Chicago Public School Bans Bag Lunches

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Chicago Public School Bans Bag Lunches

I think this is a good thing. I think that if we were truly compassionate we would ban the subjects from returning home, period, because who knows what kind of intolerable horrors the subjects are exposed to at their home environments whilst away from the public school systems omnipotence?

I can't believe subjects in other schools are still able to bring their own lunch? How patently unconstitutional. This is killing women.

:rolleyes:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"The subjects"? I believe they're commonly referred to as children. At least where I come from.

I don't think schools are doing any better. For example, a local elementary school here is serving sausage biscuit, cereal and string cheese. Or you can have stuffed crust pizza and on the size you get seasoned corn, peas or cinnamon applesauce.

They do hot pockets, BBQ, cheeseburgers, corn dogs, beef-a-roni (whatever the **** that is) and other tasty treats. Quite frankly, my school lunches brought in bags were likely to be better for me.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

School food is disgusting....... I don't know how school food is healthier than what parents pack their kids lunches with......

I couldn't wait until I was a senior so I could be allowed to go off to get my own lunch at Subway back in HS.

4. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Sarcasm is pretty hard to convey on the internet, I thought I was over-the-top enough to make it obvious but I guess not...

My bag lunches were always WAYYY healthier than the school lunches as well, not to mention cheaper. Sourdough and turkey sandwich with lettuce, string cheese, plastic baggy of teddy grahams and a capri-sun.

School lunches were things like "Breadstick Basket", which was seriously 5 breadsticks and a marinara sauce.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Nice, I wonder if they offer free food for the children that would normally bring a bag lunch...

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

We are talking about Little Village after all :rolleyes:

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Schools short on funds? Don't much like the idea of mothers chipping away at the school lunch monopoly, do they?:rolleyes: I remember trying to force down and then keep down the horde vittles that passed for school lunch when I was a kid. On the plus side, school food tastes exactly the same after it's expiration date as it does when freshly made.:p
    I'd rather go without than eat another school lunch.:mad:

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I remember school lunches.. They sold healthy food alright, at stupid prices. Portion of chips, 70p, or about 50p for a few sour grapes in a little plastic tub.

There's a million and one ways to make kids eat healthy food. Pizza- make it with a wholemeal base and liquidize some vegetables and put them in the sauce. But selling hamburgers next to a salad bar wont work, nor will removing the burgers and just selling the salad. They'll bring their own food. And if you make them eat school lunches they'll head to the kebab shop after school anyway.

You can't legislate against people eating what they want, you can educate and deter them. Call me crazy, but one day I expect to see a ban on junk food advertising and Big Macs sold in plain white boxes with health warnings on them, like cigarettes. You can forget supersize as well. That's the difference between Big Brother and a progressive government: stopping people from doing what they want, or using a combination of education and deterrents.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Steak tartare?

Is there such a thing as freshly-made school food? I would think recently reheated was the closest one could get.

Rather than just a ban on bag lunches, what about developing community curriculum to help parents make better decisions? Maybe community gardens?

A ban is easy, but doesn't do anything to solve the significant problem with nutrition in this country. We are fundamentally speaking a people without a connection to our own food and it shows through our constant consumption of all the various corn products available to us.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think this is more about money and forcing all the kids to buy school lunches means more money and it is not like the food is really that good.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wow, I don't know where your kids go to school, but the food at my son's school is pretty good, and incredibly inexpensive ($1-2/meal with a drink).

I think the problem in some cases are children coming to school without a well rounded meal, or with excessive junk food either creating disturbances or raising concerns for lack of nutrition. It was probably some kid with tons of snack food ruining it for everyone else. You can't single out one kid, you have to impose a blanket ban or nothing at all.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My school lunches were cheap, but terrible. I remember surviving off the snack bar's saliditos and chips.

I think you're right, but if it's really a nutrition thing it should be marked as an opportunity to teach rather than engage in some draconian ban.

13. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Agreed.

