Chick-Fil-A finally doing the right thing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Moyank24, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

An update on the Chick-Fil-A situation. Looks like some progress has been made, which is always a good thing. What a turn of events, if this is true. Especially because the loudest voices during that whole storm were the bigots (as they usually are).

Source

Note: I made a new thread because the old thread was locked. Mods are welcome to combine.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will still be boycotting them until I am sure this change is locked in and even then I will be very limited to it due to pass behavior.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm. Sorry, but i don't buy it for a second. I'll wait for Chick-Fil-A to say something first.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

All they want to say to you is eat more chicks. ;) (Edit - Not you Moyank24!)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just threw up in my mouth a little. ;)

6. Moyank24 thread starter macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed. I don't see myself ever going in there, but if this is true it's a step in a positive direction.

Something tells me that even if it is true, the LGBT groups will be louder about this than the company will - don't want to piss off all of those chicken lovers who have proven they don't care about equality.

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I'll continue to not eat there even if they do a 180 and start donating to GLAAD, simply because they're a horrible company overall (and make ****** food).

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I wouldn't want them to do the right thing because of someone twisting their arm and pressuring them into it, I would only want them to do it if they had a true change of heart. Better for them to be honest than politically correct in my opinion.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sometimes a true change of heart starts by someone twisting your arm.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- maybe. I have my doubts about this though.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Racial segration didn't end in the US because we had a collective 'a-ha!' moment. It ended through laws and peer pressure. If someone is content and complacent with their world view only an external force will get them to move beyond their comfort zone. 'Going green' is another example. How many companies do it totally of their own volition and how many did it as a reaction to bad press (or the fear of bad getting bad press)? What starts as a begrudging change will hopefully transform into an accepted part of the company's culture.

I'm not saying that Chick-Fil-A is going to turn over a new leaf immediately but a small change/concession today could be the gateway to a bigger change tomorrow.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps- but when you look at the company's culture at large, I think they'll just find another way to funnel cash to these groups. "Family values" are a big deal there. I find it hard to believe that they will simply walk away from that.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You certainly could be right. If the nation at large stays divided then that will make it easier for Chick-Fil-A to maintain its status quo. If the nation at large becomes less homophobic then Chick-Fil-A will have no choice but to follow suit.

14. 184550 Guest

Eh. In two or three years they'll starting having some sort of 'Gay Day' or similar promotion like Target did recently. Then everyone will glad hand them and say what good corporate citizens they are; sort of like what happened in this thread.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I seriously doubt that, for reasons I stated earlier. The devil will be wearing ice skates before they do any such thing. Homophobia and religion are rooted in their corporate culture.

16. Moyank24 thread starter macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed. Aren't the majority of their locations in the South? I certainly never heard of them until I moved down here. A big, big difference between a store like Target which is everywhere and a company like Chick-Fil-A.

The win here (if this is proven to be true) is that these organizations have one less donor.

And the closest thing Chick-Fil-A will get to gay day is having Mickey and Minnie Mouse at local stores (which they do quite often here). Just don't let any of them know how gay Disney is.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- they're mainly in the South.

18. 184550 Guest

Here. Or here for your viewing pleasure.

Ergo your assumption must be correct. I'm surprised Lee didn't lecture you on the irrelevancy of personal experiences.

19. leekohler, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What was Moyank wrong about? Said they were mainly in the South, and they are. This from your own link.

Attached Files:

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

Even if, behind closed doors, they continue their "family values" work, there at least is the public face of tolerance and acceptance. Which should be welcomed, because people ARE influenced by what they observe around them. If every CFA customer upon walking into the restaurant sees a sign stating "We treat every person with honor, dignity and respect - regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender." then I think lasting good will be done. And if enough people change their views, perhaps the CFA will eventually reflect on the actions and realize the harm they've done, and what's the right thing to do. Maybe it'll take retirement of the old guard, or maybe it'll be a true change of heart, but even surface changes like this can be a good thing, IMO.

I haven't been to a CFA since the whole controversy, and while I've enjoyed getting more veggies from some different restaurants, I still don't necesarily eat as well as I should, I do really like the taste of the spicy sandwich, and maybe I'll be back eventually.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's never been an issue of how they treat people. It's about what groups they donate to.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't trust Chik-Fil-A's change of heart anymore than I'd trust Mitt Romney saying he's sorry.

Politicians will say anything to win your vote.

And businesses will say anything to win your buck.

No sale.

23. elistan macrumors 6502a

I think you mean "treat people in their restaurants"? True. But at least if they put on the face of tolerance, perhaps they'll influence the thoughts and behavior of some of their customers, and make they groups the donate too that much less accepted. Also, there are unconfirmed reports that they've agreed to change who they donate to. I guess I'll wait and see if there's any further news about that.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...yeah- that's in the OP. ;)

25. 184550 Guest

If one ignores the Northeast, West Coast and Midwest, then sure.