Child Killer sentenced to death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Aug 24, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I think most people knew this was going to be the outcome for Jessica Lunsford's killer. I'm having a hard time with this one. Jessica was sexually assaulted and killed in a heinous, brutal way by a man clearly not operating on a level many would call "well below average intelligence". Everything I believe as a Christian tells me death for death is not the answer. Everything I know as a parent fills me with anger and thoughts of "justice." I can't imagine how unhinged I would become if anything like this ever happened to my little girl. What is justice in a situation like this?

Here's the story.

link

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is a local story for us here, so ive hard lots about it, i certainly think death is the right decision and i say that as a good ole southern baptist

however, if you let him sit in jail that would be worse than death, you know what the other inmates would do to him...

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think he should rot in prison myself- far worse than death.

4. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't think about that. Yes, for this sort of sexual crime against a child, prison is worse than death - it becomes hell. I notice a lot of users have looked at this thread, but not many have chimed in. I'd be really interested in knowing what some of you think on it. I'm not wanting to be judgmental against anyone, just want some help making sense of it. I value the opinions of many posters here, though I don't always show it. Skunk? Ugg, IJ? Mac? TheAnswer? anyone??

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

When I see our government taking such a soft approach to heinous crimes, I think this case shows that over in Florida they have the right idea.

Capital punishment serves its purpose, and as long as it isn't abused acts as a clear message.

I think the sentence is just, even though I suppose that seems a bit harsh to say.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

the dude is like 80 he'll die of old age before his sentence is carried out anyway

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

48 I think.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think having to rot away in prison is harsher than getting executed.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What purpose is that? What "message" does it convey? Anyone who does something like this is clearly not going to be deterred by the threat of capital punishment. It is no more than a circus of revenge which panders to base instincts and desensitises all those who participate.

10. noaccess macrumors 6502

Perfect :rolleyes:. He brutally kills that girl, and... he gets put to sleep in exchange? What is he going to be injected with? Pentobarbital? Way to be hard on him.

And this is supposed to be tit-for-tat...

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

More pointless killing, lock him up, let him sit there.

Killing this man isn't bring his victim back......if it could, then I'd be for it.

But it can't.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm always against the death penalty...especially in cases like this where it really is an easier way out.

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

its local for me too, he buried her alive....and showed no remorse....very scary....

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

So then which one of the two options is more "cruel and unusual"...

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I dont belive any of them said they were worried about being cruel to this guy, but what message does using the death penalty give? That the best answer to any problem is to knock someone off?

This is'nt much of a punishment unless you belive in eternal retrobution, a quick painless death, as compared to suffering for the rest of his life, we'll idk about you but I'd take the quick and painless.

One should also consider the fact a person MIGHT be innocent, there are people who compusively confess to crimes to get attention. Also suspects can be bribed or coersed into pleading guilty in order to avoid death. If you kill them and discover new evidence latter, can you bring them back?

Either way in the end it's not the crimminal who pays for it, the society pays for it. I know caring for criminals monetarily costs big sums, but the physcological dammage, as we'll as the dammage to our country's immage is more important then a small ammount of money IMO.

Though one cant deny seeing America's shockingly low violent crime rate killing these people off is obviously sending the right message.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not much else to add, I feel exactly the same way you put it in your first post.

17. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. also, sorry about the "obtuse" bit in the other thread.

18. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

"really interested in knowing what some of you think"
    send him to 'abu ghraib' or acknowledge that he is a sociopath and figure him out rather than exterminate him, No Child Left Behind in it's truest sense. i'll take door #2,even tho i don't trust the pharma-industry fuelled psycho-logists

19. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I could not agree more.

Advocates of the death penalty need to wonder if it would really do anything else than satisfy their own feelings of revenge.

20. Aranince macrumors 65816

The punishment should fit the crime. If he murdered some one...he should be executed. Same should go for any other crime...if someone stole merchandise...then they should have to pay for all of it. Capital punishment should scare away people from doing said crime and shows that law enforcement is serious about punishing people...but in this day and age...people probably don't think about the consequences anymore.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Nonsense.

Take away all privileges and make his life hell, but never remove his rights. There's enough blood in the world as is, without this ridiculous 'justice killing'.

And please don't tell me it's a deterrent because it won't deter anyone willing to commit such a crime in the first place. They aren't reasonable people at the time they commit the crime now, are they?

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm pretty sure the theft rate would soar under your governance.

23. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

:) Yes, why pay for anything? If you get caught you'd have to... pay.

Tit-for-tat punishments just don't work.

24. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

If as a society we are going to have the death penalty at all, this is surely a case for using it.

There really is no justice in this case.

All you can do is make sure he never hurts anyone again and try to send a message that such acts will not be tolerated in the future.

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

skunk, there is one thing about the death penalty: It seriously cuts down on recidivism.

'Rat