Chris Cuomo Loses His you-know-what after being called "Fredo"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:03 AM.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's rather funny how he's claiming Fredo is the Italian N-word. It's a god father reference to being the black sheep of the family. Married to a woman who's family is off the boat Italian and they don't even know WTF he's talking about.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Maybe in NYC or little Italy, certainly not in Italy. Fredo is simply Alfredo or Federico (often abbreviated as Fede).

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Do we really think Trump (aside from retweeting the rant) should be using this and conflating any type of gun conversation?

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.23.50 AM.png

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Or if you add a "d" it's cold.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-give-cn-ns-cuomo-a-red-flag-for-his-fredo-rant-153605431.html
    trump just demonstrated why red flag laws should not pass.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

still a shame to have laws pass , I DON'T trust SCOTUS on them either, we still have the Patriot act AND indefinite detention w/o trial signed into law and BOTH of those are against the constitution

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Just like that... he became known as Fredo Cuomo forever.

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

What’s with his all of a sudden Brooklyn accent?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yeah, bad move on his part.
    Granted, the guy that harassed him is a jerk.

13. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I suspect that Cuomo's reaction was not because a friend called him Fredo as a term of endearment, but rather some rando yelled "Fredo" at a guy who nominally goes by Chris, and it pissed him off. Maybe his reaction seems out-of-bounds, but I think it's worth considering that Cuomo, like anyone at CNN, has been getting a mountain of death threats, racist jibes, and nonsense, and that may have included people calling him "Fredo."

It's like calling an Irish guy, "Paddy." Yeah, maybe his name is Patrick, but that doesn't mean in context that some asshat is calling him out for being Irish. And, that's the intentional coding here. These right-wing agent provocateurs know they can't get away with "Wop," so it's Fredo.

Cuomo's mistake is to get pissed off about it, but I do appreciate the warning, "I'll wreck your ****" after the guy asked what Cuomo was going to about it.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t think Cuomo had an appropriate reaction, especially as someone whose public reputation is essentially his livelihood. I think it’s fine for him to defend himself, but threatening to physically harm the guy goes to far. Cuomo’s claims that “Fredo” is equivalent to the n-word or even racist is a ridiculous claim that just makes him look silly.

Personally, like most news outlet figureheads, I’m generally not a big fan of Cuomo. All that said, people need to give respect figures when they’re off-work, the same respect anyone deserves. The harassing of these people (ie politicians, media personalities, etc) in restaurants and other public venues during their personal time just needs to stop- especially if it’s just to be offensive. You wouldn’t want an angry customer from your business confronting you while having breakfast with your family. Similarly public figures shouldn’t have to dread going outside because of hecklers. If you have a legitimate criticism to convey, choose and appropriate time and place. If you’re just looking to be a dick, keep it to yourself.

16. Zenithal macrumors G3

Have you ever spoken to people in broadcast? Half of them put on a fake accent so most of America understands him. He was born and raised in New York city anyway.

Try being you and going to New England or New York for that matter. Half of them sound like they've got damn marbles in their mouth because they can't pronounce a damned consonant or vowel correctly. And they think you're weird being from California or the west-midwest and having excellent elecution skills. Doesn't even matter how wealthy they are. Some of their wealthiest sound like stroke victims.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Really? Reeeeeally? Naaaah mate. Cnn has been calling the trumps Fredo. Now that the shoe is on the other foot they don’t like it? Well tough. If you can take it. Don’t dish it.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Can you provide links to videos or articles where they call the Trumps "Fredo"?

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I refer you to post #9

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Most of those were not CNN - and the one that was CNN was someone saying they were going to push back against that analogy. Perhaps you misspoke and meant MSNBC. Which Cuomo doesn't work for.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It’s out there... I’ve seen it on CNN. There’s even one where Fredo Cuomo calls himself Fredo.

Whether it’s CNN or MSNBC using the word to smear the Trumps...

At this point, what difference does it make?

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It only matters if you're making the argument that muffins is making. His evidence is nothing to support his argument.

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Meh whatever cnn. MSNBC. It’s all the one. Left biased media has no problem using Fredo to smear the trumps.

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So then you agree that Cuomo was being smeared by this person then? Personally I think name calling like this is a pretty low form of insult. And I'm surprised Cuomo let it get under his skin so much.

That being said - your original premise was flawed. You made it out to be turnabout is fair play because CNN was doing it. If you want to make a point - then you should show CNN doing it and/or Cuomo himself doing it.

25. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Doesn't this show even a good guy with gun can go nuts!