Chris Christie: track immigrants like FedEx tracks packages

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 5, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Slightly dated (by a week), but, illustrative:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/29/politics/chris-christie-fedex-packages/

He seems to be confusing short-range RFID or readable barcodes used on packages, and, (say) ankle bracelets used for people on probation/waiting trial/heavily-supervised-parolees.

Does Christie really want all tourists to put on ankle bracelets?

But, seriously, that isn't what this is about. It is another gratuitous xenophobic attack on "immigrants". Christie wants to keep up with the Joneses, politically-- Trump has gotten a lot of mileage out of his xenophobic ranting, and, Christie wants some of it for himself. Revolting.

2. juanm, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Cheap politics always look for an easy scapegoat. Jews, muslims, immigrants, religious people, communists...
    It's amazing -and scary- that someone supposedly "serious" falls into that. Usually wildly stupid ideas like this one come from people who rely on grabbing attention to stay in the race as long as possible.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Don't forget about the exchange students and foreign businessmen.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I doubt that laughter was actually supportive. I laughed too. Christie frequently goes off with his silly analogies and plot hole filled scenarios. The other Christie interviews are basically the same.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, but the whole point of the game is about winning the most votes not just drawing attention to himself otherwise he could get lots of attention by jumping off a bridge. Gaining the support of a few miscreants while turning off more mainstream voters in not a winning strategy but I guess without his henchmen at his side, Christie needs to resort to such desperate measures.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

What a brilliant idea. Just yesterday I ordered same day delivery from Amazon (that evil corporation) and they used OnTrac to ship it. Says it was delivered but I don't have my package. FedEx has never lost my package. I fully support this idea. Hitman seems closer than we realize.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Agreed. I was never a Christie fan but he did seem serious last time. It is scary that this time, there doesn't seem to be a serious Republican Party candidate.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Where is Christie now, in the bottom 3% of the polls?

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i am an eventual 'immigrant' to america and have zero problem with that... unless they want to analprobe me or inject a tracker of course :-D

11. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Why is it when someone brings up an idea about how to deal with the issue of illegal immigrants it is all of a sudden an attack on all immigrants or anti-imagration?

It is almost like these people can not, or do not want to differentiate between these two groups of people.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Who are "these people"? I can't tell from your post what the antecedent is.

I can answer your question, however. The fact is that conservative growers (big-time farmers) like illegal immigration, and, always have. They like it because it keeps the labor force cheap, docile, and very hard-working. Take the exact same people and make them citizens, and, heaven forfend! they will start wanting breaks, and, maybe even benefits like having the employer contribution to SS tax paid. (!) Pay them by the day, by the crate, and say goodbye. Nice and simple that way.

Oh, by the way, for many decades, migrant farm workers in some locations in the West used to live in government-facilitated housing like this:

[​IMG]

http://www.ccrh.org/comm/crewport/narrative.php

It started life as a camp for dust-bowl refugees, but, like so many such places in the West, became the occasional home for migrant legal and illegal farmworkers. Typically, these were run by a (State and Federal government backed) "county housing authority". Used to be one five miles down the road from one of the places I've lived. Basically, to house folks invited by the growers and facilitated by the government. Looked a little eerie when it was empty.

If you don't like illegal immigration, make it actually illegal, and, start throwing growers who hire illegals in jail. Just be prepared for the price of fresh fruits and vegetables to rise.

EDIT: Here is another picture, ca. 1940-1941. Takes a few seconds with Google images.

[​IMG]

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

You use of "these people" speaks volumes.

14. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I believe he is referring to those who don't distinguish between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants, not the immigrants themselves.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Christie's whole plan would rely on tracking people while they are here legally.

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This is awesome! Now you are turning it into a race/color thing... I thought I was making it easy for you... Look back at my post(#11) and find the word in bold.
    The two groups I am speaking of are people who enter the country LEGALLY and those who choose to break the law and are here ILLEGALLY...

It is clear you are one of the people I was speaking of that can not see the difference.

EDIT: Why don't you just bypass that and just start screaming that I am a racist and anti-immigration?

