Chicago student arrested for threatening "to kill 16 white male students"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smellysox8, Dec 1, 2015.

1. smellysox8 macrumors regular

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...eat-idUSKBN0TJ23K20151130#YyGjerVUSUIJB1ej.97

University of Chicago cancelled classes yesterday due to the threat.

2. pdqgp, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Guess Mr. Jabari R. Dean you're mama is disappointed. Boy you shoulda kept your butt in school.

[​IMG]

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wonder if they'll prosecute this as a hate crime.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey, what do you know? Black people can be racist too! Color me surprised!

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

They should shoot him in the head 16 times with a potato gun. The little toy ones now folks. Don't get all nervous.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

9. smellysox8 thread starter macrumors regular

I think you have the wrong picture. The man pictured only shot his wife, killed his 7 year old son and fed the remains to pigs.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You're right. My bad. Then they should just feed the above guy to the same group of pigs. I'd then drop those pigs from planes over known ISIS grounds.

Here's the best I could find on the real guy. I'll reserve what I want to say about their striking similarities for my own amusement so as not to offend others :D

[​IMG]

Link this time:
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11...ats-of-gun-violence-at-university-of-chicago/

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think he was misunderstood. I think it all stems from the time he was 8yrs old and the youth basketball league he played in at the time kept score and standings. His team must have gone 0'fer and he's never dealt with the psychological trauma of that situation. Really, Mr. Dean is a victim in all of this. He should be allowed back in school and the rest of the kids should undergo sensitivity training.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Well, at least they didn't use his High School graduation picture. :confused:

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now all black people have to come out against this guy.

What a pain this new standard is ... where some group has to denounce a crime or else be associated with it.

What a stupid standard to live by.

Right? So stupid.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

That's not PC of you Fine Sir. They are African Americans by today's standards. Unless they are from the Southside then they are ChiRaques.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Excellent reading comprehension, sir!

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

...ree...ding?

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Why would this be a hate crime? Those laws were put in place to try and reduce violence against minorities.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, hate crimes are meant to dissuade racial violence and bigotry, and work in all directions, regardless of the race of the perpetrator.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

they were put in place in response to studies that indicated an increase in crimes motivated by many types of prejudice.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most likely they will. After all he specifically said it was motivated by race, and I'm pretty sure by prosecuting it as a hate crime they can get a tougher sentence than they otherwise could considering he was caught before carrying out his plan.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, it's stupid. Nobody should have to come out against this guy - it should already be obvious to any reasonable person (of any race or whatever) that this guy is a more or less isolated problem.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

18 U.S. Code § 249 - Hate crime acts
    An African-American can certainly be tried and convicted for a hate-crime against white people. It happens all the time. According to FBI statistics, roughly 19% of hate-crimes are perpetrated against white people.

Thats not a "good" thing. But it does show that the laws were not put in place simply to benefit one group over another.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I actually suspect learning early on that you won't always win is helpful. Kids learn to deal with these things while their brains and habits are still forming.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm gathering that the concept of hate crimes were introduced by the Jews. At the top of search is the Anti-Defamation League and they're really big on defining and combating what they call hate crimes.

I think hate crimes are a crock. A man who is killed out of hate is not deader than dead. There's a law for that. If a group is into killing another group, there are laws for that also.

In New York, I ride the bus and see signs on it that says it's 7 years jail time and it's a felony to assault a bus driver. Am I not entitled to the same protection? It's like the Baby on Board signs of a generation ago. It's as though suddenly, all vehicles in the vicinity have to stop and allow the baby-bearing car safe passage. Kind of like what goes on when a school bus stops in today's world.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's a specific deterrent, not a value of specific lives. If plumbers were victimized with violence as much as bus drivers, then it would be a harsh sentence too.