Chicken cruelty? Really?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalWizrd, Dec 11, 2015.

1. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I happened to catch a local (North Carolina) news story last night about a Perdue Chicken worker who was charged with cruelty to animals... chickens in this case. They showed a video of him throwing chickens into a coop.

Somehow, I have difficulty getting worked up over showing more kindness to chickens before we kill them and eat them. Maybe I'm overly cruel-hearted, but really...

It makes me ponder the situations where a convicted prisoner sentenced to death must be in good health before the sentence can be carried out. We need to make sure the convicted prisoner is healthy and feeling OK before we kill him.

I guess I'm just a mean guy...

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Agree I have a feeling that the 24 hour news services, have in some way contributed to these NON stories, it's now harder to tell the entertainment, from the news, from the satire.:(

3. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Have you seen the video?

---------------

EDIT:

He may not deserve jail time. But a fine and being fired would be the right punishment.

One thing is killing animals because that is your job, another one is what this guy did.

4. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

Yes. I love chickens.

Fried, roasted, baked, ...

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So "throwing chickens into a coop" is "cruelty to animals", yet factory farming 40+ billion chickens and pumping them full of hormones and chemicals so we can kill and eat them isn't?

Oh, America...

6. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I have nothing against farming and killing animals for human consumption. I also love chicken, beef and fish. And I really don't care if they don't treat these animals as pets. But making killing animals as if it was a game to enjoy is disturbing.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cruelty isn't something you become immune to. Every act has its impact and the pain is inflicted upon those who suffer through it. There's no need to compound it, whether we're talking chickens or human beings.

Additionally, the cruelty also impacts the person being cruel. Their minds are corrupted by taking pleasure from (or at least being indifferent to) inflicting pain and suffering. The chicken will be dead in a matter of days. But the person will live for years with a mind that cultivates sadism. That person actually suffers far more than the chicken, though they're likely to be too blind and ignorant to understand it.

8. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

OK, I guess I'm blind and ignorant as well.

Woe is me.

9. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Eating meat inevitably involves the death of an animal. Most people accept that; and as human beings we are part of a natural food chain.

The question of the intrinsic cruelty of "factory farming" of chickens and other livestock is one that I think reasonable people may debate. But the actions shown in the video were not, in any way imaginable, part of ethical or even efficient meat production. They showed a poorly trained and supervised individual taking out his rage, boredom, and frustration on defenseless creatures.

The concern I have, beyond the needless cruelty show, is that it makes me question whatever other questionable practices may be employed in the raising and slaughtering of chickens at the facility in question. Stomping on a bird's head with a filthy boot is not an acceptable - or hygienic - means of slaughter.

Billions of animals give their lives so that we can enjoy affordable; tasty; nutritious; and safe food. The least we can do is ensure that there is in place a system that treats those animals with a modicum of respect. That factory worker wasn't just showing disrespect and cruelty to the animals in his charge - he was showing disrespect to his employers and the people who will go on to consume the meat produced.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you don't think it matters how much cruelty you engage in ... then maybe.

But I have a hard time believing you actually think that's true.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The one biggest problem with factory farming is one that might end up coming around to bite us in the ass. We have all these animals packed into tiny spaces, with barely enough room to move. Diseases run rampant in this type of environment, so we compensate by overloading them with antibiotics.

What we're doing is creating a giant petri dish for superevolving some strains of bacteria, making them resistant or immune to any countermeasure modern medicine can throw at them. The worst case scenario would be a disease jumping cross-species, attacking human immune systems, and burning through the population like Plague tore through Europe during the Dark Ages without anything to halt its progress.

We're already reaping the rewards of abusing antibiotics in mostly sterile hospital environments with resistant strains of Staph. Imagine what could develop in as filthy an environment as a factory farm.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm not sure any of us would eat meat or even veggies if we saw all the behind the scenes stuff that likely goes on with it. Cook it to appropriate temps and hope your immune system is strong.

On this subject, I definitely think what the workers are doing is wrong as it's plain unncessary. IMO I'm not feeling as bad for the animals as the humans. The cruel factor is there but the birds are going to die anyway so it's not like they have feelings or nightmares that will linger. However, the people working there to do those things aren't doing themselves or those they associate with any favors as they are the next mental case this country will face.

In closing, I like my chicken in a number of ways. BBQ is my favorite.

14. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

How much research has gone into this? Can antibiotics really survive the cooking process?

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That video sickens me. There's no excuse for that, I don't care that the animals are destined for slaughter.

Plus, it's pretty well established that animal cruelty is a red flag for sociopathy.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Looks like animal cruelty to me. Just cause they are gonna die soon doesn't mean you need to abuse them. Guy probably has some sort of problem...after they fire him, they better look out for him coming back to the christmas party.

That being said... Those are gonna be some angry birds! Get it? Angry birds, like the game???? Man, with a dry, cool wit like that, I could host the tonight show.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Quite a bit.

It's been identified as a problem

It's not the antibiotics themselves that are the issue. It's their overuse in concentrated environments that can allow some strains of bacteria to mutate defenses against it over a very short amount of time, creating potentially incurable infectious agents that's the issue.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

It's less that the antibiotics survive the cooking process, more the way that they're used in agriculture.

Indiscriminate use of antibiotics carries with it the risk of generating super-bacteria. Essentially you're sorta selecting for the ones that are most resistant to antibiotics.

Sooner or later one of the bacteria will begin infecting humans and we'll have no antibiotics that work on it. We're already seeing such bacteria that don't come from agriculture, we don't need to breed more of them this way.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, that link to the strain of resistant staph I posted above, I think I remember reading it originally came from hospitals in India, where they practically hand out antibiotics like candy.

Bacteria and viruses (virii...whatevs) are highly mutable, and will find ways to resist medicines if they have a constant stressor forcing them to do so. Considering the agri business uses 80% of the antibiotics used in the US, and the environments they're used in are enclosed, static, and filthy, we should probably be worrying a bit.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

MRSA? That's child's play, I probably have MRSA these days.

Want to read something scary, look into CRE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbapenem-resistant_enterobacteriaceae

Carbapenems are "restricted" antibiotics at most hospitals. If I want to place a patient on one, I have to get pharmacy and the Cheif of infectious disease to sign off on it. This is an attempt to reduce resistance, apparently that attempt is beginning to fail.

There's not much else out there beyond carbapenems.

What's scary about most microbes is that their entire lifecycle is often extremely brief. And they reproduce asexually.

So if you don't take your entire prescription of antibiotic, you've just basically killed off the weak ones and left the strongest, most drug resistant ones alive and reproducing, doubling in number every few minutes to hours.

Take your whole prescription folks! Even if you feel better!

And don't feed antibiotics to your chickens.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I watched the video. What they did was disgusting. There's just no reason for that kind of behavior. And it is definitely a symptom of severe sociopathy.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

When I want to scare myself, it looks like I should drop the horror novels for medical journals.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You do know the dude making the salad never cleans the cutting board and it's mixed in with the raw chicken.