Chick-fil-A's Ethos Is Questioned

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 184550 Guest

Charlotte Observer Article

I think that some (notice I said 'some' and not 'all', Lee) in the Gay Rights Movement are blindly assuming that all Christians are the same and have an agenda against Gay Rights. That's a tragic mistake on their part. Not everyone who happens to go to church is against (collective) you.

I think that it is important to note, for those who have not been to Chick-fil-A, there is no overtly religious tone in the actual restaurants. The only thing that would tip you off that they might be religious is the note on the Hours Open sheet on the door that notes the business is closed on Sundays.

I was actually unaware of the overtly religious nature of their corporate training structure. However, being a privately held company, I see nothing wrong with their practices.

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

There's nothing wrong with it and they should go no where. Their chicken is far superior to McDonald's and Wendy's. They finally opened a few in the Chicago area too.

3. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

It's private, they can do what they want. What do gays have against this? Do the restaurants do something "anti-gay", or are they just against anything Christian? I don't get it.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think most people choose to eat there because...

1. The food is very good
    2. The customer service is the best in the fast food business
    3. The restaurant is always clean
    4. The people are genuinely friendly, helpful and smiling

Not because of their support of an ideology

5. 184550 thread starter Guest

This seems to be the mindset of some in the Gay community.

I completely agree. I don't know anyone that goes there in support of an ideology.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Haven't we discussed this here before. A privately held company who is open about their faith. I see nothing wrong with it until they stop serving ALL customers. When they do that, then come talk to me.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It's the fact that the chicken is freaking amazing. I am a pescetarian but I cheat and eat their chicken.

This particular group of gays wants the chicken so bad that they have come to an impasse. If they eat the chicken then they are hurting teh gays by eating at a religiously based company. If they don't eat there then they miss out on the chicken.

What to do? Oh I know. Let's make a fuss and try to make the company get rid of their beliefs so that they can enjoy the chicken but not feel guilty like they are supporting an anti-gay establishment whatever that is.

Childish.

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

And by the same token, if some groups are in disgreement with any ideology they think Chik-Fil-A has, they are free to avoid/boycott the place.

There are tons of places in my state closed on Sundays due to blue laws. Is it old-fashioned and inconvenient? Sure. Does it make the laws and lawmakers explicitly anti-gay? Not really.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

As much as Chick-fil-A has the right to have a religious fast food restaurant (and use religion as criteria for hiring), gays have to right to boycott and protest it.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I thought they were a chicken fast food restaurant
    I have never been served religion there

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree, well put.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

OK. As much as Chick-fil-A has the right to have a fast food restaurant owned by a conservative religious corporation and use religion as criteria for hiring, gays have to right to boycott and protest it.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Totally agree

And the chicken biscuits are as good or better than the chicken sandwiches

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'll take your word for it. Never been there, but I rarely go to fast food chains.

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I agree...other than the place being closed on Sundays, they aren't overtly religious. At least the ones I've been to. So I wouldn't feel like a bad gay for eating there. One store shouldn't reflect the entire company.

Though, I do feel like I'm missing something. I mean, it's good chicken, but when I first moved here the way people were talking about it I thought it was going to be crazy special. Tastes like regular chicken to me.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say religion should not be a criteria for hiring but they can preach the religion stuff all they want and tell there management to do it as well.

I have heard of this story before hand and have not dug into it much but part of me wonders if Gays groups who want to protest it are reading to much into their actions.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I don't think the point is that Chick-fil-A pushes their religion on the public in their restaurants. It's what they do on a broader scale. The corporation is conservative Christian, and conservative Christians fight the against the gay "agenda."

The previous discussion was about how they use religion as a criteria in hiring. In a roundabout manner, if I remember correctly.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's reading into it a little too much...I don't think you can eat gay or eat anti gay...that sounds very unappetizing.

CF is closed on Sundays due to it being a Southern base and the fact that (historically) stores, especially in the South, sell a very small amount of product relative to the rest of the week. Also, by doing this, you stand above other FF chains in an area where Christianity is the dominant religion and almost anyone will give a company more business if they are under the impression that they have a similar ideology to themselves. How pissed off would all those hardcore Christians be if they started running on Sundays? They may actually lose more business than gain. IIRC the initial reason they were closed was more because no one would want to work on Sunday and they could not staff their initial locations. Point is, the founder was and is religious, but is also a very smart man. He is also not a Christian whackjob, although he is constantly picked on because Chick Fillet is founded and still ran on a slightly different ideology than other FF places. No way in hell would he or his board what is in question to happen.

Why? Take a look at the demographics of people who eat Chick Fillet; younger persons comprise a large portion of their billions per year. Their presence on college campuses and areas of youth dominance means that they are interacting with people who have much more liberal views in regards to homosexuality. While older persons may not stop eating it if they did this, college campuses would flip **** and financial repercussions would be grave. A lot of reports are saying this is individual stores and owners/employees acting. Keep in mind that since CF is a 'religious' institution, it may attract people who are far more 'religious' than the company ideology.

Their ethics have been pretty good for a large corporation and I would be slow to point the finger in this instance as I doubt we have any idea as to what actually happened.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never heard of them before. Apparently, they have no stores in the greater NYC area.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I wouldn't want to stereotype based on one location out of thousands. Or stereotype only because they are conservative Christians. How would that make me any different than those stereotyping gays?

Now if it is shown to be on a broader, corporate scale than I wouldn't give them another dime.

21. redwarrior, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I don't believe they were/are closed on Sunday because no one would want to work (although that may be a small part of it); I think it's because they want to encourage their employees to worship and spend time with their families on Sunday. It's just good management to care about your employees' families too.

Check out the cows. :p Warning: Flash ahead! :eek:

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There's one at NYU.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Someone needs to tell them that all that Flash is not very Christ-like. ;)

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I eat there because its in my food court at college(its an express one, but that means its even quicker to get food from) and at home their milkshakes are amazing.

And of course the sandwiches and fries are top notch.

Still, I'd rather they be open on sunday, I get hungry then too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.