Chicago City Council passes pot ticket ordinance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 27, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, it's a good start.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...pot-ticket-ordinance-20120627,0,7253062.story

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

It's a start, but definitely not enough. I can not WAIT until the day it's legalized. So sick and tired of this crap.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

^^ THIS. Might be the only time you see eric slash and me agree. :D

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I sawhim say something sensible before. Maybe a couple months ago :D

Our govt. scientists resigned over drugs couple years back. Basically they did all the studies, looked at all the evidence and concluded - drugs aren't actually that bad, alcohol is the real problem.

Ministers decided to ignore all that and told the scientists to shut it. It went public - big rebellion, and all the scientists quit.

Says it all really. You got bubble-heads running around making laws. Don't matter what the reality is. No wonder the world is a mess.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course it is. Tobacco and government don't want legal pot. You can easily grow your own and they won't profit.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That, to include taxation lost on legal drugs, power, control and finally servitude.

You think your life is your own, to live as you wish, causing no harm to others?

<insert caustic comment here>

8. KPOM macrumors G5

It's great that they are handling the important issues in Chicago. Meanwhile, if you take the L trains, I have some advice for you. Don't take your iPhone out of your pocket. It will be swiped before you know it.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its one of the very few things I think the UK could learn from the US, its still totally illegal here, but everyone flaunts the law regardless.

I think the best attitude toward drugs in recent years has come out of portugal though to be fair.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed. I was visiting recently and traveling to Wrigley. When I got to the game a woman on the same train discovered her wallet was missing. She had it in her front pocket as well.

This is a step though. I simply don't understand the uptight laws with pot.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Do you have a link for that?

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Easily? Weed is more resilient than a lot of common garden weeds.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The study to which you were refer simply asked the opinions of experts about the damage that various drugs do - it was not a true epidemiological study. The results probably do loosely reflect the status quo - nicotine and alcohol do far, far more damage than many illegal drugs. However, just because that is the case now doesn't mean that the relative damage that currently illegal drugs do would remain unchanged if they were all legalized. As the number of people exposed to a drug increases, the likelihood of those vulnerable to adverse reactions increases.

In any case, I have never understood why we should lock up people for drug possession (unless they are violent or are intoxicated and operating a vehicle). Surely it would be sufficient to seize any illegal drugs found on a person. When I was a teenager having a park ranger pour out a case of beer (illegal in most of the parks where I grew up) seemed like sufficiently harsh punishment and humiliation.... :eek:

14. Queso macrumors G4

Here in Catalunya it's legal to grow and use marijuana, but you cannot trade in it.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That seems reasonable.

If you're too lazy to grow your own, do without.

Do many private gardens experience night raids there? ;)

16. Queso macrumors G4

I can't imagine many would report it to the Mossos if there were. However, in urban spaces just about every apartment has a secure terrace area, and with 300 days of sunshine a year that's all someone needs. Those sure aren't tomatoes my neighbours are growing :p

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

If these people were allowed to grow their own drugs then they wouldn't have to steal from others to support their habits. :eek:

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah yes- personal anecdotes make it universally true. I've lived here 20 years- never once had anything like that happen. Not saying that it doesn't, but I ride the train every single day, and guess what? People have their iPhones out, laptops, iPads- all kinds of things.

And yes, KPOM, I consider this to be an important issue. We don't need to be locking up casual pot smokers. We need to focus on violent criminals. Why you don't see this as important is puzzling. We've now freed up the system to go after violent crime, instead of arresting and detaining a bunch of potheads.

19. noteple macrumors 65816

Fact but not just in Chicago.

Now at least if you are toasted it won't bother you as much.

I see a resurgence of "bummer man".

20. iJon, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It's easy to grow marijuana but it's difficult to grow good marijuana. The average person would not be able to grow the caliber of marijuana that is sold in cannabis clubs in the legal states.

I disagree with the tobacco companies wanting legal pot. The tobacco companies have business plans on the shelf for growing and selling marijuana, just waiting for the right time to execute.

The Government currently grows federally legalized marijuana, but only about 6-7 people can smoke it.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not say that the L was entirely unsafe. I did and do continue to agree that there should be some focus on public safety. I didn't say that the issue of weed wasn't important, only that some time could be spent evaluating public safety. Perhaps not letting more people on a train than safe because we were packed so closely that anything could have happened. Perhaps me saying "agreed" set you off because I don't think you can't take out your phone but just because **** doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it isn't happening. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the focus on worrying about weed is absurd. I see that you didn't bother to note that in my statements.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Jessica- WTF, did you not see that I specifically addressed KPOM on the "importance" issue? I mentioned him, not you. I also said, that yes these things do happen, but there's certainly no reason to be clutching your iPhone like everyone around you is going to steal it. That's just silly.

The only person set off here is you. Jesus Christ. Next time I'll say it even more clearly for you.

23. noteple macrumors 65816

Plus 1

There is an uptick in snatch and grabs. Below is an old story, 2012 it's still on the rise.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...es-up-in-metro/2011/06/10/AGNlOUPH_story.html

How sad to say the last thing you might ever see is the screen of your mobile device.

Whether it has or hasn't happen to you or somebody you know, when things are trending, you are a statistic just waiting to happen.

So true.

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It has been decriminalized in NYC for a while, however the cops take a deplorable approach to making their quotas...open possession in public is still a misdemeanor, so when the police are running their highly controversial stop and frisks, they tell the person they're questioning to empty their pockets, turning their possession of marijuana from concealed (legal) to public (misdemeanor), and arrest them.