chipped 60W MagaSafe Power Adapter. Is this covered by the 90 day warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by housepaul04, Apr 8, 2010.

1. housepaul04 macrumors newbie

I i have a chipped power adapter :apple: and i'm not sure if it would be covered by my warranty. I'm not sure how it was chipped or for how long its been chipped but it could have been up to a week or more. The only way i can see that it was chipped is if my sister let the bunny out and it bit the wire. :mad:

Photoshere
    orhere

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it was caused by you or the bunny or something that isn't because of the failure of the device, it's not.

My little sis has a bunny as well so I know, they like to eat wires. Our's have eaten an Acer power cord and speakers power cord so far :p

3. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

Wait are you serious, you have a bunny? haha thats funny.

4. housepaul04 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like it's just the EMI shielding that's been torn through, so most likely yes. However I would recommend replacing it, but it would probably not be covered under warranty (this you would have to take it up to the store manager).

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I said my little sister has one but yeah, it lives in the same house! 3 floors upstairs though :p

You may think that I'm a scary guy because of my name and avatar, but I'm just a regular geek who likes metal and yes, I do normal things. No, I don't brush my teeth with pig's rib and lamb's blood, if you wanted to know that :D

7. housepaul04 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I had a pair of earbuds that it looked like i had ripped the wire on (i didn't, but it sure as hell looked like i did) and they replaced it no questions asked at the apple store. just took a packet off the wall and handed it to me.

9. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Wrap the "chipped" area with several layers of white electrical tape and it should be fine.

10. housepaul04 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would take it to the apple store but the closet one is about a 2 hour flight away from where I live. And I'm going to try to clean the area, (to be sure the shell was the only part chewed into and no wires will touch,) tape it then shrink rap it.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Use electrical tape; shrink wrap can melt and burn.

12. housepaul04 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay thanks for the heads up. I can post photos of how the fix works out when i'm down if anyone would like to see how it turns out.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Alright good luck; always looking forward to seeing results. :)