China looking to permanently ban sale of dog and cat meat.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Following the temporary ban during the 2008 Olympic Games, Chinese officials are now looking to permanently ban sale and consumption of dog and cat meat. According to one professor, "A ban on eating them would show China has reached a new level of civilization."

LINK

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While technically speaking eating dog or cat is no different than any other animal, I wouldn't want to eat it. Good move on China's part in my opinion.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wanted to point this out for those that don't know:
    China and Korea raise certain dogs for eating.

Sure sometimes Fido ends up as the main dish, but that's not the norm.

Having said that, it's probably a good move for China.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This could describe the torment (and be just scratching the surface) of any number of factory farmed animals.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    There really only are a couple of regions in China that eat dog meat, it's pretty much looked down on by the majority. There are still some gou rou guan (small dog meat diners) around most parts of mainland China, but it's far from popular.

Very good move by China to outright ban the practise.

I saw some other news about China this week, something to do with equal rights, forget what the statement was about, but it was reassuring. Nice to see that China has it's priorities straight, strengthen the economy so people have basic needs, such as food, then move forward toward human and even animal rights.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

It is exactly the same, which is why I don't eat any animals.

7. doumbek macrumors member

8. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it."

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Gandhi.

9. heyisti macrumors 6502

heyisti

china is not the only place that eat dog cat.

ever heard of Mexico?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't like this move.

I absolutely love dogs and cats, but it's a part of their culture to eat dogs and cats. Indians don't eat beef, but it's not like they put pressure on anyone else to stop eating beef.

A lot of this decision-making is due to external pressures from hypocrites. I hope they continue farming dogs for food, and I don't see it being any different from raising pigs for food, or sheep, or any number of animals.

I personally don't think people (in general) should be eating so much meat, but if you're going to eat meat, let the Chinese eat the meat they're comfortable eating.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

It's not really about external pressure. China rarely gives in to external demands on rights.

Chinese people themselves really hate it. I read an article by the Guardian trying to champion the Chinese middle class as pushing this forward, but that's nonsense - to the Guardian everything that is good is because of the middle class. It is what it is, a widespread dislike of dog met in China among all classes. It's provincial mostly, but not isolated, which is why you get upsets in all regions about it.

The Chinese love their dogs, especially the toy poodle. Same happened in North America, dog used to be a delicacy is parts, but it had to give in to the times - people started domesticating animals more popularly so dog meat became distasteful. Culture isn't something that's stagnant. You can't freeze China in time.

12. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I'm afraid that just cannot be. If you truly have love it would overpower the "hope" for continued cruelty.

America is the greatest proponent of cultural aggression and on this occasion the advancement of something other than traditional Chinese thinking, whatever it's source, is welcome.

13. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

For a nation that gave us Monsieur Bonaparte, France has gone a long way into irrelevancy.

There's a huge difference between pet abuse (which should only be punished because of the potential link to antisocial behavior) and raising animals as food. If one wishes to test the morality of eating other animals, I suggest they offer themselves to a starving tiger.

14. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I could probably Google this but I'm sure posters here already know the answer: is the consumption of dog and cat meat explicitly banned in the United States, Europe and elsewhere? I know the article itself says cat meat is eaten in South America, and a poster above said it's eaten in Mexico as well. I was just wondering what kind of laws govern its consumption...

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

I think it's legal in the UK oddly enough. I looked it up and found you could probably kill a dog to euthanise it, and then eat the meat of it and it would be legal. Killing a dog for any other reason would be illegal.

16. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I do not understand your remark about France. If by you mean internationally that France is irrelevant then yes you're right and that's a good thing. France's imperialist years are mostly behind her whist America continues to abuse, bully and war monger with zeal. The day that France is thought of in the same way as say Sweden cannot come too quickly for me. However if you mean something else .. please drop it. I can't abide another Frog / Yank spat.

As for testing the morality ... this is patently absurd. Cannibalism, incest and "murder" are all permissible then? Animals can be our sages but to see them collectively is redundant. As is to excuse our dark natures by telling tales of a fox in a hen house.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well they did for the Olympics. They put the ban there because they wanted no complaints from international visitors at that time.

Secondly, if it's really hated in China, then they wouldn't need a law, just like they don't really need a law in places like the UK, since people generally don't want to eat it.

Thirdly, people still eat dog in China, even in big cities. My best friend lives in Guangzhou, and he has eaten dog there. When I was there last year to visit him, I had a chance to eat it, but did not. I don't mind that Chinese people eat it, but I certainly didn't want to participate.

