Chinese government app in the App Store gives complete access

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
The Chinese Communist Party appears to have “superuser” access to all the data on more than 100 million cellphones, including iPhone, owing to a back door in a propaganda app that the government has been promoting aggressively this year [and is in the iOS app store]
More:

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, but so far Apple is allowing an app that gives complete access to the iPhone in the App Store. The article also says the Android app works similarly, so it isn't just Apple.

[and this is both App Store and political, so wasn't sure which area would be better]

Last edited:
Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
When you need to take such measures to enforce your ideology, perhaps it isn't the best?

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
or... digital surveillance..

China is already in this head-wind, since they reckon its 'ok' to have cameras spy on them if they do good job of catching up the bad guys. "totally forgetting about the larger serious concern"

But that's what countries do... only center on he 'goodness' they provide. Now,no technology is "safe to use"

thank goodness its only this app.. At least users have the "option" not use it.. When its an app which mines everyting o a phone, i think its 'ok' as long as the "option" to install the app is there..

Its probably burning flames at both ends. which no developer should do, but the concern may be less problematic if your givin' the option to use it.

As for those who "must" use it.. well..,. sorry, but your used as decoys...

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I think this is more App Store policy related than political. Is Apple now allowing apps that get root access in the app stores? What is the policy allowing this?

astrorider

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2008
From the article:
Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify that the Cure53 researchers audited only the version of the app available through Android operating systems and did not investigate the version of the app available on Apple’s iOS.