Mcrain- IIRC the article stated that the principle enacted the ban "after watching students bring lunches consisting of "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips. "

What a ridiculous policy... Talk about knee-jerk.

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I agree with your first comment. I regularly eat with my son's second grade class, and eat the food they serve. It's not bad at all, and I remember liking the food at my high school. But I admit I don't have the highest standards.

I'm not sure about your second comment: "You can't single out one kid, you have to impose a blanket ban or nothing at all." If by "blanket ban" you mean that they should have a blanket ban on junk food, then sure, I agree. But if you mean by "blanket ban" that to deal with one kid's junk food from home, they need to ban all brown bag lunches, that simply doesn't make sense. At all.

Back to the first part. I have the fondest memories of "apple sticks." Kind of like fried fish sticks, but with apple/cinnamon inside. If I could find those at my grocery store now, I'd buy the hell out of them.

15. codymac macrumors 6502

Google Jamie Oliver for all the details... he's on a mission to change it.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but at the same token school food compared to what my dad made me for lunch suck. BTW my home made lunch was healthier than almost all school food.

I had a sandwhich with deli meat put on it on wheat bread, drink was Brisk Ice Tea at the time, vegitable, banana and desert (those cake thingy not the healthest) but sure as hell a lot better than what the school provided and more food. Mind you school food lunch I bet was cheaper compared to what I brought from home but what I brought tasted a lot better and was much more filling.
    Why should I of suffered to go to crappy school lunch food.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

:rolleyes:

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't see how this won't end with the school district on the losing end of a lawsuit.

If I was a parent, I would send a lunch with my child everyday and get as many parents to follow suit until the principal stands down.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What he's doing is great, I just wish his TV shows weren't so confrontational.

People have forgotten what good food is. Alice Waters is doing a great job too, but it takes a huge effort and the basic re-education of parents, teachers, school boards, etc. Do schools teach home ec anymore?

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

;)

Yes.

How dare the parents subscribe to Natural Selection.

Don't they know that the fruit of their loins are needed to fuel the ovens of industry?

(I just wish the government would get out of the baby-raising business, except for criminal activity, and move on to other more pressing issues.)

21. codymac macrumors 6502

He is pretty confrontational about it. I suppose it makes for good television though.

I did like his segment on kids and chicken nuggets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9B7im8aQjo&feature=related

Seems a little silly to ban the lunches and force school food on kids considering how dreadful school food can be. I'm sure some of the parents are doing a better job of it than the schools.

I bet the ban crumbles when the first diabetic/lactose intolerant/restricted diet/student athlete kid's parents create a ruckus.

22. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

They allow people with allergies etc to bring their own lunch - its not an all out ban in that regards. I think its an interesting experiment. Either way what Americans eat in general really needs to change or our healthcare cost are going to skyrocket even more.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As an example, if parents would introduce their infants to peanut butter, they would develop antibodies to prevent Anaphylactic shock.

As me Mom often said "Everyone must eat a peck of dirt before they die."

Too much authoritative codling going on right now, IMO.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Whenever the school is required to act, namely in circumstances where they put out guidelines regarding school lunches and parents choose to ignore those guidelines, the action has to be neutral. It can't single out just the poor kids, just the fat kids, just the ethnic kids. In other words, you can't ban curry just because you have one child who brings it. You can't say skinny kids can bring a candy bar, but the big kid can't have a lunch consisting of only candy bars.

The purpose of a blanket rule is to avoid litigation and to eliminate discretionary enforcement (singling out the big kid, but turning a blind eye to the candy bar in the skinny kid's lunchbox).

A lot of litigation over a lot of other issues has resulted in what, in my opinion, is a pretty silly blanket rule. Thus the idea that a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. By the time I graduated from High School, the older kids' penchant for destruction made it a lot harder for an 18 year old to get a hotel room for prom.

25. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Then they could start giving packed lunches a mark out of 5 and writing to parents about it. Yes, that happened at a school here.

It's stupid beyond belief. Schools and teachers are not parents. Provided kids aren't arriving with uranium topped with cyanide for lunch they should back off.