Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Just curious if anyone else is noticing this. The scrolling on my 2012 MBP is a lot smother. I will be taking a trip to the mac store this weekend to see if other models do the same. Thx in advance.

i7/8/128

Last edited:

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
I just bought my i7 13inch MBA a few hours ago and I am not having this problem. Scrolling is a ton smoother than my 2012 MBP 13inch.

However, my battery is only reading 5 hours???

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
looks like my battery was showing 5 hours because I was restoring all my files, dropbox, etc. Its showing 12:05 hours now with web browsing and typing. I'm a happy camper. :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I just bought my i7 13inch MBA a few hours ago and I am not having this problem. Scrolling is a ton smoother than my 2012 MBP 13inch.

I have a 13" mid-2012 fully optioned MBA, along with my just received 13" 2013 fully optioned MBA. The only reason I have both is my wife wants the 2012.

I find your claim either exaggerated, or you have a faulty 2012 model.

Both years of MBA's I have... scroll very fast and smoothly on Chrome & Firefox with a slight amount of jumpiness when scrolling in Safari, on both laptops.

But this is normal, as my 15" mid-2012 MBPr is also less than smooth in Safari and perfect in Chrome, as well as Canary.

I'd call Apple on your 2012.

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
I have a 13" mid-2012 fully optioned MBA, along with my just received 13" 2013 fully optioned MBA. The only reason I have both is my wife wants the 2012.

I find your claim either exaggerated, or you have a faulty 2012 model.

Both years of MBA's I have... scroll very fast and smoothly on Chrome & Firefox with a slight amount of jumpiness when scrolling in Safari, on both laptops.

But this is normal, as my 15" mid-2012 MBPr is also less than smooth in Safari and perfect in Chrome, as well as Canary.

I'd call Apple on your 2012.

I sold my 2012 MBP last month. It WAS very laggy in scrolling especially on heavy sites like theverge.com. Also, I always used to get the beachball and low memory about 30 minutes after using the computer from a cold boot. This was the base model 13inch MBP with 4GB of ram. Although my 2013 MBA is not silky smooth on the verge.com (like it is on cnn.com - that website is really smooth), it is still way way better than the 2012 model I had.

I can take a video from my iPhone if you would like, but I stand by my statement. I think the OP may have received a defective unit - although I agree it would be big coincidence for the CNET model to be defective as well.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
And they said the rMBP was the only one with scrolling issues! :)

So apple has a history of this..?:eek:

As crazy as this sounds, I've had my 13" MBA for the last two days and I still haven't opened because of reason like this. I guess I rather read all the complaints and reviews first before making a decision..

----------

I sold my 2012 MBP last month. It WAS very laggy in scrolling especially on heavy sites like theverge.com. Also, I always used to get the beachball and low memory about 30 minutes after using the computer from a cold boot. This was the base model 13inch MBP with 4GB of ram. Although my 2013 MBA is not silky smooth on the verge.com (like it is on cnn.com - that website is really smooth), it is still way way better than the 2012 model I had.

I can take a video from my iPhone if you would like, but I stand by my statement. I think the OP may have received a defective unit - although I agree it would be big coincidence for the CNET model to be defective as well.

Did you go with the base model again?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

I'm not saying it's impossible. I am simply sharing my personal experience, and for that matter the experiences of several of my co-workers, that have them. I've read the same reports, but I'm always a bit skeptical of certain sites that over the long haul, seem to emphasize or pick apart various Apple products.

ryan2385

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
I just purchased my new 11 inch base model an hour ago. Fired it up and it was VERY laggy scrolling in all windows. A simple hard shutdown fixed the problem for me! Very smooth scrolling now.

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Did you go with the base model again?

Nope...not this time. I need more than 4GB Ram for my usage lol. I originally ordered an i5/8gb/512GB SSD online but the delivery date was for the 24th :eek: . Canceled that order and picked up the i7/8GB/512SSD from the apple store today.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I am simply sharing my personal experience, and for that matter the experiences of several of my co-workers, that have them. I've read the same reports, but I'm always a bit skeptical of certain sites that over the long haul, seem to emphasize or pick apart various Apple products.

Of course. I understand everyone's mileage may vary but I guess with my usage, the 2012 couldn't stay with it. I'm happy to say that my experience with the new MBA has been very good though and I would recommend it anytime.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Well an update from a couple hours ago. I have since downloaded chrome and have been using it. I would have to assume it just some software optimization that needs to be done but it is silly that a 3rd partys application works better. Oh well. Ill still stop my local apple store this weekend and see if other models do the same. So take it for what its worth I guess.

----------

wow, that sucks.. how serious is it?.. enough to return?

Im not thrilled about it but im hoping future updates optimize the experience. Like i have said chrome is working great.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Well an update from a couple hours ago. I have since downloaded chrome and have been using it. I would have to assume it just some software optimization that needs to be done but it is silly that a 3rd partys application works better. Oh well. Ill still stop my local apple store this weekend and see if other models do the same. So take it for what its worth I guess.

----------

Im not thrilled about it but im hoping future updates optimize the experience. Like i have said chrome is working great.

Are you on a 13" or 11"
Is Spotlight still indexing?
Have you restarted and reset PRAM/SMC to see if it makes any difference?
Any third party apps running in the background make a difference (eg dropbox)?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I'm going to bump this, it's a little disconcerting.

Anyone else experiencing choppy scrolling? People who already reported here, has the problem gotten better?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I messed around with a few in store today and none had any scrolling issues. If anything I was shocked something could be faster than the 2012 models.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Maxed-out 13" here. No scrolling issues at all. Runs perfectly smooth. And to the person who hasn't opened their Air yet, you should really open it and start using it to see for yourself whether there are issues or not. There is a 14-day return policy regardless of whether it's been used or not. You may as well use it.

Edit: Let me backtrack here. There is choppiness when scrolling. I just hadn't noticed because I came from a 2010, 1.4GHz C2D 11" Air with 256MB of VRAM.

Last edited:

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
I currently am using the base model: 128 SSD/1.3 i5 Haswell/ 4GB RAM.

I'm not experience any lag in scrolling or odd behavior. I typically use Chrome where I have zero issues; however, I did check Safari and zero issues as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.