Chick-fil-A hates cancer survivors.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Sep 15, 2014.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...s-medical-leave-for-double-mastectomy09102014

Until she had to battle cancer. Then they demoted her, and cut her hours and benefits.

So, they also cut off her healthcare.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...r-survivor-who-alleges-discrimination09152014

So, they lied?

I have eaten Chick Fil A, I didn't even care about them hating gays,

But to cut off a Cancer survivor who was willing to work?

They won't get a dime of my money again, ever.

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

On accusation at a single store and you make a decision to never deal with the entire company again? Wow! I hope someone never accused one of your employees doesn't ever do something that upsets one of your customers... If the customer thinks like you, he would cut off all ties with your company.

3. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I would hope so, if one of my workers ever tried to pull something like that ( not that they could, but lets pretend I owned a few Subways ), whomever did that would be out on their ass looking for a new job without a reference.

Chick-Fil-A as I am sure you know, is one of the few franchises out there that has COMPLETE control over all its stores, what they should have done when this story broke is say " Hey listen, we screwed this up, this isn't right, this isn't what our company is about and we better than this. " But they haven't, they've just gone after the worker.

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

No problem. We're well experienced at it.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's painting with a broad brush.
    Got a source for that claim?

Chick-Fil-A is not different from other franchises where the company wants the franchise operated in a specific way. That's part of why they are franchises in the first place.
    Just for a note about my point of reference, in our small town, we had both a CFA-owned CFA, in a mall, and a stand-alone CFA, privately owned (as that one in the news item). The private one was much better, and the mall location closed out, mostly due to poor local management.

6. Southern Dad, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Since I live, work and play all over the Atlanta market, I see many of both, franchised and corporate. In addition, we have Truett's and Dwarf House. I can't imagine that Chick Fil A corporate condones this but I also don't think that corporate knows everything going on in every location with every employee. It's not like Walmart where Bentonville can log into local stores cameras.

Let's be truthful, the reason that this even made a thread is that someone was looking for a reason to paint Chick Fil A as a horrible company and the Cathy Family as horrible people. Look at the title of the thread… It states that CFA hates cancer survivors. It doesn't say that one franchise owner in Colorado made a decision to change her from full-time to part-time. But mentioning that wouldn't get all the liberals up in arms, so the OP opted for trying to damn the whole company. You used the plural, can you cite other cases that CFA has demonstrated hatred toward a cancer survivor?

Further he went on to say that he wouldn't spend any money with the company because of this ever again. From his own link, this clear statement is there.

If Chick Fil A hates cancer survivors, how do you explain this list of giving that the company has done which includes cancer charities?

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, thumbs up to hating gays. :rolleyes:

We already don't eat at Chick Fil A, but I'd like to know if all of their restaurants are franchises or are a mix of franchises and company owned? If this happened at a franchise, I don't know how much ability the parent company has to meddle in the management of one of their franchises. It does appear to give the chain a worse name than it all ready has among people who expect fair treatment of employees.

8. Southern Dad, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This happened at a franchise. The franchise is called Chick-Fil-A at Larkridge. The Franchise Operator is Barrie Friedman Goettsche. She is the owner/operator. The owner claims that she was not fired but that it was just part of her restructuring.

This franchise owner supports an annual 5k race for cancer held in May. So I wouldn't say that she hates cancer survivors. I would say that she didn't make a great HR move and at a minimum she needs to be very open and transparent about this. I'm willing to bet Daphne will settle for an undisclosed sum of money and we won't hear about it again.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, bottom line is you're sick, we can't depend on you, tough luck, good luck. ;)

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Do you agree with painting the entire company as hating cancer survivors because of the actions of a single franchise owner/operator in Colorado? CFA has approximately 1800 locations. Are we condemning them all based upon this one accusation?

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually no I don't. I'm commenting on this particular case.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I agree that this case doesn't seem right. And I think that it bears a good going over by some of those alphabet agencies and the of course, the lawyers.

But I think that this thread was written to try to bring hatred to bear against Chick-Fil-A. It completely mischaracterizes the company. The OP even goes as far as to state that he will never spend money with the company again, which is his right. The thread title should have been something like: "Chick-Fil-A Franchise Owner Demotes Cancer Survivor" or "CFA Employee Demoted After Surviving Cancer." But those don't paint the whole company in a bad light, so instead the OP opted for "Chick-fil-A hates cancer survivors" even using the plural to insinuate that the Atlanta based company is just a horrible organization that can't stand anyone who lives through cancer.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree that the thread title is geared to produce an emotional response to CFA in general.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

A store represents a company....... If one store lets you down, the whole company has let you down.....

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wow, not many places that you can go spend your money, is there? One football player beats his wife, we disavow the NFL? One priest misbehaves, we write off the whole church? One television star acts stupid, we write off the network?

This case hasn't even been decided locally, yet. So what action do you think Chick-Fil-A corporate should take? Would CFA be wrong to take any action at all since the franchise owner hasn't been found in the wrong?

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The reality is that parent companies of franchises don't as a rule get involved in the management of privately owned franchises unless of course enough bad press is generated due to a controversial decision. Then there is probably some clause they can evoke to bring pressure on the individual restaurant with the threat of revoking their franchise.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I am certain you are correct. While I've not read their franchise agreements, I'll be those clauses are in there. However, I'm also willing to bet there are some laws that stop them from taking any action when they are just accused of something but it hasn't been proven, yet.

18. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

They're good at what matters- they make great chicken. I'm not going to judge them based on 1 issue.

I will be going there today actually.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I've never seen so much angst over a chain of fast food restaurants.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just had lunch there. Yummy!:D

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Debatable. :p

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

It has msg :mad:

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

For obvious reasons, I haven't eaten there in years. And before that, I may have eaten it once or twice.

That said, regardless of my views, I thought their chicken was awful. I know that I'm in the minority here (the drive thru lines in Houston during lunch are sometimes 25 cars long :eek:), but I just don't get it.

Regarding the OP, this is a local thing, not a Chick-Fil-A corporate thing.

To recap:

They still love cancer survivors! The gays, though... ;)

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

To be fair, they did offer the gays, and gay supporters that were protesting the restaurants lemonade because it was August and hot outside.

[​IMG]

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

From a companies point of view..... from a customer point of view thats not so.

If I see a logo on two shops, same logo, but each a different franchise, it doesn't make a jot of difference to me whether they're owned by seperate people, they're under the same brand, they are the same company.

----------

But in all of those situations you've spoken about the NFL/Church/Network would act pretty quickly in at least putting out a statement and trying to resolve the situation.....

Also I don't need a misbehaving priest to write off the church, some sound logic does that.