Chick Fil A Founder - Dies at 93

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Truett Cathy founder of Chick Fil A and Dwarf House passed away at 93-year-old. Many may remember his son Dan Cathy made a statement that upset people a few years back, mentioning that all the leadership of CFA was family and still married to their first wives.

Over the years, that I've known Truett Cathy, he and his family have always been quick to contribute and never ask for anything in return. Wednesday will be a very bad day for traffic in Jonesboro, Georgia. There will be a huge turn out at the First Baptist Church which is affectionally knows as Chick Fil A Baptist by the locals.

From the Clayton News Daily

ATLANTA — Truett Cathy spent his life building a fast food empire based on “the original chicken sandwich,” raising a family, teaching Sunday school, helping employees go to college and giving a home to foster children.
* The man who launched the chain that would become Chick-fil-A out of a “Dwarf House” diner in Hapeville died eary Monday morning, the company confirmed. Cathy was 93-years old.
* The fast food giant’s funeral will be held Wednesday at First Baptist Church of Jonesboro, where his family has attended church for years.

Last edited:

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
That's too bad. Think I will go get some Chick Fil A today in tribute.
I would too, but their food is bland and the vast amount of fast food options in my area allow me to be picky. Actually, I probably wouldn't have anyway come to think of it. Regardless, This should probably be in current events though, because their is really nothing political or religious about it, nor is it a social issue.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Not sure why this isn't in Current Events....

It looks like he led a long, full life, though.
Regardless, This should probably be in current events though, because their is really nothing political or religious about it, nor is it a social issue.

You know why it's in here. Southern Dad just trying to stir the pot, as usual.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Not sure why this isn't in Current Events....

It looks like he led a long, full life, though.
I would too, but their food is bland and the vast amount of fast food options in my area allow me to be picky. Actually, I probably wouldn't have anyway come to think of it. Regardless, This should probably be in current events though, because their is really nothing political or religious about it, nor is it a social issue.
I put it in here because the Cathy family are right wing, Christians. After the Dan Cathy scandal of a few years ago with his comments about being married to his first and only wife, I was afraid that it wouldn't make it long in Current Events.

But if an administrator wants to move it, I'm sure they will.

----------

I was asking myself the same thing. I'm quite shocked he lived this long running a fast-food chain.
Chick Fil A actually has pretty healthy food for a fast food chain. Would it surprise you with all the cow ads to know that the Chick Fil A Dwarf Houses in the metro area serve hamburgers?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
If he ate fried food that often, he's pretty damn lucky to have lived to that age. I can only hope for the same. I love fried food.
Talk about simple. No need for all that extra stuff.

430 calories

Contains 17 grams of fat, 430 calories and zero grams of trans fat. Chick-fil-A® Spicy Chicken Sandwich: A boneless breast of chicken seasoned with a spicy blend of peppers, hand-breaded, pressure cooked in 100 percent refined peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttered bun with dill pickle chips.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Chick Fil A actually has pretty healthy food for a fast food chain. Would it surprise you with all the cow ads to know that the Chick Fil A Dwarf Houses in the metro area serve hamburgers?
I don't exactly know what he ate from his restaurant but looking at the nutrition value... Sodium overdose!!

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States

430 calories

Contains 17 grams of fat, 430 calories and zero grams of trans fat. Chick-fil-A® Spicy Chicken Sandwich: A boneless breast of chicken seasoned with a spicy blend of peppers, hand-breaded, pressure cooked in 100 percent refined peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttered bun with dill pickle chips.
I don't doubt that it's not immediately bad for you and may not cause you to gain weight if eaten in moderation, but oil fried food is still artery clogging regardless of how many calories are in it.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Talk about simple. No need for all that extra stuff.

430 calories

1390mg of sodium

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Of course, I feel for his family and honor his contribution.

I personnally don't like Chick-Fil-A, though. I live in South Carolina, and I don't know about the chain in other states, but I can't stand eating there because of the almost cult-like atmosphere of the place. The music playing overhead is comprised of 3 or 4 religi-chords in endless succession, and the forced "my pleasure" by the staff is discomforting.

And the food is bland.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I don't exactly know what he ate from his restaurant but looking at the nutrition value... Sodium overdose!!
Such is the case with eating out pretty much anywhere. As long as you don't eat out three meals a day and track your intake its not that hard at all to stay under on sodium.

----------

Back to the original point of the post though, Cathy was a great man and it is a sad day to hear about his passing. His work with orphaned children alone was incredibly admirable.

RIP Mr. Cathy.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
That wasn't what the scandal was about at all, was it? I couldn't imagine anyone getting up in arms over a guy being married to his first wife for years and years.
He's just trying to provoke us communist liberals :D

Status
Not open for further replies.