China tells bar owners to not serve blacks/Closes homosexual bars

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GfPQqmcRKUvP, Jul 18, 2008.

1. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Chinese authorities have, reportedly, gone around Beijing telling bar owners not to serve black and Mongolians. They've shut down a homosexual bar until further noticed and have said that any entertainer that whips up ethnic hatred (Such as Bjorg saying Tibet, Tibet) will be banned from entering the country.

Now that's free speech and civil rights, is it not?

NOTE: If anyone has any commentary on this, or, more specifically, can lend any legitimacy to the article, that would be good. As of now, the article I read this on cites no sources

http://www.theage.com.au/world/fears-of-a-nofun-olympics-in-beijing-20080718-3hkb.html

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You would think China would encourage homosexuality, given how crowded the country is.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Considering the line of crimes the Chinese government has committed over the years, this is minor. I'll be interested to see what they do with gay athletes turning up though (yes, they do exist. We're not all musicians, poets and hairdressers :D).

Oh and BTW, down with racism in all its forms. Boo!!

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unavoidable exposure to the realities of the wider world is one of the reasons I believe the Beijing Olympics will be nothing but a Good Thing, both for China and for those China has dealings with.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You forgot interior designers. :p

But do you think that exposure to China's human rights record will actually cause anything in the "People's Government" to change, or will it just push China to sweep it's dirty under the rug even more?

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

First, I'd have to say that The Age, along with everything else FairFax (Age, Herald Sun, SMH) are fairly credible. In fact, they have some news up on their sites hours (sometimes days) before it even reaches the fastest US outlets. I skim through the Age's website every day (especially for the footy!).

Now, as far as China not serving Blacks... How do you think the US Men's Track'n'Field team is going to take this, let alone the Williams sisters? Basketball team? Marathon runners from Africa?

China's gonna get a whoopin', and it ain't gonna be pretty...

BL.

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

It is quite sad that these issues of racism and bigotry still exist. Will it ever stop? Sometimes I think these people are worse than murderers.

I love black people, mongolians, men who like penis, and women who like vagina.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Six foot seven black athletes still can't stand up to the People's Machine Guns, but I do entirely understand what you're saying. If this report is credible, and China does indeed go through with it, I'm very curious as to what will happen, if anything.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't go to Iran. You might be killed.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Nonsense, that phenomenon doesn't exist there.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While I agree with what you're saying about standing up to machine guns, I am reminded of a 19 year old college student standing up to a tank in the very same city at roughly this time 19 years ago... Thank you, System of a Down.

You'd think that with Tibet, the Dalai Lama, and Falun Gong, China is already in a world of hurt. If this is true, they're asking for it now on a global scale.

BL.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because they kill them all.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think BA was exercising "irony".

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I know. I was ironing right back. :)

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's another thing you lot are very good at. :)

16. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Damn the Olympics giving China this summers Olympics, it was a scary thought from the beginning. This will be a dreadful turn of events.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Scary, but potentially liberating.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Must be copying the US.

Of all the things you could have picked on China for, you decide this little (dubiously sourced) nugget.

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP thread starter macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What?! Some of us might be against gay marriage and people might sometimes be racist (like the UK I might add ;)), but our government does not go around neighborhoods telling people not to serve blacks and close down gay establishments. Anyone who equates the civil rights granted in the U.S. and China needs to have their head examined.

You think the freedoms and tolerance granted under Chinese law is equal to that of what is granted by the Constitution?

I believe I said I did not know the article's credibility, and then someone posted back that the paper is, generally, fairly credible. What would you rather had be most?

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Firstly, I didn't say they did. Secondly, I'm not convinced that the Chinese did. Thirdly, the US Government wouldn't do anything petty like that. They don't do things by halves.

No, I don't. I love the constitution. However, if you really want to make a difference then why not complain less about China and start with the curbing of civil liberty in your own country.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I presume you meant "have had me post"...

You were correct that the story needs linx.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're pretty much not going to find links to it, especially since The Age is Melbourne, Australia's biggest newspaper, plus the reporter for the article is actually in Beijing. I'm also pretty sure that this story is in Print for tomorrow morning's (saturday's) edition. So the article has already been put to bed.

BL.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The Age is actually a fairly decent newspaper and, if I lived in Australia, I'd probably buy it.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG] x 10.

Well Lee, get your ass over there, and do that thing that you do so well. [​IMG]

:D

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

now that is effed up (part i bolded).

i love women who like penis

as far as the man who stood up to the tank, have you seen the pbs documentary? i ask since the people that studied that event do not know what happened to him and say that he was probably killed by the government