Chinese Mfrs declare victory in war on American Children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jan 11, 2010.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Having lost on the lead front, it appears that the creative and cunning Chinese mfrs (and their communist corporate counterparts in America) have conspired to seize victory from the pernicious youth of America by adding cadmium to cheap jewelry and selling it cheaply.

Victory favors the bold! Onward fellow manufacturers!

Seriously, WTF to China and WTF to America. China - are you really letting mfrs use cadmium in material that is being distributed to humans? Those things are ending up in the US, not Taiwan and Tibet. America - are you really letting corporations get away with allowing this? They must be testing this crap before they bring it over from there. And how do you pass a law that imposes crazy testing requirements on small resellers, but fails to comprehensively ban dangerous substances from items targetted towards children (rather than just toys)?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Links? Articles? Etc?

Some of us don't know what cadmium is and why it would be harmful. Also, it is hard to debate and discuss and issue without a source to read from.

EDIT:
    Also, please allow me to insert my new fav internet pic
    [​IMG]

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah, yeah. I even had the link on my clipboard. :D Post is updated.

Linky

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, that's only slightly disturbing, isn't it? :(

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks -- it sounds like it's a legal loophole. If Cadmium should not be in these kinds of products, it should not be allowed in these products... I don't think "good faith" is the way to deal with this kind of problem, because the stakes are too high.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

At least they are sharing. They've been poisoning their own youth for years.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK, that looks pretty bad and cadmium looks really dangerous :(.

To be honest if the Chinese have been using it domestically* for years the US should have banned its use in jewellery. I'm surprised this is legal.

* = developing countries don't have the same standards for consumer protection - price is much more of an issue for them.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do you people really buy jewelry for small children who would put it in their mouths? Not saying it makes any better, just seems kind of strange.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure it happens but the above is why the Chinese haven't (yet) banned this domestically.

12. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

You won't buy small items, but a lot of things get licked intentionally or unintentionally. For example, mine has a bracelet that sometimes she'll carry the edge of in her mouth. She also likes to nibble at her necklaces when she gets nervous.

And that's not even considering that she has earrings that stay in her ears.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Compared to the Chinese today, the good ol USA used to be industrious at killing our kids--they are not trying hard enough. We had lawn darts (a major impaling hazard), micro machines (choking hazard), slip and slides (easily you could crack a rib on that monstrosity), toy zap guns that threw sparks and could set your parents house on fire, chemistry sets (you could make a decent batch of crystal meth or explosives with,"here timmy drink this and see what it does!"), the only dangerous import was Lego at the time.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Thinking back to when I was a kid, it was pretty messed up that they let me have a chemistry set with all kinds of different chemicals, I must have been around 8 at the time. I have to admit it was awesome at the time using them though. :p

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Someone will be along in a minute to say the government should keep out of it as they are only depriving the citizen of choice and that private enterprise is the best way to deal with it.:)

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I say let the parent deal with it rather than vote away everyone else's choices on what to buy.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Those creme-filled chocolate eggs are pretty deadly.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As shown in the salt thread, that guy happens to be on almost everyone's ignore list, or they just don't respond to him on subjects like this.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hey now, watch out, my step-mom makes those (sort of)! :p

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

This is sad that it will take the US goverment having to crack down and starting banning the imports from China to make the Chinese goverment do anything about it. I would also start holding companies marketing the items accountable for it things like this as well.

Then at least some pressure domestically will start happening because they will stop importing the products.

either way this is just yet another example why my future kids will not be wearing cheap crap jewelry of any type. More so just justifies me more in it. I already was going to not allow it because my mother, my sister and I all have metal allergies to nickel. A common metal used in cheap crap. This means I have to wear higher quiality stuff for anything metal I have to wear.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If your serious, could we at least agree on mandatory warning labels and a public campaign to point out the threat these substances pose?

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have the same allergy, it sucks.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How is it the Chinese government's responsibility what Chinese companies export to the US as long as its legal?

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For example a US company could never make cheap ass jeweral using dangerous heavy metals or lead in them and then export them. They would be shut down for it.

China does not have those protection on them. They are allowed to export those things and sell them with no problem. Plus the factory getting pressure from there own local government would really cause it to take shape

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In this case, I think you can stop there. ;)