Chicago model for emergency extended childcare services

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now for a story about something right that is happening in the USA....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-safe-families-29-mar29,0,756681.story

Now to admit my cynicism, these types of organizations concern me with respect to how well they are either regulated or self-police, but this one seems so far to be pretty stand-up, and certainly they offer a service that can really help struggling familes remain together in the long run. As well, they intervene long before the harm of neglect is done.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This definitely seems like a very positive thing. I can't imagine what it's like for these parents to decide the best thing to move forward is to not have their kids for a while. If I was a parent, I'd miss them every second they were gone.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I can't imagine, either. I miss kids that I know and love who aren't mine something fierce enough already....

The other thing that has been going on a lot here in the last couple of decades is increases in families where grandparents become primary caregivers for their grandchildren. In a way, it's good in that the extended family network is getting re-energized, but then sometimes it does turn into the sort of situation where the irresponsible parents just go off and have a good time.

A system that is really focused on helping people who want to raise their own children get through the hard parts seems perfectly placed.