Choppy Video Playback on OSX but Very Smooth on VMWare(Win7)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ahngau, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ahngau, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

Ahngau macrumors newbie

This is a long story. Can't wrap my head around this, so please bear with me.

OSX 10.6.5 on 13" MBP 2010 connects wirelessly (802.11g) to the home network. Video files are on a Buffalo NAS (LS-CHL V2) which connects to the wireless router via ethernet (100M). When I play the videos (no matter the player is VLC, MPlayer Extended, Quick Time or RealPlayer), it is choppy. AVI and mkv are bearable but real medias stutter so bad it isn't watchable. Those files are not HDs.

1. First I thought it was a wireless problem (you know old G wifi). So I connect the MBP via ethernet. It helped but could not eliminate all stutters.

2. Then, I dusted off my old Thinkpad (circa 2003 model running XP). Plugged a 802.11g card (yes, the original one was a 802.11b), and viola, all videos play smoothly.

3. I refused to believe a 2010MBP was out ran by a 2003 Thinkpad, so I thought that was a protocol problem. So I stopped the AFP service on the NAS, forcing every machine on the network to connect via SMB. No luck. I even tuned the SMB connection response with "sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0".

4. Now, the weirdest thing is, I finally tried to play the video on the Win7 virtual machine and it played smoothly. Yes, playing the video on top of Win7 on top of VMware on top of the OSX is faster than running it on OSX!

Please help and give me some ideas. I have measure the network throughput using netcat and simple copy and paste, the Win7 VM is almost the same or just marginally faster.

2. Ahngau thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Okay, still scratching my head. Let me put it this way.

Does anyone put their video files on a consumer grade NAS and play it without problem?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

4. Ahngau thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mostly avi. Some mkv and rmvb.