Chicago's Homan Square "black site".

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ChrisWB, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The Guardian has just released an exposé about Homan Square, a secret detention facility in the heart of Chicago that has been used to unlawfully detain, interrogate, and sometimes brutally batter Chicago citizens.

Citizens who are held in this facility are "disappeared". There's no arrest record, the arrestees are not read their Miranda rights, and they typically have no access to a lawyer.

Here is a direct link to the article.

The Guardian also released a profile of the Homan Square black site. Here is a link to that article for those who are interested in the history of the building and its use.

A few quotes from the first article:

My personal thoughts: I'm shocked that this could occur in Chicago without being brought to light and challenged. I grew up in the northern Chicago suburbs, attended my first university downtown, and worked at my first job just north of the loop. The Chicago police always struck me as helpful if generally distant. There's no excuse for violating rights in this way, and I hope that this prompts an outcry among Chicago residents.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, Chicago is where Obama first learned police-state theory.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, here we go.

I think if we looked hard enough, I would bet that LAPA and NYPD operate in similar structures and much of this is post-9/11 thinking predicated by the Bush administration's willingness to ignore the U.S. Constitution.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama is an absolute master at wielding the intelligence apparatus against his own citizens, far exceeding the focused malevolence of the Bush/Cheney junta. He had to learn it somewhere and I doubt it was at Punahou School.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt this stuff started post 9/11. It's probably been going on for decades.

----------

Source?

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The Obama administration has been more than willing to continue many of the programs created by the Bush administration, but you're going to have to show that the Obama administration has exceeded the "focused malevolence" of the Bush-era.

(BTW, focused malevolence is a great phrase).

This isn't meant as a defense of the Obama administration as a search for equivalence, rather I think we should look at the creation and operation of facilities in their context.

I've said before, one of the great ironies in voting for the Constitutional scholar was we installed a Constitutional hacker rather than a Constitutional defender.

In this regard, Obama has been as bad as Yoo.

Police departments have always tried to play dirty games like this, but the post-9/11 world shifted these kinds of policies from the occasional corruption agencies to structural practice.

It's worth noting that the post-9/11 world was also the era when privately-owned prisons grew into maturity, holding people for all manner of offenses from drugs to illegal immigration.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I meant that he has cast the net far wider. And thanks, I made that up as I was typing.

I'm as anti Bush/Cheney as anyone and voted for O in 2008 believing he was the antidote to their poison. Alas, he was not.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure, here you go.

11. ChrisWB thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll be blunt: this is not about Obama. This has no relevance to Obama. Stop injecting Obama into this topic. Your obsession with him is off-putting.

Based on the articles that I linked in the original post, the Homan Square black site operations began in the 1980s while Ronald Reagan was president. However, it has nothing to do with Reagan either. This is a local Chicago police scandal.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I get the impression that many police are feeling that they are above the law.

They seem to forget that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS, and not our MASTERS.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not surprising, given the fact that the U.S. government is foisting all sorts of military hardware on local police departments.

Police departments get billions of federal dollars to fight the "war on drugs" and no federal dollars to solve "ordinary" crimes like rape, murder, and assault. So what do they spend most of their time doing?

I highly recommend this documentary:

http://tribecafilm.com/tribecafilm/filmguide/how-to-make-money-selling

It's eye-opening.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nothing surprises me with CPD, City of Chicago, or Cook County.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

LMAO .... I was just about to say something myself. It's like you tossed raw meat in the lion's den.

16. ChrisWB thread starter macrumors 6502

The police in the neighbourhood where I grew up (northern part of Cook County) were great. They were polite, friendly, outgoing, and ran quite a lot of community outreach programs.
    This does seem to be a problem. It seems like this attitude started in the late 1980s and it has been escalating until now. We seem to be at a breaking point as a nation given all of the recent police scandals. I hope that it leads us to a better, less-violent, less-intrusive place.
    I honestly don't understand why some people enjoy posting inflammatory, off-topic messages. Do they get some sort of cheap thrill out of the experience?

In this particular case it illustrates a problem with the extreme conservatives of the US. Moderate conservatives like myself do not feel that Obama has been an effective president, but we also don't feel the need to point that out every five seconds. In fact, we would rather simply not talk about him, or any other politician for that matter, because we have enough going on in our daily lives. Rabid extremists only serve to alienate voters like me because we roll our eyes and tune them out. They effectively drive people away from voting for the Republican party.

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

What the **** does Punahou have to do with anything?

18. VulchR, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The current extremism in the Republican Party will either burn itself out (most likely as older conservative people die) it will be the end of the party.

In any case, this is shocking if the allegations are true.

19. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Unfortunately people like Paul Ryan, for example, are not that old at all.

20. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I didn't mention Cook County Sheriff.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Every single person involved should have their home and office raided by the FBI and be carted off the federal prison on a slew of civil rights violations related charges.

----------

You think Chicago is a republican city?

22. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I honestly don't think that is what he was implying.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Chicago is one of the most democrat infected cities in the nation. DNC representation. DNC politicians. DNC majority population.

The republican party doesn't even factor into the story.

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I'm not denying any of that. I'm just saying I honestly don't believe that he was implying that Chicago was a "republican" city.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What do you mean he "has cast the net far wider."

I think the biggest difference between the Obama and Bush administration is how furiously the Obama administration has gone after journalists for their access to leaks.

That said, the use of drones is new, but the Bush administration laid the groundwork for extra-judicial killings and operations in Yemen, etc.

Exactly. And, I find it endlessly frustrating that we don't have an apparent candidate in 2016 who will be different.

Clinton will carry on the current administration's policies and Republicans seem determined to double down if they're not just keeping the status quo.