China reportedly holding thousands of Muslims in internment camps

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Trade inequalities are not what we should be sanctioning China for. Running internement camps for Muslims is what we should be imposing sanctions for. This is disgusting on many levels and something that should be addressed by the international community. China, like their little buddy NoKo, has been running these re-education camps for decades and the world has just watched it with no care. Here's a reason for the Middle East to cut off the oil flow to China.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05...ing-thousands-of-muslims-in-internment-camps/

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Who are “we”? America? If America doing nothing when China running virtual internment camp on Tibet for decades, why should they did something about Sinjiang now? Let Muslim countries handle it. Seems like this job suit Turkey more. They want to be the new champion of Muslim cause so let them take this.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Big shock, a Communist military dictatorship is purging religious people that refuse to conform to the God of State.

4. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

There's no reason that Tibet shouldn't be addressed, too.

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

In before Trump gets blamed for this and I’ll add, why did Obama kick the can down the road? ;)

6. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

China is legalising the internment caps and starting programs that will essentially stamp out the culture of the people of Xinjiang and replace it with their Mandarin culture. No-one's going to speak up on this, though.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/181010144442645.html

7. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

It’s not like Chinese just brought them over on ship like slaves. Muslims could have chosen other country/s. And what did they expect from a Communist country? Does no one read history books in Middle East??

Yes it’s terrible, but you need to read the broshure before moving half way across the globe.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I believe we had a thread on this a while back.

Sure, all of that is true but I don’t think it’s fair to assume Muslims who came to China prior to this nonsense would expect to be sent to internment camps. As far as I know, Christians and Jews aren not being interned. I presume for a lot of these people China is home and they may not have the resources to simply pack up and go to another country.

I also imagine some of these people didn’t exactly have a choice in moving to China. Much like the DACA situation, there are probably children whose parents immigrated to China and are now adults.

To intern these people and attempt to “re-educate” them is disgusting and inhumane. I do agree with the OP an international effort should be made to address this matter.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

This region was a part of the Mongul Empire for hundreds of years. Much of the conversion and Uyghur immigration would have occurred then. It was later a vassal state under the Qing dynasty and many Han moved in and got kicked out in a few major uprisings and resettled by Han under the PRC. But the muslim population remains. While there has been some immigration. It wouldn't have been much, because immigration into China was quite difficult.

Anyways, when most came over. It was soldiers, merchants, scholars and others under a very powerful Khanate. Not when it was under communist control.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Do you know for how long Islam existed in China? A very very long time. They are not recent immigrants over the last 20-50 years who just started moving to China calling it their holly land.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Islam_in_China

11. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

They still imprison, harass and persecute Christians and Buddhists and other religious groups who don't adhere to the rules. Religious groups must be registered and practice "normal religious activities". I'd presume the Uygher stand out since they were already heavily concentrated geographically. They are easier to re-educate en masse rather than having to route people out all over the country. Buddhism, Taoism, Catholicism, Protestantism and Islam are the only officially recognized religions. Practitioners are expected to adhere to rules regulating their religions. As long as they don't stand out. They'll mostly fly under the radar with minimal harassment.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Speaking of China :) I just got here. Just hope you don’t need to visit the bathroom while visiting a factory.

In America they remind you to wash your hands where in China they remind you to save water.

1CE3DFAC-C8B1-454A-9D8A-C95D27F0B560.jpeg 1EE0BEB8-DEAD-443F-89FA-ACA13D28E58C.jpeg FC4BB384-E497-44A0-8027-27B09A1982BE.jpeg A3713ECD-EACC-4A60-AADA-8BFA718357FC.jpeg

13. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

That’s the same in the floor toilet I had to use in middle school, but there were 3 of them side by side with out a wall for privacy.
    Similar toilets can be found across the country at bus stops.
    Thank you Mother Russia.

But having a conversation with my male classmates, why the foreskin doesn’t roll all the way back as we peed side by side, had nothing to do with size of our wieners.

Oh the joy of not being brainwashed by media and male enhancement supplements.

Good times.

14. RootBeerMan, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018

RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The Uighur's were there first, long before the communists conquered the region.

15. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

That’s even worse!
    You can’t just walk around being ignorent of rules and laws of a country you were born in. Let alone not know the language, history or culture.

Some of you are too complacent, being born in a country with free speech and free to practice any religion. Try growing up in a Communist country or a country with strict and extreme laws, where you have no legal rights. Then you’ll view the world differently.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 ---
    Christians and Jews don’t promise you 57 Virgins and a place in heaven if you blow people up.

16. stylinexpat, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018

stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Now you are being ignorant of facts in China. I know China quite well now. In China there are many local languages spoken. Many of the locals do not speak Chinese (Mandarin). There are many that do and many that do not. This has nothing to do with Muslims and Islam in China. Many of those Chinese Muslims in Fact do speak Mandarin and do know Chinese history and culture. The fact that they are Muslims does not make them not Chinese.

You really need to know your history before making false claims here. No where in the Quran does it say to just go out and blow up people for a place in heaven with 57 Virgins.

17. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I’m going by what the article states.

And this program is trying to prevent people being blown up for virgins. Read the article.

18. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

You believe everything you read..? There is something called propaganda and something called facts.

19. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

You and I don’t have all the facts and don’t have facts about propaganda.
    An article was posted, and I’m trying, to discuss the article and the information in the article.
    If you want to discuss propaganda or conspiracy theory about same subject, start a new thread and I’ll join you and I will bring... burritos.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

This is the link that was posted by the thread starter.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05...ing-thousands-of-muslims-in-internment-camps/

I read it and there was nothing in it about suicide bombers being rewarded virgins in heaven. If you want to discuss suicide bombers being rewarded virgins in heaven you will need to start a new thread about it and I will bring sushi.

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Oh, sure, isolate China.
    But where will we get cheap stuff from then??
    /s

Despite what you think, tribalism is stronger than religion.
    There are plenty of persecuted Muslims in the world, you do not see other Muslims helping each other out, do you?

There was a time Christians also attacked each other.

Easy. Obama, before him Bush, then Clinton, Bush before him, I think even as far back as Reagan, the massive profits made on super cheap (and super crappy) stuff from China was gold for big business (*cough* Wal-mart *cough*)

Given the events of 9.11 and the Great Recession, neither Bush nor Obama had the political support/ability to interrupt that supply of golden eggs.
    Although a far from elegant method (and possibly seriously upsetting the market), #45 is doing this via his tariffs (for record, a more selective tariff target phased in over time in addition to other tactics I would approve, not the wrecking ball plan #45 has)

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Unfortunately it all looks pretty bad these days. Quite sad.

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

...and it is going to get worse (and mainly not from #45's antics).

24. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

:rolleyes:

Keep your sushi and don’t ever talk to me again.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Xinjiang has been part of China for 500 years. Muslims have been part of China for 1000+ years.

I don’t think the current Chinese government is handling Xinjiang very well.