Chief Justice Roberts and Hate Speech ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Chief Justice Roberts recently gave a commencement speech wishing the graduates betrayal, loneliness, bad luck, gloating by opponents, and that they are ignored.

Is this too much or is what the graduates need to hear.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Can't listen to the speech right now, but if what you said is true, it's better to tell them the truth then to further coddle them. Life isn't fair EVER.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

What’s wrong with that speech or its message?

It reminds me of the high school speech “You Aren’t Special”.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Didn't he get some flak for that speech as well?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

probably hurt some feelings with it ;)

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Truth tends to do that.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Great speech. I hope those kids really listened well.

9. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The snowflake generation with their safe space idiocy will never make it in the real world. Anyone who can't handle WORDS is doomed to failure.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you talking about the baby boomers?

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The POTUS is a glaring example of how wrong you are. Maybe it's the age of the snowflake.

Not suggesting that you are one but it amazes me how often I see people use terms like snowflake or soft to describe people but yet think they're being attacked when someone criticises them. Trump is obviously the king at this.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

One snowflake is harmless. But if there are enough of them, they can be a deadly force of nature. Canadians know this. Russians know this. Norwegians know this. My generation claim to know this...walked to school...six feet of snow...uphill, both ways...yadda yadda.;):p:D

With all the snowflakes (of every generation) popping up right and left, Eddard "Ned" Stark is right, "Winter is coming."

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Feeling triggered?

At this point, most of the yammering about safe spaces is from right-O conservatives bouncing off the walls at the idea that there are times when blurting whatever mean, dumb thing popped into your head is considered impolite.

As for Robert's speech, it's pretty good.

Transcript here.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think the speech is fine. Context is everything here, and he is hoping for these negative experiences and that the students reflect upon these to effectively become better people in life. The context is also middle school boys... at I assume a prestigious private school. It's likely many of them have not yet quite become familiar with the struggles in real, adult life.

I spent all of my education except 2 years in high school in private education. The public high school granted I was in one of the most affluent towns in the country. I can say with confidence even in high school, most students surrounded by other affluent and successful families' children don't understand the true meaning or reality of things like loss, poverty, bad luck, etc. Or that financial wealth or happiness or personal value isn't measured in luxury cars or mansions. Or that your parents success is to be claimed by you the child.

I remember some individuals concept of "poverty" in high school. In reality by most standards it would be considered upper middle class.

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Much better speech than the laughably cliche-packed speech I got at my college graduation.

Really -- all of us grads started looking at each other and wondering, "Can you believe this crap?" It was as if she collated all the commencement speeches from all the teenage coming-of-age movies.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It probably is the age of the snowflake. A natural evolution in our increasingly narcissistic journey as human beings. First we were naked and hungry. Now at least in the USA we're fat and spoiled even if we're broke. I can be "broke" and of course then I don't crave beans and rice that I have right in the cupboard. I crave some righteously good organic dark chocolate wrapped in nice foil with a colorful paper wrapper.

No bombs are falling in my stairwell this morning while I flee the Warsaw blitz as a child with my mother, making for the mountains of eastern Europe and from there to the deserts of Tajikistan, thence at long last to Paris, then Israel, then the USA, so...
    So that was not me, anyway. So I must occupy myself by carping about how my toaster never toasts but frequently burns the damn bread.

I know someone who did flee that Warsaw scene as a four year old. It surely does not prevent me from behaving as a spoiled brat when it comes to my daily life in America.

And I don't imagine myself alone there. I don't wish bombs to fall upon the USA but I wouldn't mind if a few lightbulbs went on more often to wake us from our preoccupations with self. That ambience tends to magnify molehills into Mount St.Helens-sized volcanos. I was better as a kid than I am now sometimes about maintaining perspective. But... it was adults around me enforcing that sort of focus back then. Now I'm on my own and supposedly in a position to dispense the wisdom of elders. Instead I am consumed by the misfortune of owning a disappointing bread toaster.

As adults ourselves we are sometimes too well insulated from effects of even minor but real misfortune. So a papercut becomes as if a near fatal experience. And that's before we filter out news we don't want messing with that princess-and-the-pea softness couching our brains. A ten-second perusal of even a news aggregation site's World category should be enough to dispatch my toaster concerns and instil gratitude that I have any bread to sacrifice to the blasted breadburner. But no. I remain capable of reading about other people's disasters while plotting to solve all my problems with a new toaster.

I say good on Justice Roberts even if the little munchkins he spoke to remain clueless. His speech makes me feel better about the Supreme Court, in fact. I hope the rest of the Court read a transcript...