Childs party gate crashed by armed racists.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sim667, Jul 28, 2015.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Armed racists with confederate flags on their pickup trucks. This must be that "heritage" and "state's rights" they were talking about....

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Bet these guys are so proud of themselves, showing what big bad brave men they are by wrecking a child's birthday party.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds like these KKK guys are targeting this family!

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you read the story, it sounds like a bunch of morons looking for trouble.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Racists, just racists or... trying to cloak themselves in State's Rights hoping enough of their fellow citizens are fellow racists, crafty, gullible, sheep or just plain stupid.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They're not racists though. I'm sure they have lots of black friends. By flying confederate flags on their pickups while hurling racial slurs and death threats at a group of innocent black folks at a child's birthday party, they were just celebrating their Southern heritage. There was absolutely nothing racist about it. Just a celebration of state's rights.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can't arrest them for saying the "N" word in a derogatory manner.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Interesting.

Some notes: Why do TV news reporters like "Matt Belanger, Channel 2 Action News" still walk around wearing dark suits and white shirts? In Georgia, in July. I wouldn't mind betting Matt was the only human being wearing a wool suit and silk tie in the whole county.

Why do news organizations cling to this "two sides of the story" format, dating - I think - to the days of the long forgotten "Fairness Doctrine"?

And why did Channel 2 Action News, blur out the faces of the people driving in and riding the pickup trucks? If you are proud enough to do your fundraising caravan, then shouldn't you be proud enough to have your face on TV doing it? I don't see people at Breast Cancer Runs or Leukemia Walks hiding their faces at the finish line.

Driving around rural Georgia in pickup trucks festooned with oversized flags is called "Doing a Fundraiser." What does that even mean? Do people see the trucks driving by, and just toss cash at them?

I do like the way the leader of the pickup truck fundraisers claimed there were "black people" and "Mexicans" as part of their "Caravan." (Mexicans? Really? People came up from Toluca or Ciudad Juarez in order to drive around in beat up old trucks? Can't they do that in their own country?) He also claimed the reason they stopped was because he got a flat tire. Note to Yokels: Less spending on flags and poles. More on tires. BTW: Getting a flat tire is so rare that many people drive for literally decades without getting one. Many cars don't even have spare tires and jacks any more. But he just happened to breakdown across from an African-American family's home. Right.

Gun law update: According to the cops in this town, its quite all right to walk onto some else's property carrying semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Its just not OK to actually fire them at people. Thanks for clearing that up. I feel safer already.

I like the way the Douglasville Police Department has a freaking huge multicolored watermark on their Press Release. Obviously they've been punked in the past with people faking up official-looking documents. But the Douglasville PD does a bit of punking on their own: The columns outside their headquarters building, rather than being marble or granite - are made of fiberglass. Designed to look impressive and respectable. But underneath, fake and deceitful.

11. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Yes. just like all muslims hate americans, all christian people hate the lgbt group, all southern people that would like to honor their [fallen] loved ones are racists.

But these people in particular are racists and real a**holes. They have no right to do any of this especially to an innocent family. this is not what any honorable person that remembers their heritage wants to see. They are the extremists. For example, LGBT group doesn't want to see their radical members attacking protestors or churches. But it still happens. There are radical members in every group. And if you are not personally involved in that group, or at least do not know anything about that group, you automatically assume everyone in that group is just like the extremists (those always shown in media).

I feel for this family and wish them the best.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Not all Muslims hate America, but if they wave ISIS flags and burn American flags they probably do. Not all Christians hate gays, but if they pickets funerals with "God Hates Fags" signs, they probably do. Not all Southerners are racists, but if they fly a confederate flag, they probably are.

The confederate flag, whether you like it or not, is a symbol of slavery and racial superiority to many. There are better ways to honor your fallen loved ones without flying something as horrible and offensive as that flag. You don't see Germans flying the nazi flag over Berlin to honor their fallen nazi ancestors.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

14. c55 macrumors regular

c55

I am indifferent of the flag being used by the average citizen. It's free speech regardless of what anyone portrays it to mean. I'm glad it's off of government buildings for sure.

Slavery was a huge part of what makes America a world power. Yes it was wrong, very wrong, but in a world without slavery ever occurring, we would not be this advanced in time. Anyone that knows anything about history would tell you that. They would also tell you that the Confederate flag is a remembrance to what were awful times, but the times that built America. Why should we forget those who made this world great?

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

...or simply ignorant. I am gratified to see that the confederate battle flag is finally beginning to recede from the mainstream. It will never go away of course - it is a rallying point for reactionaries, racists, the ignorant and those who simply wish to troll others.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There are many symbols one could use to honor their fallen loved ones. If you use the Confederate Flag, you're ignorant and likely racist.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No different than the Tea Party idiots telling the government to keep their hands off of their medicaid. Ignorance knows no colors.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Absolutely wrong.

The first assertion strays into counterfactual history, which is a nice way of saying "guessing". We have no way of knowing how history would have been different without slavery. We certainly cannot say with any degree of credibility that slavery was necessary, by any metric.

The second assertion is flat out wrong. Slavery was never a required component in the "buil[ding] of Americia" - as a matter of fact while it might have provided short term economic benefits it also retarded the process of industrialization in the south - and the south stills struggles with that legacy.

There is no evidence anywhere that suggests that slavery had a "good side," or even that it was a "necessary evil".

The confederate flag is a symbol of a bad set of ideas quite rightly consigned to the trash bin of history.

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Betcha I can find some nazi Jews too. Point?

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I doubt they would tell you that. You want to honor the slaves who were forced to build this country? Build them a memorial. Don't fly a flag to honor the people who fought for the right to continue to enslave them.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you know what is far easier to find? people who listen to hardcore rap where racist singers talk about killing other's using the "N" word over & over & over & calling women "hoe's" blah blah blah, but that is ok, they are not "racist" or "bigots" because they are the right "color" that is allowed to say it. wait, they are "Artist".

hell even the females do it.
    http://www.metrolyrics.com/stupid-hoe-lyrics-nicki-minaj.html

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Good old deflection....

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

24. c55 macrumors regular

c55

You do know America was one of the most powerful trading countries in the world due to the tobacco and cotton plantations? In return we gained plenty of valuable resources and ideas that shaped how we live today.
    http://www.yale.edu/glc/aces/links.htm
    https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~arihuang/academic/abg/slavery/index.html
    http://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/links/essays.htm

there is plenty of real evidence suggesting slavery shaped the United States as well has black heritage in a mostly positive way. I'm not going to sit here all day and argue with people who base their beliefs off of public media and not real history.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Dumping lists of links to essays on slavery is lazy and tells me nothing. What am I supposed to do, read 200 pages of academia and report back to you? I think not.

Put succinctly, African-American culture established an identity in spite of slavery, not because of it. Sure, it exists at all because slaves were brought here in the first place, but that is hardly a positive contribution - given the choice, the slaves would have chosen to remain in Africa. The subsequent centuries of oppression, torture, rape, murder and general exploitation can in no way be seen in a positive light, no matter how you try to twist it.

As for the economic argument, the moment that the Confederacy tried to put it's "king cotton" theory into practice in order to achieve independence, their doom was sealed. During the Civil War, the USA massively increased its exports of manufactured goods and food, easily making up for the lost trade in cotton. Had we not had slavery in the first place it is possible that this would have happened sooner. Either way, by the mid-19th century the plantation economy was an incubus, flattering to deceive when it came to its economic value. Not to mention the incredibly dubious morality of the plantation system. The myth has been perpetuated by neo-confederates ever since.