China to flock to Android?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bufffilm, Nov 14, 2016.

1. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

So China is posting that if a trade war ensues from the Trump presidency, Apple will lose big time.

Now losing customers is never a good thing, not to mention that Android is a very creditable platform for phones worldwide (which millions can attest to), but are the Chinese really prepared to embrace Android whole-heartedly?

In a light hearted tone, I say "Go for it".

Ha, ha, ha, ha... :p

2. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Won't make a difference from current situation.

[​IMG]

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I was going to post something similar. It won't effect China much, but would literally kill Apple (and huge swaths of American tech money) if China refuses to make or sell iPhones in China. The stock market would likely crash the very next day and tens of billions in US currency would evaporate.
    China has the US by the balls.

4. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

If that happens, Apple would have to find more customers fast. And I do mean fast. But their products aren't that likeable anymore. So they would have to innovate in order to get customers. But by innovate, I mean really innovate, not this practice of 'can't innovate my a**'.

So Apple returning to innovation if China bans them? I say: go for it China. Bring us our old apple back, even if Tim Cook doesn't like it ;)

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Thankfully the "old Apple" is gone and the company had moved on; secondly the US will be the loser in general and thirdly does your derrière really need innovating.

6. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

Android already sells more phones in China....Apple is trying to do whatever it can to get China to buy more iphones.
    Problem is the old Apple is still around.....trickle down features at top tier pricing. Chinese phone makers are killing them with great products and great pricing with more features. Look at Huawei...they are #3 in the world right now and climbing fast!
    I don't see a iphone ban...it's just posturing.....

7. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I know even Xiaomi sells more phones then Apple in China. Probably in India as well. But even with low percentage we are talking about milions of phones sold in China. Even Apple would take a major hit if they lose that market. And I do agree, probably not gonna happen. But one can hope, right? :)

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

This is the problem. We've given them too much slack for far too long. Free trade is great. But what happened to fair trade?

9. bufffilm thread starter Suspended

bufffilm

Apple has a smaller share than I expected...but as others have said, it still add up.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

11. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

12. I7guy macrumors G5

One can hope for what, wishful thinking on an anonymous Internet forum that Apple would go down in flames? Given the business Apple gives Samsung, they would go down as well.:rolleyes:

13. jamezr, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

jamezr Suspended

jamezr

Yeah...Huawei and Xiaomi sell more phones than anyone in China...
    Apple would love to sell more iphones in China but that's not happening when the local companies can offer better pricing and feature sets.
    Then just think if the new US president follows up on his tarif talk. Apple is an American company that manufactures outside of the US. If they then add a tariff to the iphone when they bring it back to the US to be sold....it will add more to the iphone price in the US.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-presidency-iphone-price-2016-11

14. Radon87000 macrumors 603

No they wont.Apple isnt the only company using Samsung displays

15. I7guy macrumors G5

Sure they will, according to informal sources here on MR Samsung gets quite a bit of business from Apple. This with the acquisitions and note 7 fiasco, the last thing they need is the loss of apples business.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    You would think Apple and Samsung both would suffer as well as practically every other company.

16. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

Nope...it's been reported here and elsewhere that Apple was moving away from Samsung for parts. Using Sharp for screens and TSMC for chips exclusively for the iphone 7.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We don't have that and haven't for at least four decades.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Ah so Samsung is already losing the revenue of producing chips for Apple.

19. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

well...considering the sales of the iPhone 7...maybe not so much. Predictions have been downgraded. Sales might not match YoY.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

We'll have to wait and see what the fiscal quarter brings.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

So you are just quoting what are guesses. Obviously only apple knows the exact number of units and revenue and profit and we will hear about them at the next quarterly call. I'm not saying they aren't in the neighborhood, but a guess is still a guess.

22. Radon87000 macrumors 603

And they have made quite a business supplying parts to all manufacturers right from bargain bin phones right till the cutting edge.Samsung don't need Apple with their 12% market share of devices

US is going to benefit now that Trump is charge.Time for Apple and Samsung to kiss the Chinese Factories goodbye .

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Right, they don't need apple, they need profits, given their write-offs in the mobile sector. But it's always good to see Samsung compared to apple given they have a very similar business model and very similar businesses across the board.:rolleyes:

24. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Apple products are philosophically incongruent with Chinese culture and societal norms.