Fourthly, dogs raised for eating are not thought of in the same way as dogs 'owned' as pets. Even dog farm owners may still keep a dog as a pet.

18. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

There are very good utilitarianism reasons for not being involved with cannibalism, incest, and murder. (In fact, tigers and most predators commit none of the above.) Likewise, there are good reasons for protecting PETS from depraved behavior. However, there is no reason to protect farm animals from being raised exclusively for slaughter. We're their evolutionary superior (for the moment anyway) and there's no reason not to milk that to our advantage.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There are plenty of good reasons to not farm animals. Rearing animals is far more resource intensive in most cases than crops (i.e. water and feed). Requires more processing. Requires more refridgeration and has a shorter shelf-life in many cases. Nor is meat a requirement in anyone's diet. There's also the problem of disease in eating mammals (see BSE). And that's not even getting to the ethics of the suffering factory farmed animals are put through.

For starters "evolutionarily superior" is a highly subjective term. And as per the above there are many reasons not to exploit animals. Eating meat does not give us an "advantage" whatsoever.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

China met very few demands around the time of the Olympics, especially those concerning spectators. Which would prove nothing anyway, this isn't about the Olympics. China took dog meat off restaraunt menus because China itself recognised how unpleasant the practice was and is in agreement with the international community about it. As evidenced by them now seeking legislation on it. It wasn't even demanded by the international community. They did make other demands, but Those weren't met.

It's really hated in China, but it needs a law because it's still an existing practise in a couple of provinces, and, as I mentioned earlier, there are existing gou rou guan around most provinces. There are billions of people in China, with 56 different ethnic groups. So as hated as it is, they still need to outlaw it, or will continue to an extent. The UK have laws to stop it. You can't lawfully kill a dog in the UK, however there is a loophole, but that loophole isn't intentional, so people can eat dog meat.

Thirdly, yes as I said many posts ago, eating dog in provincial - provinces have cities in them. So I don't know what your point is, unless you don't know what a province is.

Where are dogs raised for breeding thought of differently than those as pets? In the West? No. In China? No. There are dogs bred for food in some provinces, but that doesn't make it acceptable for the Chinese who are against the practice. My girlfriend had her dog killed on the street, they hung it from a tree then ate it later. That was in the 80's in the North of China, people there thought it was acceptable to eat dog, they didn't distinguish between pets and bred dogs.

I really don't see your point either. What exactly are you getting at? Are you saying that it's ok to eat dog? Are you saying that the Chinese in general want to eat dog? Because neither could be farther from the truth.

21. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

There is .. it's called conscience.

22. kunal123 macrumors member

I don't get it, how is eating dog meat different from eating pig meat?

Oh yes, one we keep as pets and one we don't. Stop being so hypocritical.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

How about you chop up a family pet now and eat it. Until then, you're the hypocrit.

24. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Been vegetarian then vegan for over 30 years.

More generally though; advancement is incremental. Removing an animal species from the realm of acceptable food animals is progressive. However it becomes possible it can only be a good thing. The ire aimed at those who make a supposedly contradictory moral stance puzzles me. An effort is made in one field but because that person is not immaculate in all regards they're a hypocrite. Nonsense.

25. djellison macrumors 68020

Damn. The opportunity for me to enjoy a panda and lemur* kebab served on narwhal horn is ever decreasing.

Being serious for a moment - I don't really see the problem here. Some people keep chickens as pets. Some people eat dogs. Some people ride horses. Some people eat them.

Just because something is outside our own localised cultural normality (i.e. we don't eat Dogs in the UK) that doesn't make it inherently wrong, and doesn't give us a right to dictate or project our own culturally acceptable norms on another country.

There are some religious people who consider Cows to be exceptionally sacred creatures. If they told me to not eat the lovely steak I have lined up for tonight, I'd be a bit pissed. Similarly, there's probably some dude in China looking forward to a nice Cat-kebab and beans tonight. Just because I happen to keep a cat as a pet, doesn't mean I should dictate to him that he can't enjoy his dinner.

My only caveat is that animals raised for food should be raised in good conditions ( the vast majority, sadly, are not ) and killed as humanely as possible ( again, many are not )

I don't see what this issue has to do with vegetarianism in general however.

(for those without a sense of humor - I AM JOKING - eating endangered species is just idiotic.)