CHINA LIED About Gymnast, He Kexin's Age??? [UPDATE 2: IOC Now Investigating]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Aug 15, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The Olympics’ age-old problem

[​IMG]
    LINK

IMO, She looks waaaaaaay younger than 16 years old. The IOC should be forced to investigate.

ADDED STORY:

The REAL Olympic medal count
    [​IMG]
    Story Link

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There are a lot of things about gymnastics that needs to be investigated. Ages, judging. There just seems to be to many mistakes that have taken place the last few olympics. Lets say they overturn the ruling. Would they then give the gold to the USA?

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

No. It was determined (after the fact) that in the 2004 individual men's competition that the South Korean who won the silver should have won gold because of a scoring error. They didn't retroactively give him the gold medal.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Although they might have broken the age limit, they surely kicked butt in their performance. :eek:

So if we say the government broke a rule, the girls surely deserved the win because of their performance.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I really don't see this as being a big deal. Substituting a "fake" singer because she was cuter than the "real" singer is wrong, but I personally don't mind the gymnasts. They shouldn't suffer the punishment over the wrongdoings of their (crazy) government. They earned those medals, and the performance of a gymnast peaks at older than 14, so if these girls beat other gymnasts, some of which were in their prime, then so be it.

It's not right that China lied about the age of these girls, as other countries may have been in a similar situation regarding the age of their gymnasts, and yet followed the rules. However, I hope the gymnasts aren't punished. They earned those medals, and there's no denying that they're the best.

Also, I wouldn't judge a Chinese girl's age by her appearance. There are LOTs of Chinese girls (and boys) that could pass for much, much younger. Even I pass for 20-22, and I'm 28. The funny thing is that I'm not a particularly young looking person when compared to other Chinese people. My mum and brother will always look much younger, while my father and I look a bit more mature than normal. Doesn't matter though, because people still guess that I'm younger.....

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Dude, a very good Chinese friend of mine and colleague at a former company looked like he was in his maybe early 30's. Then he told us that "ever since I turned 40 a few years back ...." :eek:

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Who cares? I don't see how this would give her any kind of advantage in competition.

I think it makes it all the more impressive.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's like the Canadian snowboarder who won the gold medal 6 years ago (I think?), but later lost it because drug tests showed that he had smoked weed. Um......weed would hinder performance, not enhance it! Give him TWO golds for that. He's unbelievable! ;)

9. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Actually, people involved in gymnastics almost universally agree that younger gymnasts have the advantage, in part due to their relative fearlessness and the fact that they are generally less overwhelmed by the responsibility of performing on the world stage with the expecatations of their country on them.

That said, DUH! Of course China lied. I find it appalling, but not at all surprising.

But it's not the athletes' fault. They did an absolutely phenomenal job, and deserve all the praise in the world.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

No, I bet nearly every country has, at one point in time, lied about their own athletes.

12. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Don't understand why this is a problem. We have Tom Daley at the Olympics and he is only 14.

Why?

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Forged passports maybe. minimum age is 14 for another.

14. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

They should be stripped of their medals because they did not follow the rules of that event, plain and simple. There are no other qualifications that need to be given.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's a problem for several reasons, though only one is needed: it's against the rules of the FIG, which is the international ruling body for gymnastics. Diving is completely different. Different sports have different rules, but also different demands.

Also, just like in figure skating, there's a concern about the stress of continual high-level competition on bodies that are still developing (in more ways than one). The feats that they have to achieve to compete at the very top are not normal (okay, it's the Olympics, what's normal?), but are also damaging, and without a minimum age, programs push younger and younger bodies into doing them because it's a constant battle between small, light, and straight, but also vulnerable (prepubescent) and stronger but heavier and less streamlined (pubescent and post).

Anyway, it's a discussion that's been going on for years, and if you look at and/or talk to gymnasts and former gymnasts in their 20s and beyond, their bodies are broken and aged well beyond their years. Doing that to someone before they can choose it for themselves is deemed by some to be unethical.

It's not only the Americans, and if you're implying that it's because the US came in second to China in the team event, I'd point you to many many news stories on this issue before the Olympics even started. :rolleyes: I love the sport and have been following this controversy for a long time now. And I'll say it once again, Chinese athletes absolutely deserve nothing but praise. This isn't about that.

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Strange that it's only the Americans who a moaning about this. Wonder why???

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

They should just do what we do here. Find the cute girl, have a recording engineer make it sound good and then have the cute girl lip sync.

If anything they're just guilty of being lazy. There have to be more than a few cute girls in China who can sing well, they just didn't want to take the time to find one.

There seems to be some consensus that the younger girls do have some advantages that would give them an advantage that the extra years of training would not. I think the easiest solution would be to not give China credit for the gold medals, re-issue gold/silver and bronze medals to the bumped teams and let the gymnasts keep their own personal gold medals. The lying was done at a higher level and the girls themselves should not be held accountable, but China should not be receiving credit for those medals in the totals.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed they do. Their size and weight give them an advantage over others who are even only six or seven years older. The age restrictions are not arbitrary; they are necessary to preserve fairness and the health of athletes.
    I think this is the right thing to do as well. The little girl didn't want to lie to the world, and I'm sure she didn't have much choice in the matter. Let her keep her personal medal, but make sure that it doesn't count for China. We shouldn't be rewarding blatant cheating.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They also say that younger bodies are more flexible.

20. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

+1 She looks 10. Never-mind 16. I'm 16, i don't know anyone that looks even remotely close to that young

21. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

It's not right because it's not fair. The younger gymnasts have advantages that make it unfair for them to compete against older gymnasts. This is why other sports have age groups...

With that said, any organization that would forge passports would do more dangerous things to their athletes to give them an advantage. Perhaps forging a passport is the safest crime for the actual athlete.

One sportswriter made a good point - if she is really 16 years old and 68 pounds then she is sick and should be hospitalized.

On another note - exactly why is a North Korean Pistol competitor doping???
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC0ygdDUYcmI9SEZkTKV_7D_eKg

22. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I agree with the first part, and as to the second, it was a med that prevents tremors. Very useful when you're shooting. ;)

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ban the lot of em i say, I'm from the UK and we need all the help we can get :eek:

24. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I like to watch women's gymnastics, I really do. BUT this sport has PROBLEMS. And the problem is not that the Chinese are using athletes under age 16.

The problem is there is something WRONG with ANY sport where children have an advantage over adults in their physical prime. The fact that experience and physical strength are apparently meaningless and that being tiny is the end all and be all tells me there is something wrong with women's gymnastics in general.

Swimming for example doesn't have to ban kids. There is a 14 year old American competing. Why? Because adults in their physical prime, that is, late teens to mid-20s, with prime physical strength, are the ones to excel at the sport. And I submit that in virtually every sport OTHER than women's gymnastics (INCLUDING men's gymnastics) that is true.

I think its time to look at why having a 12 year old on your team in gymnastics is such an advantage that its considered cheating and why a 20 year old female gymnast is largely "washed up." Maybe it means changing the sport, but in my view, athletes should excel during their physical prime, not when they are children.

25. gibbz macrumors 68030

This is really simple, put all other politics out of the equation. If rules were broken, medals should be stripped. Rules are there for a reason, and if not enforced are pointless in the first place. I would have the same opinion regardless of which country was the offender, even the U.S. Is it the girls fault? No. But those responsible to the girls would be at fault and the results should be nullified, again, if rules are proven to have been broken.