Chinese students strongly encouraged to build iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CASLondon, Sep 9, 2012.

1. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

$240 dollars a month, and they have to buy food and accommodation with that to.

3. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

As long as the iPhone was designed in America, I'm ok with child labor being used to build it overseas. :rolleyes: Yay Apple.

4. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

This is dumb, you know that don't you ?

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Even if this is meant as a joke, its a tasteless one. shame, shame.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Yeah, it may have been over the line a bit, but I have a real problem with all the praise heaped on Apple when they can't even be bothered to build (or at least assemble) the phone in the US. Shame, shame on them.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

College students are hardly children. Child labor sucks but this argument is so old. Most of the clothes, gadgets, toys, etc that "we" enjoy are made this way.

The child labor "cause" frenzy in the US is a little out of touch.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

$240/month is fairly good pay in china and you can easily live of that. Foxconn normally provide accommodation and meals too. Foxconn is very much a livein factory where people go and work for a few months to save up some yen and send it of to their family.

----------

There would be a bigger uproar in America and other western countries if prices skyrocketed because they stopped using child labour. This is a very unpopular statement but it is the truth. The same goes for fossil fuels still being the best way to make electricity.

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

$240 wages per month sounds pretty good when your rent is only $17 per month.

10. cynics macrumors G3

This is disgusting. Is this sarcasm or what?

I'd highly suggest you look up the cost of living in china. 240 isn't enough for a crappy apartment on the out skirts.....

Its one thing trying to justify a product that has the cheapest of labor yet still has a 40-50% profit margin its something else justifying the people that build said products quality of life....

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Commonly referred to as the yuan in China :D

12. VulchR, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Just what quality control for the new iPhone needs - annoyed Chinese workers who do not want to work at the factory. I know what I'd do if I were forced into the same situation. Anyone care to take bets on how many dud iPhones there will be in this new model?.

Besides, I thought Foxconn had invested in robots.

13. iFanboy Guest

Why should it be built in the US specifically? Apple is an international company with international customers.

The reason it's built in China is because it costs them much much much less per unit.

An iPhone built at an American factory would carry a much higher price. Consumers would not be happy with that.

As a society our need for cheaper products >>>> the rights of the people being exploited to build them.

If you disagree and feel the opposite prove it wrong by not buying the new iPhone or any Apple products.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Won't be any more or less reliable then the 4S. An underpaid Chinese laborer is a underpaid Chinese laborer....

15. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Sure but how would you like it if you were in the college, and GM came and told you no classes for 3 months and you must come to our factory and help us build the new car?

This is so wrong. Hope Apple asks shadyconn what are they doing.

16. Jst0rm macrumors regular

I hate seeing stuff like this. It goes against my gut and I look around me and see all of this apple stuff. I feel ashamed really.

In textiles I buy almost 100% made in the usa. My boots are also made in the usa from chicago leather. I really wish I had options for american made in electronics.

17. cynics macrumors G3

I'd pay a bit more for the USA version of a product. A lot of people are scared to buy American due to quality, the problem is actually American products have to be cheaper since labor is more expensive.

18. nitemare macrumors regular

yes China underpays their workers but thats what you get when there are lines of people just waiting to take their place.

if you think there isnt child labor going on in the US open your eyes. when was the last time u went to fast food or a restaurant, or even and amusement park? i know that here in VA theres a law called the "Busch Gardens" Law keeping schools from going to a "year round" cycle and arent allowed to start until after labor day because over half the work force are high school kids, esp in high tourist areas.

19. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Japans currency is Yen and you are a complete moron.

20. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Apple is quite aware of the abuses and human rights violations going on at Foxconn but for the sake of the all mightily dollar they turn a blind eye.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

There are other options for electronics. For example, the majority of Nokia N9s are built in Scandinavia, and some Dell's are made outside of China.

If you really want to stop this, then everyone has to vote with their wallets. Not enough people care however, and even if they do, having the latest thing > caring about child labour.

22. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Apple is an AMERICAN company actually. It may sell its products worldwide, but it is an American company, based in the U.S.

Calling Apple an international company would suggest almost all car companies are international, as would most technology companies. Google, MS, IBM, HP etc.

All this is true. The reason why people want Apple to design and build the iPhone in the U.S. is they want the U.S. to return to the manufacturing nation it was in the 20th century. Arguably the country was at its peak financially, and people (naively) believe that if the U.S. stops outsourcing jobs they'll return to the top.

23. rak007 macrumors 6502a

This is sick.

24. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

You obviously understand nothing about their living conditions.... I'd gladly take $240 a month if I only had to pay $15 for rent...

25. james92se macrumors 6502a

Clearly you lack the sarcasm-recognition gene