China to end one child policy.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Oct 29, 2015.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

BEIJING — China’s Communist Party brought to an end the decades-old “one child” policy on Thursday, when leaders announced that all married couples would be allowed to have two children in a bid to reverse the rapid aging of the labor force.

The announcement came after the party’s Central Committee concluded a four-day meeting in a heavily guarded hotel in western Beijing where the committee approved proposals for China’s next five-year development plan, which starts next year.

“Improve the demographic development strategy,” said the official communiqué, or summary, of the meeting issued through the Xinhua news agency. “Comprehensively implement a policy that couples can have two children, actively taking steps to counter the aging of the population.”

The decision to replace the one-child policy with a “two child” one was among the few substantial changes announced by the party meeting. A fuller summary of the five-year development plan is likely to be released in several days, and the full document will be issued only next year.

NYT

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I for one welcome this move, China today can easily manage the extra population.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Crazy to think that so many people in China don't have any siblings. I rarely meet people who have no siblings.

5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

lets hope india implement it soon.
    Climate change is due to the number of people sucking on the rock..

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

er, are we not over populated as it is?

7. APlotdevice, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well you need an an average of just over two children in order to have neutral population growth. Fixing it like this means that the population will still decline since not everyone is going to have even one child, let alone two, in their lifetime.

And they have a legitimate concern. Few children means that your average population age gradually gets older. You ultimately end up with a larger elderly population that can't work and needs to be taken care of. This is actually a problem faced by almost all industrial nations today. (The US is an exception only because of immigration.)

8. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope this slows China's gender crisis. Something like 32 million more men than women.

9. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sounds like a sausage fest.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm going to quibble with this phrasing. I'm under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that having one child was incentivized as opposed to something that was forced. So the government isn't allowing married couples to have two children, if anything, they're removing the incentives that made it more attractive to only have one.

11. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think you could have a second child if the first was a girl. More strict in urban areas than in rural areas.

How would someone enforce such a thing like the one child policy...

BEIJING — Pan Chunyan was grabbed from her grocery store when she was almost eight months pregnant with her third child. Men working for a local official locked her up with two other women, and four days later brought her to a hospital and forced her to put her thumbprint on a document saying she had agreed to an abortion. A nurse injected her with a drug.

“After I got the shot, all the thugs disappeared,” Ms. Pan, 31, said in a telephone interview from her home in the southeastern province of Fujian. “My family was with me again. I cried and hoped the baby would survive.”

But after hours of labor, the baby was born dead on April 8, “black and blue all over,” Ms. Pan said.

Recent reports of women being coerced into late-term abortions by local officials have thrust China’s population control policy into the spotlight and ignited an outcry among policy advisers and scholars who are seeking to push central officials to fundamentally change or repeal a law that penalizes families for having more than one child. Pressure to alter the policy is building on other fronts as well, as economists say that China’s aging population and dwindling pool of young, cheap labor will be a significant factor in slowing the nation’s economic growth rate.

NYT

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I checked out a couple of articles and apparently fines were common as well as forced abortions ... which is obviously not a cool way to enforce that policy.

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i have no sibilings

14. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Sounds kinda lonely. I have a sister. She's 7 years older than I am. Because of the age difference we never really got to hang out a lot, but we're still pretty close. The thought of being the only one left in my immediate family after my parents are gone sounds scary to me, but luckily I'll have her to grieve with when that time comes. And hopefully it won't come for a few more decades.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it is lonely

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

When I have kids (however the hell I end up pulling that off, haven't quite figured that one out yet) I think I want 3.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Me neither.

China's one child policy hasn't extended to everyone in China though I don't think. I remember from a visit there there were exceptions to the rule, families who work on agriculture land was one example I believe.