Choosing the right email adress to fit both Mail and iphone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vectorccm, Dec 12, 2009.

1. vectorccm macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a new to Mac world and have many questions in my head that need to be answered.

First of all, since I'm also new to this forum, please feel free to tell me if I'm not asking my question in the right section or feel free to transfer it as well if you have the right too.

My question according to the title is pretty simple, I am currently using Hotmail but I really like the Mail App in my mac. The thing is that it won't communicate back with hotmail, I mean, I can receive messages but if I delete one in Mail, it will still be in the Hotmail web page.

Will I have the same trouble with Gmail?

I currently have a Ipod touch and plans to buy a Iphone in the future month?

Since changing Email adress could be complicated since I have many contacts I want to keep, I want to do the right choice.

which one is the best?

hotmail, gmail, yahoo? Advantages?

Thank you in advance for all of your answers

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've got 3 email addresses that sync between my Mac and my iPhone and of all 3, Gmail is definitely the best (the other 2 are my university and work emails [both Exchange servers]). Gmail works great via both IMAP and POP, but I'd definitely recommend IMAP if you'll be working on both devices. :) I don't know what else to say, but I've never had any problems with it, and it works as expected.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree that Gmail works fine. IMAP is great.

As for the other two, I haven't set my accounts (Yahoo and Hotmail) on Mail or my iPhone. I just access them via WebMail as they are infrequently used. So I don't know.

4. dbwie macrumors 6502

Gmail with IMAP, and MobileMe with IMAP, both work well on computer + iPhone.

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

GMX.com much better then Gmail as I have both:) on mac and iphone

6. vectorccm thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all you answers

If i delete a email with the iphone(setup with a gmail adress), will it delete it else where also like in the webmail box and in the Mail app. Same for Mail app, if I delete a email in Mail and update the Iphone, will the email be gone from the Iphone mailbox? Because that is what I want

Thanks

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, if you set up Gmail using IMAP, then any deletions will be deleted from all places.

8. vectorccm thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently transfering my contacts into my adress book and everything worked just fine for me.

Thanks for your help

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I prefer mobile me tbh. Have tried many others and still prefer mobile me for the extras it offers.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yeah--that is me too--gmail on my iMac (and hopefully soon iPhone) and my two isp mail accounts--anything else if good enough for web mail.