Chris Christie only ramping up for 2016...would you vote for him?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Who will you vote for in 2016?

1. Gov. Christie

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Sec. Clinton

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Sen. Ted Cruz

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. other

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. 63dot, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

So I turn on the computer and the headline I see is more Chris Christie political spin. He's sorry but all he wants is to look like a humble, truthful man (opposite of images of Obama or Bush).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/politics/christie-bridge/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

He's probably the craftiest GOPer since Reagan and anything he says today onward is just ramping up for the inevitable nomination and run in 2016. The GOP is star-less which only makes him shine more and even in a crowded field he would probably still come up on top.

The guy is trying to establish a certain Reagan-like self-effacing attitude while putting in buzzwords like "appropriate use of government" as buzzwords he can use later on. He's a "former prosecutor" and he will most likely try and take the role of whistleblower against corruption. And any corruption he finds and punishes will be stuff he can tie into somebody like Hilary Clinton when he starts on an offensive (probably next year) on Benghazi. It is probably not a shock that most expect Christie to be eying Clinton as most likely opponent.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/2016-election-poll-chris-christie-hillary-clinton-101030.html

With so much posturing just a year into Obama's second term makes the 2016 potential candidates working towards a campaign while really not listening to or addressing the problems that will be there come January, 2017. I will either go Green Party like before or at least a (more liberal person than Obama) democrat.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Clinton gets my vote. I voted for her over Obama back in 08.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If given the choice of those two I too would vote for Clinton but she is going to have to get a major personality/perception makeover.

While some candidates in the past got bad raps for their lack of personality (Dole in '96 or Gore in 2000) both guys were actually far more personable than the media made them out to be. The perception of how they were may have cost both of them the white house.

Clinton appears pushy or bitchy to me when I see her speak and it appears she's a little short with reporters. Contrast that to her husband who is with Reagan, the most popular former president in modern times. She has at least until the end of this year to get some serious coaching. Even Sarah Palin, totally overwhelmed and idiotic sounding in 2008, was able to change her image with many conservatives and some liberals as to her ability to make an issue or point and that landed her a job on FOX for big money. It's not a long way to go since Clinton already has the backroom skills to get things done and work with all types of people on both sides of the fence.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

**** no. And a super **** no to Carnival Cruz.

Hillary might not be my first choice for the Democratic nomination, but I'll vote for her over whatever lunatic the GOP nominates.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree to an extent if another Democrat runs against her. If no one runs against her on the left, she pretty much has a huge advantage cause the right is going to do what the right does. I really can't call yet how she will do with the swing voters but I don't see any possible GOP candidates moving the swing vote neither.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And sadly, this is why the duopoly continues.

And yes, I'm just as guilty.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I second this.

I would sleep with a male Red Sox fan before I ever cast a vote for Cruz.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we are in this awesome little mess because people for AGAINST someone instead of voting for SOMEONE who actually REPRESENTS them, it's always the "lesser" of evils, crap sammich or a turd soup will always be the only choices when people "settle" for whatever is there.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Until we change the fundraising/campaigning/election process in some significant way, I'm voting Democrat regardless of the candidate.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

You stole what I was going to put. :D

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, the system is rigged to present you with lesser-of-two-evil choices.

I however voted Other, as at least Rob Ford is fun to watch. :D

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Warren/Sanders 2016 would blow your ticket out of the water :D

15. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Glad to see others suggesting Warren/Sanders. :) While I don't think they have a chance of actually winning, it would be great to have two real progressives on the primary ticket in order to push the conservadems back to the left.

I did hear Senator Sanders say that he would run in the 2016 primary if no other progressive ran. And since Senator Warren has pretty much stated she plans to stay in the senate, I think we'll be seeing Senator Sanders in the primary.

Imagine seeing debates between Senator Sanders against Hilary Clinton where Hilary will be forced to run on a progressive platform. Although, Obama did run as a progressive twice but we got nothing out of him.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I would vote for Schweitzer, that guy has personality (the one who vetoed bills with a branding iron).

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If Clinton gets the nomination there will be a red president.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Who? Most of the known Republicans are known for being crazy.

19. Huntn, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The OP changed the title of this thread to a better one. :) If Hillary runs, the answer to the thread title is "no". If she does not run, then it would depend on what other candidates appear.

20. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Of the 18 who lead the poll, including me, who voted "other", I wonder who they would go for if they had to pick one of the two? If I had to, then Clinton over Christie.

I don't know if people who don't like Clinton or Christie tend to be conservative or liberal?

21. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

If I had to choose one or the other? (I am one of the people who voted other)

I'd probably vote for Clinton, though they're both corporatists.

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I know that but then you have to ask who would do more damage. We could say it's the lesser of two evils if you are Green (like me), Peace and Freedom, Libertarian, or American Independent. The 1990s were the last time I voted (for Mr. Clinton) where I didn't feel like I was voting for a lesser of two evils. Though I put in votes for Gore and Kerry, it was really more about a vote against Bush those times later leading me to third party status.

It's no secret that the two major parties are the main supporters of the Fortune 500 and that their platforms are not designed to represent the people, even when they say so. I am not saying corporations are evil per se but we can't run a country catering only to them most of the time.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the 2 major crap houses simply pretend to be against each other while pushing for the SOME of same things behind the scenes.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course they push for SOME of same things.

Do you think they shouldn't share any goals or values at all?

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That's why I say "probably Clinton". At least with Hillary, we get Bill.