't fit three or four church's worth of parishioners into the church all at the same time.

But that's just it; the cardinal did not say, "The parade is like the KKK." He said, "I don't want this parade to turn into a KKK-style anti-Catholic rally, and I fear it might happen."

If that's true, great, but I have a hard time believing it when you couldn't help but insert an insult into your post here ("their weekly fill of BS and guilt").

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't see an issue as long as the parade participants don't go inside the church and try to start something and on the same note the church participants need not go outside to yell at the parade.

If mass is being held at the same time then both parties should respect each other.

IMO this is an excellent opportunity for those of the Christian faith to show their respect for others and demonstrate such as the parade route passes by their house of worship.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Are you serious?

Why should they have to try to route a parade to avoid Churches? Have you ever been to a parade? Have you ever routed one? Especially in a city as large as Chicago?

Both groups may feel discrimated against...however, only one of the groups actually is being discriminated against.

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

To be honest, I'm not sure as to the logistics or whether they should have to reroute the parade. The reason I posted here in the first place is just because the offense people took to the cardinal's remark seemed way disproportionate.

And it's exactly this, "Well, I'm right and you're wrong and I'm 100% convinced of this," attitude that causes conflict and keeps any resolution from happening. Thanks for being part of the problem.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? SO you're OK with him comparing gays to the KKK?

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Did anyone read my original post in this thread or what the cardinal said? He didn't compare gays to the KKK.

:confused:

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

To be fair, macadiccttt as well as the Cardinal's quote seem to be saying that they don't want it to turn into that type of situation, one where protestors took the street against Catholicism. The unfortunate part is that the protestors were KKK members.

I don't think they were saying "the LGBT movement members are bad just like KKK members" as much as they are saying "the LGBT movement itself could turn into a protest similar to the protest from KKK members".

Either way I think Catholics have to realize when they are out demeaning LGBT's they can't come back and say that they are offended and worried that LGBT's might demean them. They are playing victim when in reality they made LGBT's the victim first.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The subtleties of the english language fall by the wayside when you're trying to rile up a segment of the population.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You're right...I'm part of the problem. Damn me for wanting the same silly rights that everyone else has....and for speaking out against those that oppose me.

When has our community tried to deny rights or discriminate against the Catholic Church?

The conflict comes from the fact that this Church supports discrimination against me and my community. The resolution will come when people outside of our community speak up against this crap. Do you honestly think that if we started playing nice and saying nice things about the Catholic Church, they'll change their minds? Not a chance in H***.

It's naivete like yours that is part of the problem.

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I never said that was why you were part of the problem. It was the combative and self-righteous attitude.

Calling it discrimination does not make is so. This is exactly the problem; a difference of opinion leads to charges of something deemed inexcusable (e.g. discrimination), and a complete utter lack of trying to create a dialogue because a brick wall has been erected by that accusation.

It's the same problem with pro-lifers call abortion murder. The charge may or may not be true, but using such language destroys the possibility of dialogue.

Which crap is "this crap"?

Did I say that? No. All I'm in favor of is honest dialogue. You certainly like putting words in my (and the cardinal's) mouth. That certainly makes honest dialogue difficult.

I'm not naive; you're just being presumptuous of what I think.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I actually agree with this. :eek:

;)

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

While the choice of words might not have been the best I think what the Cardinal is saying is that they don't want a riot breaking out in front of the church with 2 opposing sides fighting.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That seems pretty unlikely, don't you think? :confused:

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The klan statement was not wise but I don't think it was meant as offensive just a bad choice of words.

Unless he thinks the marchers will be burning crosses in front of the church. And I hope and doubt that would happen.