Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
4 November 2002: Chimera 0.6 is out! The main new feature in this version is the saving of website passwords in Keychain. There are a host of other stability improvements; upgrading from 0.5 is strongly recommended.

Download

The latest Chimera stable release is 0.6, and you can download it from:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/releases/chimera-0.6.dmg.gz

Not Found
The requested URL /pub/chimera/releases/chimera-0.6.dmg.gz was not found on this server.
AIEEE!!!

Edit: Whoops, you said the NIGHTLIES... okay, I'm an idiot, but it's late, so I have an excuse

Tabs now have context menus. That means that Chimera has officially become the best browser for Mac OS X.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Weeeheeeee!

I had some stability issues with 0.5, but after I downloaded a nightly a couple of weeks ago, Chimera has now become my standard browser. One just got to love the work being done on this fab browser! :)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
aren't the nightlies more of a beta version? i know they're the most up to date versions, but are they safe to use?

just out of interest, who here uses the stable builds, and who uses the latest nightlies that you can get your hands on?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by cb911
aren't the nightlies more of a beta version? i know they're the most up to date versions, but are they safe to use?

just out of interest, who here uses the stable builds, and who uses the latest nightlies that you can get your hands on?

They are safe to use, it's not like they have viruses or anything, but sometimes they have some annoying bugs, and you have to go back to the initial release.

That's why I use ChimeraKnight... it's an app that automatically updates it to the latest nightly build, and if it has too many bugs you can revert at any time.

irmongoose

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by irmongoose

They are safe to use, it's not like they have viruses or anything, but sometimes they have some annoying bugs, and you have to go back to the initial release.

That's why I use ChimeraKnight... it's an app that automatically updates it to the latest nightly build, and if it has too many bugs you can revert at any time.

irmongoose

thanks for that irmongoose. i think i'll be using Chimera alot more now... :D

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by cb911

thanks for that irmongoose. i think i'll be using Chimera alot more now... :D

Yep... anytime. I've found it to be quite an indispensable app for using Chimera, and like you, it was the only way I could use Chimera as my default browser... I needed the bug fixes as soon as possible.

irmongoose

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Nightlies...but it's official

I use Chimeraknight just about every day to make sure I have the latest nightly. They are occasionally (e.g., once in the past month) a little buggier, but it is very easy to go back to the previous version.

Also, I had failed to post that 0.6 is now official.

Chris

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Since it's a U.S. election day, I'll be glad to listen to you guys stumping for your favorite candidate, er, I mean browser. I use Omniweb because I like the privacy features such as allowing/disallowing cookies, individually or for a site, or allowing cookies but erasing them after the session. I've had no trouble with Omniweb, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

How does Chimera handle cookies?

What other advantages does Chimera offer that might tempt me to switch?

And, be honest, now. What disadvantages are there when using Chimera compared to other browsers?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i say just use chimera and make your own decisions.

for some reason the official 0.6 feels faster than the nightly just before it. doesnt really matter i guess.

now that Chimera has matured to thins point, I will probably slow down on my nightly addiction. I have been downloading the nightlies pretty much every day, unless there was no code change.

i think now ill wait until a good bit of changelog has gone by.

one thing i have noticed...the keychain support is MUCH faster than before. i had turned it off after it had frustrated me to no end, and it seems to be much faster now.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
hmm. i've been using omniweb for a while now, and i havent had any problem with it, just that it can become rather sluggish at times, and doesnt display some pages correctly. however, after trying out chimera, i like the tabbed browsing. it does seem faster, and i think i might use it from now on. its still a tossup between the two, but its lookin better for chimera. :)

nemo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2002
Boston
I'm using Chimera 0.6 after a few months of using Omniweb almost exclusively. The biggest plus is tabbed browsing, but I'm missing Omniweb's cookie preferences and History in a big way. i might need to stick with it until these features become available in Chimera. Anyone have any info on when that might be?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I am not using IE, because I have a PC, and it is the fastest out of anything I can find. I still own a mac, I will put Chimera .6 on it. Thanks for the update :D!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I have been one of the biggest skeptics with Chimera and have given it a lot of ****... now at 0.6 I say it is the number 1 browser... it has finally made it.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by madamimadam
I have been one of the biggest skeptics with Chimera and have given it a lot of ****... now at 0.6 I say it is the number 1 browser... it has finally made it.

Hear hear! I was in the same boat for awhile. I was a diehard IE user and any other browser was crap. But as of this version... I'm switching.

And the ChimeraKnights app is pretty slick too. (Thanks to irmongoose for the heads-up on that app, BTW.)

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Stable so far

0.6 seems much more stable thatn 0.5--no crashes yet. I've even taken it to websites that crashed on me left and right before--no crashes!

Like others, I use Chimera as my primary browser, although it'd switch to Omniweb as soon as they have tabbed browsers. I've heard that it's going to happen in early 2003, so I'm looking forward to it.

Unitl then, here's to a more stable Chimera! :D

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Tabbed OmniWeb in 2003

Originally posted by macktheknife
0.6 seems much more stable thatn 0.5--no crashes yet. I've even taken it to websites that crashed on me left and right before--no crashes!

Like others, I use Chimera as my primary browser, although it'd switch to Omniweb as soon as they have tabbed browsers. I've heard that it's going to happen in early 2003, so I'm looking forward to it.
Here's what a spokesman for the Omni Group said in a Newsfactor Network article from June 6:
"We'll probably do something akin to tabbed browsing -- that was a good idea, I think from the Linux world, originally. We'll do it our way, though; I don't think they've necessarily got the best UI yet, but there's something good in the fundamental idea," Shipley noted.
So probably.

Chris

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
but does it have form autofills?

I just made the switch from IE and I was about to ask about that.

Also it seems to have the speller services implemented in the address bar why not in text entry fields such as here?

Where's the page history?

The preferences seem to be really lacking. There isn't even a pref for cache size.

I've been using Chimera for 10minutes now and the speed is really nice but if there isn't a history file I will be switching back and tossing this crap.:(

moomin

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2002
best browser

I upgraded to X in September with Jaguar

Until then I only used IE5 on 9

I only have a dial up connection, but no ***** when I changed to Chimera on my eMac page loading felt like I had DSL

If this we'll all be very happy

tracker_oz

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
I am blown away. Finally a browser on the Mac that rivals the speed on PCs. The sped increases (both in launch times and rendering) from 0.4 , and even 0.5, to 0.6 are amazing. If this sucker works on my bank account I will be officially switching!

Great work!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
0.6 is working great for me, now they have all the features in a 'stable' build from the nightlys over the past months, I, like sparkleytone, will probably stop getting the nightlys so often, because this build rocks! Long live Chimrea!
Can't wait to see how it looks when we get to Chimera 1.0.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit

I just made the switch from IE and I was about to ask about that.

Also it seems to have the speller services implemented in the address bar why not in text entry fields such as here?

Where's the page history?

The preferences seem to be really lacking. There isn't even a pref for cache size.

I've been using Chimera for 10minutes now and the speed is really nice but if there isn't a history file I will be switching back and tossing this crap.:(

I could not care less if I have to deal without Autofill or a variable cache setting. However, I would like history but I do find that I do not use history in a folder very often, I mainly use the history when typing a URL and that is in Chimera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.