China wants Chinese workers as part of free trade agreement.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by orestes1984, Nov 19, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can't believe that you don't want to let China bring their own labor for the jobs. [/sarcastic font]

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

A word to the wise China never does anything without a hidden meaning.;)

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to your brief article ...

For one it seems like a very small number of jobs, and two, what are these skills not found in Australia?

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

One of the serious criticisms leveled at Chinese investment in Africa, for instance, is that they hire very few local workers to complete construction or engineering projects.

This has serious ramifications. Not only do the local workers and economies lose out on the wages; but they also fail to develop the necessary skills and experience to perform future projects.

So: No, I think Australia is well within its rights in placing restrictions on the number and type of Chinese workers it allows to work there. Australia certainly has more than enough qualified artisans, laborers, and technicians to complete pretty much any project you care to think of.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand in Africa the Chinese have built lots of infrastructure that wasn't otherwise there. So it's a double edged sword for sure.

I agree about Australia though.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

China has thousands of workers all aver Afghanistan. In fact, a few years ago China signed an enormous deal with Iraq to rebuild their oil infrastructure. Basically, Americans are fighting and dying so China can make billions rebuilding the rubble.

All thanks to George W. Bush.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At least somebody is rebuilding the rubble we left behind.

9. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

The CLAIM is that they can't find any skilled workers for the job, while there are plenty. This is how the 457 scheme has always worked. The ISSUE is that these companies do not want to pay legitimate wages that will cover the cost of workers and if possible that they don't want to hire any local workers at all.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or another way to look at it is to funnel these dollars back into the Chinese economy in order to boost their working class.

I don't see anything wrong with what they are attempting.

Both sides need to advocate for their preferred outcomes and set the limits they require for cooperative ventures.

Work it out.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Welcome to the world of FREE trade.:p

12. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

Australia already has one of the lowest taxes on its resources out of any continent outside of Africa, the price should already be low enough to encourage foreign companies to invest in local workers. 457 visas are just a form of exploitation on both ends between the corporation and the Australian government.

I don't want to get into the politics of 457 visas, it's already an undisputed fact and that argument is a long and messy one that is deserving of its own thread. You're more than welcome to start your own thread on that issue, this isn't the place for that discussion.

13. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Thanks Dubya!
    Dont be mean and pick on Dubya, always remember it's Obama's fault... Our hands are clean.

14. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I learned a long time ago the claim that they can not find skilled workers is 99 times out 100 a lie. Even more so in a country like Australia. Real reason is they do not want to pay the going rate for said skills in those countries.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

As the PRC would say, what Australia does inside its own borders is 'an internal matter that is not the legitimate concern of foreign governments'.

I hope the government of the PRC soon learns that this kind of viewpoint works both ways.