Chicago officer didn’t shoot attacker for fear of public scrutiny, top cop says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Oct 17, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/10/chicago-officer-didnt-shoot-attacker-for-fear-of-p/

Police have to make split second decisions, and they don't always make the correct one, this is another example. Police have a duty to protect and serve, but their number one duty should always be to stay alive. It really is a shame that police are afraid to do their jobs because of political correctness. The black murder rate was up 15% last year and up almost 50% this year in Chicago . I guess black lives don't really matter to BLM, they would rather cause an unfounded race war and sacrifice black lives over ideology.

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The two Cook County Sheriff's Deputies should at the very least be placed on desk duty. Termination would be preferred.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

We need a new mobile app - one that crowd-sources the decisions cops have to make. For example, if a cop finds himself/herself face to face with a person wielding what may be a gun or may be a fake gun, everyone with the app gets an alert, and they get to give input - vote, so to speak - on what action the cop takes next. And then, when the results come in, the cop is told whether he/she should fire a weapon. And if the majority agrees that he/she should fire a weapon, the app asks for input on weather the weapon should be lethal or non-lethal, and where to aim (chest, knee, etc.).

And then for situations where the perpetrator is a minority and the cop is a white male, the app has a failsafe mechanism that prevents anyone for voting in favor of lethal force for any reason. The app simply tells the cop: "Take what's coming. The perpetrator's actions are understandable".

Who wants to get in on the ground level? This app could scale easily.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wait a minute.. If I'm reading this right, people here are calling for her to be fired because she DIDN'T kill the person that was subsequently arrested and charged with aggravated battery and attempted murder of a LEO?

No wonder the LEOs can't win, especially if you put them in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

BL.

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

AKA their job.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    You deal with that. I'm gonna hang back here on the side walk.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Their job was done. The threat was eliminated. The perpetrator is arrested and behind bars. So please remind me again of why people are complaining about LEOs not shooting the suspect?

BL.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

cause he needed shot makes some feel good.

10. webbuzz, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Me? The two female Deputies should be canned, not the female CPD officer. She could use more training though.
    Especially when she threw her arms up.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Good grief, you take the cake. In her own words she could not follow the department use of force continuum. This put her life in extreme peril. It could put another officer or the public in jeopardy too. There's no room on the street for that. Cops must be trusted to know when to turn it on and off and be willing to do it.

Your use of "she DIDN'T kill the person" is a sensational emotional appeal.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Not sure about the CPD officer. The two Deputies, yes.

eta: I see what you're saying and I agree. She will get herself or another officer killed

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So now every time an officer is injured from a suspect, people will blame it on the lack of deadly force due to being scared of public backlash? That's a sign of all out chaos to eventually come.

I would also like to know what kind of POS stun gun are they using.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

With severe injuries inflicted upon the officer in a life threatening situation. She had every right to use lethal force and should have in that situation.
    She absolutely should be terminated. That decision is a severe liability to the department and people need to know that her actions were wrong.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

If by people you mean the officer is blaming fear of public backlash.

TASER X2

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

In a situation where the officer could have prevented severe bodily harm on an obviously life threatening situation yes.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It's actually dangerous for her to say that and use that as an excuse. Will put police in more danger as well.

Sounds like hindsight talk to me. ANYBODY carrying trained or not, will fire their weapon if they feel in absolute danger during an attack. I just can't see her thinking about any public backlash while her head is being slammed on the ground.

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Maybe she will shoot the next jackass that tries that.

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Based on your sig line as of the time of this writing, is your comment quoted just now the sort of comment that big kids make?

Trump go home only big kids can debate.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Or maybe she'll shoot the next suspect that raises his arm to scratch his head. I surely wouldn't want to run into a paranoid and possibly dramatized cop.

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I don't disagree.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Getting your face smashed in is probably easier than dealing with the dim witted underbelly of society uprising because you shot a lowlife piece of ****.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

IMO, the BLM organization should show support to these officers, to show that they are not against ALL officers. If they don't, they are missing out on a big opportunity to show solidarity towards the officers that don't shoot first and ask questions later.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What's Darren Wilson up to these days? Oh that's right still hiding out.
    It was done at the cost of her being severely injured, other officers and the general public at risk.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I know, seriously. Maybe she thought her and the other officer could take this guy down. After getting your head bashed into the ground a couple times that option probably goes out the window. They might have expected this guy to act somewhat like a human being, but with PCP all bets are off. This officer probably has done more than one take down in her life- this one just happened to have not gone as anticipated.

I agree, I think this would be an excellent opportunity to begin the deep divide between the black community and law enforcement issue.

To be fair, given the extensive publicity given to such shootings, I can see how officers might be afraid to shoot an unarmed individual, especially a black one. Instant media attention, life examined under a microscope, and opening yourself, family, and department to public criticism. Then come the legal proceedings, where there have been cases of prosecutors going above and beyond with charges (which often fails). Those found innocent based on evidence are still left having to live on hiding and careers over. Then factor in the moral dilemma. I don't think most police officers go to work every day hoping to kill someone. Most I assume the opposite. She may have known this guy was on drugs or inferred a mental health condition which might make her even more hesitant.

With that in mind would you want to have to make that split second decision?

Should she be fired? I don't know... I think they depends on an evaluation of her past history, what happened in this event, and how she feels about the future. For all we know she doesn't want to return to work or will not be physically (or mentally) able.

Honestly I'm surprised with 5+ burley cops holding him down and multiple hits with the taser they didn't shoot him. I imagine that would be against rules of engagement but wow, he was not going down without a fight. That said, PCP typically does not make people more aggressive- usually it's the result of hallucinations/delusions which seem to people seem to be empowered by fear. The anesthetic affect probably blunted the physical beating he was receiving. And tasing does cause muscles to forcefully and uncontrollably contract, perhaps making the release of his hand more difficult.