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Where have you been??? They are already doing that now to more or less everyone in the country, immigrant or not. However I digress this is a subject for another thread.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not sure where race came into it. You missed, or ignored, my point that growers like illegal immigration specifically because the illegality of the workers keeps costs down. It is a business decision for them, pure and simple. If you want them to make a different business decision, you need to make it worthwhile to the business owners.

19. lostngone, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

REALLY!
    You start of with this statement.
    Then you claim "I'm not sure where race came into it."!!!!
    I will give you a hint. IT WAS YOU!

EDIT: Sorry you caught me it was a thinly veiled attempt. I was speaking about cows.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How do you propose that the people enforcing these laws differentiate who is in the country legally or illegally?

Most likely we would have to rely on a system similar to that in place in the Soviet Union, and other similar states where the police can stop you and ask for your papers at any time. And either all citizens will have to show their proof of citizenship on dead or more likely it will be targeted at people who appear to be from the same ethnic group as most immigrants.

21. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I don't have any ideas at the moment all I was pointing out was WHEN someone comes out with an idea to stop the flow of illegals they are vilified as being anti-immigration or racist.
    If that isn't the case please show me.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Once again, you are ignoring the point. Put yourself in the position of a Mexican farmworker working in the U.S. You easily cross the border. The grower pays you for picking crops. You live for a week or two or three in government-sponsored camps and housing as you move north to follow the work. If you don't know where to go, the county agriculture office has a convenient booth in beautiful downtown Omak, Washington (in the news lately because of the fires) to tell you (in Spanish) who needs pickers. Seriously, ask yourself how illegal it really was all those years, with government agencies at every level making it easy for "illegals" to work in the U.S. For many decades, it was about as illegal as driving 4 miles an hour over the speed limit. That is, only an issue if the cops wanted to stop you anyway for some other reason. That was a part of the immigration system, whether people are comfortable acknowledging it or not.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/

BTW, I do think that the ~11 million or so illegal immigrants in the U.S. (6-7 million of which are Mexican citizens) do make it more difficult for U.S. citizen lower-skill workers to find work. I see no evidence that Donald Trump or any other politician ranting about this issue cares at all about these particular fellow citizens. They are just trying to panic low-information retirees in Arizona who somehow have never heard trilled r's before, into voting for them.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/phoenix...f-for-saying-spanish-words-with-accent/154714

23. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

He could get the most attention by losing 40 pounds.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

In part, there's a bit of a rhetorical judo that makes it easy to attack people like Christie. It's unfair and inaccurate.

However, the fact that conservatives keep trying to split them apart as if they are inherently different groups of people is also either disingenuous or a lack of understanding.

Around, 40-50 percent of the people who are in the United States illegally came to the country using a valid US visa—either as students, tourists, or using one of a range of specialized work visas. Now, their entry is tracked, but largely speaking, ICE doesn't know if they've left the United States. In the case of student visas, USCIS sends a letter once the visa is about to expire, but there's no follow up by USCIS or ICE.

The remainder have come into the United States through the coasts or the land borders.

This means that for any system to "track" illegal immigrants it would have to be able to evaluate, not only people with a valid visa, but people without papers. This means a system that checks papers.

We currently have them throughout the southern border. They're called checkpoints and they allow US Border Patrol agents to check the citizenship status of everyone who passes through. SCOTUS has cleared them, but only for limited checks for citizenship based on the agent's determination that someone might be in the country illegally.

For Christie's system to work, either everyone would carry a National ID that can pass through a RFID scanner (A shiver just went through an ACLU lawyer and some Minuteman dude just loaded his AR-15 with a little more aplomb) or everyone would need to stop a talk to an immigration official.

Otherwise the system falls apart.

So, the question remains, is Christie an idiot who didn't think for five minutes about how such a system turns into a Constitutional nightmare, or is Christie the kind of guy who likes tracking Americans throughout their daily lives in some veiled attempt to go after "illegals."

(I'm laying down a false choice there for rhetorical flourish, but conservatives need to think carefully about an ID system that can track a class of people against the background of the rest of Americans. Any system that can track 11.2 million people can easily be expanded the track the rest of us.)

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He admitted during the first debate that he has a hard on for the NSA, so I'm sure he is all for tracking americans like cattle.