Chimpanzees granted 'legal persons' status to defend their rights in court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ch...rights-in-court/ar-AAbs7Y2?ocid=ansguardian11

interesting arguments, but based mostly on emotion. wonder how PETA feels about this, most of them are extremist in some of their views.

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hmm it looks like the political parties might have to start pandering to the primate crowd now. Now that they are persons under the law they can get the vote! End primate suffrage now!!1!!11!!!

In all seriousness, bestowing "legal personhood" sounds like legal short hand for encapsulating the complicated matter of the ethical treatment of animals. It sound like more of an issue on how we treat animals rather than determining how they would like to be treated by us.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sounds like a step in the right direction. Right now they pander to the reptiles.

4. chown33, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

chown33 macrumors 604

And autonomous collectives of single-celled organisms.*

* Colloquial hurtful term: pond-scum.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Is this for real?!? Okay, can we try to keep this under wraps. If my cats find out that animals have rights and can legally sue their owners then I'm in some big trouble. :eek: They are already entitled enough and have a general disdain for my house rules. Is prepaid pet legal available yet. I might need to be proactive about this one. :D

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Careful now.. keep in mind that if your cats pop you one with their claws, you could have them thrown in jail on domestic violence charges. ;)

But I tend to think about it this way.. Since this is New York, and it is legal there, it really must be upsetting that same-sex pairings in chimps have the legal right to marry, whereas humans in the Bible Belt don't.

BL.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only the cuddly and cute animals have rights. The ugly and taste are still chattel.

[​IMG]

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Stony Brook should detain the lawyers and lobotomize them. If they hadn't already been, given thier choice of plaintiff.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hmm... do you think the Chimps are paying their legal fees with Bananas? ;)

Dennis Leary used to do a similar bit in his stand up act.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You do realize that people don't have cats, cats let us humans live with them.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The only reason the Internet exists is to share funny cat videos.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol. If this is indeed a real story, not your cats ;), I'm very surprised, because there are some issues because knowing right from wrong is questionable and murder in chimp society is acceptable and not that unusual. This must be a limited personhood right. Otherwise set them up in an apartment and get them fast food jobs, no problem. :D

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As can chimps and humans, or at least that is the logical next step for the courts if the state tries to stop it.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

True.. that is what those against SS marriage and the religious right will go to.

"see, it's happening! now a gay man and a chimp can get married! I told you so!!!"

never minding the fact that human rights were granted to the chimps; they would go straight to the marriage issue.

BL.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?

Well, that and having levelheaded discussions involving politics and partaking in polite exchanges of ideals.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

2 points

1) I'm all for saving primates. Seriously. They truly are independent beings who are very sophiscated and have minds of their own.

2) Who the **** are we going to test all these new drugs on? Seriously. Somebody's gotta take the hit...

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well maybe PETA and the GOP can get together and test them on people in prisons. :rolleyes:

Note: I have no problem with testing things on animals, but I would have a problem testing them on prisoners.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is truly a ridiculous ruling. It is based on research performed by people who want to protect apes (laudable), but who know fully well that we won't protect them unless research paints a picture of apes as human-like. Well, they're not, and the edifice of the noble human-like ape is crumbling under less biased research. By using the nonsensical argument that 'apes are people too', the court has just devalued the inherent worth of every animal in the eyes of the law, and it has left apes vulnerable to the inevitable counter-arguments that they're actually not like people. Now, had the court said an ape is not a human, but it is still worthy of protection...

One more thing: this ruling will be used in the abortion debate to redefine what a 'human' is.