chip/nick in new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msett, Sep 21, 2012.

1. msett macrumors member

Hey Guys!

Super excited that my new iPhone 5 was just delivered about 15 minutes ago. It looks and feels amazing, except however while doing my typical inspection when I get a new product I found a small chip in the back bottom left corner of it. It's a black/slate btw.

I am guessing Apple would swap it out but how would I go about it with nobody having supply now. Also I don't want to send it and be waiting without one. So I am hoping I can keep using it in the mean time. Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You have 30 days to return/repurchase it.

3. Jay26 macrumors member

Just my two cents...

I would call Apple and let them know about the issue. This will document the issue with the phone on the date of delivery rather than walking into the store a week later and claiming damage to the phone.

Good Luck!

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Most Apple stores will probably have some stock available for phones that arrived with defects.

I would say the sooner the better. If you wait too long it's going to become difficult to convince Apple that the phone showed up that way.

5. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Mine came damaged as well, nicked on top and sides,going back to apple store this afternoon.If not in stock will use and swap sim card when they get more in stock. Bad quality control, Otherwise the black model looks great.

6. ginwrak macrumors member

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I have the same issue, except it has almost convinced me to switch to white. I plan to visit my local apple store first thing in the morning to see if they have stock. Hell, they might still have stock left today. I swung by at lunch to look at the white phone and they were still selling, with a not-too-long line. The iphone 4 line was nuts in 2012. I'm thinking that Apple may have gotten it right this time (inventory, I mean)

8. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I would wait a couple of weeks until the launch hype dies down. Alternatively, if you call the Apple 800 number the way they do replacements is to mail you the replacement and then you mail back the old one. I believe they *may* put a hold on your credit card just to verify that if you never return the old one that you can afford to pay, but that drops off as soon as you return the other one. I did this with the ip4 and had a great experience dealing with it over the phone. No crowds, the phone rep was very courteous, dealt with it at my leisure, the replacement came quick, etc.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Agree 100%

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can return it for another, get AC+ and use the phone.

11. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Mine were both bad also. The black one was not as bad so I am going to keep it but my white one was BAD!! It had a huge gash in the outer rim that was horrible and very very noticeable. My wife took one look and said hell no!! So we went to the Verizon store and they replaced it and in the mean time the jackass screwed up my data plan and went from unlimited to 2gb so now I am trying to fight that. Not a good day so far!!

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

PHOTOS PLEASE so others can compare their 5's with your's to see if it is a widespread issue.

13. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Me too!

Very interesting. Mine also has some wear showing little specs of silver (aluminum) in the lower LEFT hand corner. I'm not wearing any rings and it's been sitting on a soft table cloth as the phone restores from an iPhone update. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

14. ProfoundTactics macrumors member

This

15. Hammer97e macrumors member

Mine as well. Not noticeable if its sitting on a desk or even holding it in front of you, but mine has three small nicks on the bezel at various places when you get up close to it. Not sure if it really bothers me. I will try and get some pics up.

16. ProfoundTactics macrumors member

I've just noticed a really small chip, and as above, it's not noticeable unless you look up close. It's been in a case from arrival, and I've been handling it like a nuclear bomb, so there's no way I've done it myself.

Just wondering whether it's worth getting in touch with Apple. I'm thinking I should, I mean, when you spend £600 on something, it should be perfect.

I'd like to see other people's chips/nicks first though...

17. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

This is definitely an issue.

My black has a small nick along the angled bezel by the + and - buttons, and 2 minor dents in the aluminium back towards the top. There's also a clump of glue on the top right hand side on the back.

Doesn't feel as well made as my 4S was. I'm debating returning it for the white as my friends who have it haven't got issues. The ones with black however have noticed marking.

18. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Mine has a very small "scratch" on the bottom, back corner. it's hardly visible but still there. And I'll be using my phone naked so a case won't hide it.

I don't mind it much, but I'd rather do the scratching myself. On hold with Apple store right now.

[​IMG]

19. crushedcore macrumors newbie

out of the box with this
    apple.com order
    ATT 64gb

Attached Files:

20. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

21. Dandalph macrumors newbie

Oddly enough, mine has a small scratch similar to the ones posted here along the left hand side.

I purchased the black 64GB iPhone but did NOT get AppleCare+.

I plan on buying Applecare+ within the next 30 days, and here's my thought on the subject:

Just use the phone. I assume that this issue will be a problem for the life of the phone as there is silver aluminum UNDER the black aluminum.

Use the phone, have Applecare+, and 8 months, a year, a year and a half from now, take it in and swap it.

It sucks that it's an issue that SEEMS widespread right now, but in the end there's not much we can do about it and I really don't want to mess with the jungle that is the Apple stores right now. I'd rather just wait it out and swap it 6 months from now instead of swap it for another right now and have it happen again a month from now.

Just my thoughts...

22. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Pics as Proof

Photo taken with my wife's iPhone 5 64gb black/slate. My phone (the same) is pictured. It was hard to get the camera to focus on the point where the scratch is, but I did my best. Photo is cropped to focus on the scratch along the shiny edge.

Attached Files:

23. Flash69 macrumors member

Mine too! White iPhone 5 64 GB (ATT). Ordered from apple.com. It's a small nick in the side on the back. I don't have any pictures at this time.

I am worried that this aluminum is going to be too easy to mess up. Thoughts?

24. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Damn, what's going on at Apple that they are coming out of the box damaged? Johnny Ive et al claim it's a work of art but they come scratched and dinged? That's rediculous.

25. rylee27 macrumors member

My husband's black phone has the scuff on the side and my white one has a scratch on the chrome. I think we're just going to blow it off, but it is disappointing!