Choosing a color-accurate monitor for my MBPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuran, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kuran Guest

I have a late 2009 Macbook Pro 15", which has a mini-displayport adapter.

For pre-press purposes, I am in the market to buy a monitor that will give me the highest color-accuracy. Right now I am eyeing the NEC PA241W LCD Monitor, mostly for its price and positive reviews.

This monitor has the following connections: 10-bit DisplayPort, DVI-D with HDCP and USB hub

How would I best connect this to my MBPro? As I understand it, nobody manufactures a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter.

And is this a good screen to buy? Any recommendations would be welcome.. also which calibrator hardware should I choose, the Spyder3 Elite?

I am thinking of just trying to sell my MBPro and getting a Mac Pro, I wonder if the speed increase in Photoshop would be worth it. I work with large files and CS5 on my current configuration isn't exactly the fastest.

I have a 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB DDR3 memory.

Here is some information about the NEC Display: http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=5a6621b9-e9c4-4f02-8542-e6251364bf7c

Thanks for any advice!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If it uses Displayport, you should be able to use this cable to connect it to your MacBook Pro.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

the screen is probably fine, considering that it's $1000... Spyder3 will work, but if you can afford something like Lacie Blue Eye or Colormunki, you should get that.

I would definitely get an MP over a laptop...more cores for starters, but upgradeability is the biggest thing. If you don't need mobility, why spend $2-3000 on a laptop every couple years if you can spend the same on a tower and keep it for at least twice as long (with minor upgrades along the way)?

4. kuran thread starter Guest

Thanks for the help.

Would using a secondary 24" screen on my MBPro slow it down considerably? As I said previously I already have speed issues using Photoshop CS5, so that would be most unwelcome.

It would be great if there was an option to disable the Macbook Pro's native screen, so the video card could focus exclusively on the external monitor.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It doesn't slow down my MacBook Pro at all when I use a 24" external display. And I use it for Photoshop as well.