China to execute Briton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by red42, Dec 27, 2009.

1. red42 macrumors regular

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You ignore the fact that he appears to be mentally ill.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hopefully they will just deport him back to Britain.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That was no reason to ban him, Chinas reach is far.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It's the sort of behaviour one expects from uncivilised countries with the death penalty such as China, the Congo, the USA etc etc.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He wasn't banned for this thread. Otherwise the OP would have been deleted ;).

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone have a good summary of any Chinese equivalent laws that mitigate or undo responsibility in the face of insanity or psychiatric disease (NGRI, Atkins, etc, in the US)?

9. No1451 macrumors 6502

Hardly matters, execution on a drug charge? There are so many things wrong with that that I cannot even begin to explain

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The Chinese Military wont be happy until they're as bad as North Korea... oh and that they're watching you do it.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, there are a number of SE Asian countries that treat drug trafficking as a capital crime -- Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore all do.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And the Thais and Lao (at least) are also pretty strict on drugs offences if you don't pay the bribe.

EDIT: According to Wiki here's a list of countries that have the death penalty for drugs offences:

• Afghanistan
    • Bangladesh
    • Brunei
    • People's Republic of China
    • Republic of China (Taiwan) - though they may be confused.
    • Egypt
    • India (no execution carried out for such offences)
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Kuwait
    • Laos
    • Malaysia
    • Oman
    • Pakistan
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Thailand
    • United States (Although Federal Law provides the death penalty for certain drug offences, no one is on death row for such offences)
    • Vietnam
    • Zimbabwe

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Akmal Shaikh has been executed

Harsh, inflexible…

Of course they were…

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a more extensive list than I realized, although some of the countries clearly enforce it more than others (I know, in India's case, the law calls essentially for a crime in any category to be exceptional in nature before the death penalty can be imposed, but what this means has been an evolving target; this came up with the issue of whether it was likely that the Mumbai terror trial would involve a death penalty claim).

Does anyone know anything about the Chinese equivalent of "Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity" (in the US, a variety of different standards have been applied over time; the US prohibits the execution also of the mentally retarded, but in this case, they appear to be claiming that this person was manic at the time the crime was committed). That being said, I'm a little skeptical about the mania claim. If this were the US, it might fly, but I'm not sure I'd call it likely.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course, if the Chinese were right in saying that there were absolutely no records of this man having any mental problems before his arrest, then it must be said that according to their lights they are acting correctly. It does seem odd that, given the extensive reporting by all and sundry of his past history of debilitating bipolarity, he was apparently never once referred by family, friends, police or social services for help, treatment or even evaluation.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also, what they describe isn't really consistent with Bipolar Disorder... individuals who are bipolar can have manic episodes, during which their reality testing is off, and they make incredibly bad decisions. But mania is like setting your house on fire -- it can burn, but it cannot burn forever. Mania can explain why someone would decide to move to China in 2007 to become a pop star, perhaps, but not why they stayed there for a year or so before committing this crime (as it seems).

Anyway, I still grieve for the family's loss. And I still would like to see all countries, including my own, ban or substantially limit (at most, maybe for war crimes, treason, mass killings / terrorism) capital punishment. China in particular really lacks transparent standards, to the point where the world doesn't believe its estimate of how many people it kills annually is even vaguely true.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Of course, let's cut China some slack…
    :rolleyes:

We all know what the "official" MacRumors response would have been if this tragedy had played out in, lets say, Texas for example…

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If he wasn't mentally ill then the Chinese have every right to execute him for this crime. 4kg is enough that it'd be pretty hard just to sneak it into his luggage without his knowledge.

As he was crossing a border you have to follow the rules for the countries concerned.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Whether in China or Texas it's equally wrong.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So you're OK with capital punishment?
    Of course it is… I am just surprised by the double standards…

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would rather they abolish the death penalty, but their legal system allows for it for this crime.

You can't say that because he was a foreigner that he's exempt from the rules that they apply to their citizens - especially for a crime that is a crime in virtually all countries.

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*sigh*
    Did I say anywhere in my posts that he should not have been punished?
    And don't put words into my mouth… of course he should be subject to the laws of the country — foreigner or not.
    But:
    I rage against the disproportionate punishment.

Throw his ass in jail and keep him there for a period of time.
    No legal system anywhere should sanction murder by the state.
    Of course, YMMV…

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am absolutely against capital punishment. I am absolutely against the arbitrary and politically-driven application of Chinese justice, or any justice. I am also against China being singled out for vilification by British politicians and media who would never dream of saying anything comparable about the same thing happening in Texas. Now please explain your accusation of double standards.