Choppy playing of YouTube videos with Mavericks / Chrome

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mrtravel123, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I'm running into increased problems when playing YouTube videos in Chrome... and it seems more pronounced since upgrading to Mavericks.

For example, I use Google Chrome for my web use. If I'm watching a YouTube video (in one window) and surfing the web (in another window), any "heavy" web usage or surfing causes my YouTube video to struggle.

In my mind... the computer is fighting memory resources and the YouTube video is losing. In short, it is no longer playing smoothly. Sound & video are choppy.

My solution? I opt to watch YouTube videos in Safari WHILE using Chrome to surf the net. So, maybe this is a Chrome issue... primarily... but more pronounced with Mavericks.

Does anyone else deal with similar issues? Has upgrading to Mavericks made it worse? Got another solution?

Thanks.

2. jk111 macrumors regular

I've always had trouble with Chrome and videos playing nicely. I installed Chrome Beta (version 32 right now) and it seems to be much smoother overall, try giving that a shot.

3. mrtravel123 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually recently switched to Chrome Canary.

Ever since I installed Mavericks I've had an odd problem with my Chrome extension icons on my toolbar. I'd essentially touch an icon (for a specific extension) but the extension "window" wouldn't fully expand. I'd have to click on it several times. However, Google Canary solved THIS problem.

I've not noticed any difference with YouTube videos, however.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Are you watching youtube in html5 or flash mode? I have always had much better luck with flash videos.

5. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Yeah known issue with mavericks youtube videos choppy playback choppy sound and seeking not working with html5 player enabled.Known solution use chrome or revert back to good old mountain lion.

6. twintin macrumors 6502

Chrome is not a solution since that's the browser he has problem with (Safari seems to work well for him).

Not neccessary a solution either. At least for me youtube in ML did not work well at all (in MV however, it works very well).

7. mrtravel123 thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually tried both routes.

I'll stick with Chrome Canary for surfing / browsing.... and Safari for the simultaneous YouTube videos. YouTube works fine within Chrome... so long as I'm not doing other things in Chrome at the same time. At least I have a solution, albeit it unfortunate that I have to have two browsers going at once

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

ive noticed choppy video if i am streaming audio...

you don't happen to be doing that as well right?

9. vanc macrumors 6502

Type in "chrome://gpu" in Chrome address bar and check the GPU acceleration. If all of them show in red, restart Chrome will fix it.

If some are green, some are red, you may have an out-of-dated Mac. :)

Video playing is working perfectly for me with Chrome. I have a rMBP 2013 model.