Chinese Authorities Force Sterilise Citizens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rhett7660, Apr 26, 2010.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...lanning-Targets/Article/201004415613125?f=rss

Don't know if it is true.. but wow.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

If this is practised in "a widespread or systematic way" it's a crime against humanity.More information on how many are being sterilised against their will is needed although available information seems to point to coercion at the very least is being used. It's also worth pointing out that in the relatively recent past countries such as Switzerland,Sweden,Germany,India,Japan,Iceland,Canada and the United States have all practised forced sterilisation.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well shucks. As we've been informed, laws are made by those with the power to enforce them. Would you rather they just let anyone into their country who wanted to be born there?

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is typical. China takes a heavy handed approach to just about everything and expects 100% compliance. I'd like to see the same story reported elsewhere to verify the details. To my knowledge China provides strong incentives to have fewer children but has never forced sterilization on the general population. It's pretty horrible to be forcibly sterilized--ugh.

Anyway, with current technology and resources a particular region of the world can only comfortably support a certain number of people. At least the Chinese are one of the few countries to acknowlege that its not going to work long term if everyone has 5 children each.

If we want future generations to not have to kill each other to get have a decent job, access to food and water, etc than population control is one important component of planning.

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I agree with barkomatic. With over 1 billion people population they need to be able to control their numbers otherwise they risk having major problems with supply of resources to support that population. It's rather unfortunate that they force-sterilize regular people though. I would have started with criminals.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'd like to have proof of that. It might be true, but I am a little sceptical.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Difference is I think that China is making no excuses for their sterilization program. When we did it here in the 1920's it wasn't for overall population control but to weed out undesireable hereditary traits. "Feeble mindedness" was the biggest excuse our country used to prevent people from breeding if someone was deemed stupid they were interviewed and scheduled for sterilization based upon what passed for genetic research at the time.

Doesn't make it right of course but less bull **** ing at least.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It's very true. It's been less than a century since it was done in the U.S.

Linky Linky

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The thing is, they've already got problems. China's one-child policy had the unintended consequence of creating a growing imbalance in the sex ratio (something like 120 boys for every 100 girls IIRC). In the next 10-20 years there's going to be a lot of frustrated Chinese men...

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Your gathered data is quite accurate--it's soooo nice to see somebody link to something besides Wikipedia for a change.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I cannot even imagine the problems that's going to create. Sort of like the excess # of women after WWI and WWII. The US, Japan and other OECD countries' population issues pale in comparison to China's enormous one child bulge.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What normally happens when a hundred million or so hormone-charged 20-something men can't get laid?

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

what is wrong with that ?
    is a choice.
    I know a number of drug addicts/recovering who would jump on a opportunity like this, many do NOT want kids.
    and YES children of addicts can have serious problems.

as for the China issue.
    I am torn between much needed procedure and individual rights

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If a junkie claims that their choice is already taken way by the drug they are addicted to (or so the doctrine of AA and NA claims) then isn't it the drug deciding for them to take what is seen only as an an option otherwise?

Sorry I don't buy the poor mindless druggie role, the druggie was the one who makes the choice and it is just shifting the blame to an inanimate substance to excuse ones own actions and regretting their own decisions to blame something inanimate for their own regrets later.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

What is wrong with it? Well specifically in the U.K. you are offering a cash inducement to people at a very difficult period of their lives where the temptation is to take much needed cash for a life changing operation. Help is available specifically for drug users with short and long term and indeed permanent contraception. The people offering cash for sterilisation provide no help at all other than a frankly fascist idea that they are not capable of being successful parents.Children of non drug users can have serious problems as well,would you condone offering cash inducements to the mentally ill,those who may pass on genetic disorders,heavy drinkers,the poor,et al? I know many ex users who are great parents and indeed becoming parents was the making of them.Would you deny them that opportunity by dangling a cash inducement at the very time they are unable to make such decisions with any clarity?

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Pretty rare this stuff comes up these days - I think the only country I know of that currently has any sterilization programme is Norway or maybe Sweden (for criminals).

I'd like a lot more official information about China's sterilization move for this province, it may well come with an incentive and far from being forced as is reported. Sky and BBC have a nasty habit of running dodgy info on Asia (Indian soldiers in Tibet = Chinese abuse anyone?)

When your country has a fragile infrastructure and 3 billion people, stability has to be the no. 1 priority. I don't deny human rights abuses occur in any country in the world, but need to put these things in context.

19. gibbz macrumors 68030

The "choice" argument you make is valid when first choosing to use a substance. Once the body is chemically addicted to the substance, free-will and logic are corrupted.

As to the OP, I am not sure how I feel about this. Clearly population is a concern, but so are basic human rights.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

They turn gay? :D

China will probably have a nasty social revolution on its hands.

I'm fine with the voluntary aspect of the program but agree that it does pose some potential problems. I do know that drug addicts generally make incredibly poor parents though.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's what I was going to say :p, and yeah there'll be challenges to their family orientated culture.

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That excuse doesn't work in the court room. The alcoholic gets convicted for the DUI and not the bottle of booze as the accomplice--there is no way they can plea insanity like AA tells them they are, or blame the booze. The Drug addict gets convicted for any criminal act committed while on a substance, but the needle or the crack pipe is not thrown in jail with them as the accomplice.

The user still has the choice of what actions to take. Those substances at most only amplify a persons already horrible decision making abilities and processes, they do not provide the initial logic or willingness to make a bad decision. That still falls on the user.