Chicago Politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Starflyer, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Chicago

Body count. In the Last Six Months:

292 killed (murdered) in Chicago
    221 killed in Iraq.

Sens. Barack Obama & Dick Durbin, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., Gov. Rod Blogojevich, House leader Mike Madigan, Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan, Mayor Richard Daley.....our leadership in Illinois.....all Democrats. Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago. Of course they're all blaming each other. Can't blame Republicans, they're aren't any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country. Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country. (Look'em up if you want). Chicago school system one of the worst in country.

This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois.

He's gonna 'fix' Washington politics?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you implying that the only lives worth counting in Iraq are those of American soldiers/mercenaries? What about the hundreds of Iraqis that have been murdered in that time period?

What about the reaganomics inspired greed that has put this country in the worst financial crisis in 80 years?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It was Clinton's fault.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Chicago has a long history of rampant violent crime, it was a notorious cesspool long before Obama was born. It's nothing that a handful of politicians can turn around overnight.

In 1916, there were 198 homicides in Chicago. That same year, London, UK -- three times larger than Chicago -- recorded only 45 homicides. The murder rate in Chicago peaked in 1974, with 970 murders, and again in 1992, with 943.

After 1992, there's been a slow and steady decline, down from 943 in 1992 to 442 in 2007. Which means that in 15 years, the murder rate has gone down 53%. Clearly, whoever's been in charge for the last 15 years has been doing one heck of a job cleaning the place up.

And if you're somehow worried that "leftist" politics (I have to use quotation marks since there is no such thing as leftist politics in the US, there's only centre-right, right and far right) are the root of these problems in Chicago and elsewhere, consider the fact that in Europe -- where leftist politics actually exist -- the murder rate is 1-2 per 100,000. In the US, it's 6 per 100,000. That's what happens when you have a constitution that lets any idiot own a gun.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there are a lot of problems here in chicago. and the murder rate is highly attributed to the ever increasing gang warfare on our streets that can't be handled. this has little to do with Obama though and more with our mayor and governor. and out police force.

7. MacHipster macrumors 6502

That cow is out of control. Someone should do something before it burns the place down.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Since you bring up Chicago politics, it reminds me of McCain's line from a week or so ago that the last person he'd consult on government reform would be a Chicago politician (I'm paraphrasing from memory. Apologies in advance if I've brutalized his punch line.)

It brought to mind recent history of Arizona politics. Evan Meacham was impeached in 1988. Meacham was kicked out of office, and his successor's successor, Fife Symington III was convicted of bank fraud (later overturned).

And that's just what happens in the governor's mansion!

The point isn't that Arizona is particularly dirty (Maryland actually convicted back-to-back governors, which I believe is a record). But it does show how cheap some of the rhetoric is this year.

mt

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

According to the 2006 numbers Wikipedia mirrored...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Chicago was 20th among large US cities for per capita murder rate. Ironically, #21 on that 2006 list is Phoenix, Arizona. Now what state does Senator McCain represent again?

Don't get me wrong... even one murder is unacceptable. Even one rape, assault, or mugging is unacceptable. We need to work on our violent crime rate, and we need to eliminate poverty as a major driver of crime.

But in terms of the argument that Chicago's crime rate demonstrates Barrack Obama's inability to run our country... jigga, please.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You realize that we have 140,000 troops in Iraq and that 2,900,000 people live in Chicago, right? Big surprise that more people would be killed there. How about accounting for all of the people who died in Iraq during the past 6 months from violent ends and comparing that to a comparable population size here. Would you like me to run the numbers for you?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh thanks for insulting the city I live in and love.

You should come visit. The vast majority of the violence is contained in certain neighborhoods and that where all this crap happens. The rest of the city is beautiful, clean and friendly. I've lived here for 16 years, and I absolutely love it.

Do we have problems? Sure. But it's not as if people are dropping dead from gunfire as soon as they leave the house all over the city. Oh- and guns are illegal here.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You do realize that U.S. Senators have no part to play in city politics, right?

And I wonder how many schools in Chicago had their funding cut for "underperforming"...