Chris Matthews Destroys Right-Wing Radio Host

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacHipster, May 16, 2008.

1. MacHipster macrumors 6502

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Very funny (and scary!)

How are those guys where they are?

4. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

5. MacHipster thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Unfortunately, I don't think that Chris Matthews attacked the central point of Kevin James' rhetoric. Just because you can make somebody look like an ass doesn't mean that you can prove him wrong.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

You were not attentive. He actually did both. The point Chris made was there is a world of difference between appeasement and diplomatic dialog. Chamberlain have away a large portion of Czechoslovakia to the Nazi's - that is appeasement. Obama was not entertaining any notion of doing anything except using diplomacy before having to escalate the situation. Only an idiot would consider engaging in another armed conflict.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"He was an energizer and a legitimizer!":D

Oh man... my sides hurt from laughing so hard. I don't have a habit of watching political talk shows like this, but when did the tactic of "the louder I talk the righter I am" come into play? I mean, I can understand getting into a heated debate and raising your voice, but Kevin James was yelling from the get-go like he was addressing a bunch of retirees who all lost their hearing aids.

Lethal

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I got taken by surprise by Chris Matthews too, but I kept listening and it paid off. The entire premise of Bush's critique of "appeasement" was that Chamberlain gave them land (appeasement). Kevin James had no clue what appeasement MEANT. You can't "appease" someone by simply meeting with them. It is when they walk away from the table with something substantive, that they didn't have before. James gets an "F". Mathews did the same thing to that Obama surrogate, when he detected that the man didn't know Obama's legislative accomplishments. He should have said, "I don't know" immediately, and then asked the Clinton surrogate if she knew Hillary's. Instead Mathews made him look like a moron for coming on the show without much substantive information in his head. --Same thing Kevin James got mowed down for.

~ CB

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I got that, actually. I think that a better way to make my point was that Mr. Matthews allowed the dialogue to be overshadowed by the question of whether Mr. James understood what Neville Chamberlain gave away to Adolph Hitler in the Munich Agreement. Mr. Matthews spent a solid five minutes hammering away at the point that Mr. James did not know the details of the Munich Agreement and then only a couple of minutes attacking the position that there is no difference between dialogue and appeasement.

And in matter of fact, I think that the point should have gone uncontested. Though Mr. James clearly did not know what the Munich Agreement entailed, he at least did understand that Prime Minister Chamberlain pursued appeasement of Adolph Hitler as a matter of policy. Mr. Matthews' time would have been MUCH better spent arguing the point that appeasement is not the same as dialog, rather than spending his time telling Mr. James that he did not know precisely what the Munich Agreement gave up.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

My only substantial complaint is that given the title of the thread, I was hoping for something involving lasers.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But how can one understand what one doesn't know? It's like drawing a comparison between Iraq and Vietnam w/o being able to answer the question, "How is the war in Iraq similar to the war in Vietnam?"

Lethal

13. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Wow. My IQ just dropped a few points listening to that guy. God help us.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OMG, did he lose his job with the delivery company??

[​IMG]

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

My only substantial complaint is that given the age of the thread, I was beaten by Gelfin to the punch of hoping for something involving lasers, robots, sharks, or sharkbots with lazers.

16. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

be patient. It's coming.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What Bush said was truly, utterly, stupid. Especially considering where he was. I guess the fact that it's only received a little coverage, most of it negative (even by those of his own party) only defended by people like this and his press sec is a good thing. No one even cares what he says anymore other than to dismiss it. I'm glad Obama is hitting back, but his reply isn't getting much play, and I fear it will come across as him not doing enough. Of course, Obama had several speeches removing himself from Wright, and people still say he hasn't dismissed him, so I guess that's bound to happen anyway. But yes, diplomacy is good. Especially when your resources are otherwise unavailable. Bush can bluster all he wants about being forceful, diplomacy and talking to "the enemy" as appeasement, all the other rhetoric, but it just isn't working anymore. Even his own aren't falling for it, especially when said in such a ridiculous way. He practically Godwin'ed himself.

Kinda surprised Matthews did this, but I guess even he's sick of it. Saw him on some other show railing against it even more. This from the man who practically drools over McCain. Guess it really set him off, and I don't blame him.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't remember what it was, but Clinton was overseas while he was president and said something, and the Republicans were in an uproar. Anybody recall that?

I wouldn't say it's received "a little" coverage. It set off a back-and-forth volley of attacks between McCain and Obama that's been going on for two days.

Even if most people don't buy into Bush's BS, I do have to wonder if this made an impact on Jewish voters (among whom Obama is already a bit weak) and others for whom Israel is a high priority.

19. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Deliverymen everywhere take offense.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good point about who is listening to these guys, we had Lindsey Graham here in Beaufort and the news said about 30 people showed up for the GOP?. Barrack was here about 6 months ago and packed a high school.
    The GOP is the same GOP that America booted out for decades and we now see the reasons again.

The moron and Bush think talking is appeasement....how many more days of this crap?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All this knee-jerk talk of appeasement is pretty absurd and ignorant anyway. Chamberlain - a man committed to peace in any case - had little option in 1938: France refused to join in any declaration of war, Italy had joined the Axis, the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact had locked Russia out, the US was isolationist (and trading enthusiastically with Germany - ask Prescott Bush's grandson, the one who is so eager to deride Chamberlain) and Britain on its own was unprepared for major hostilities. Chamberlain rightly thought that the unconscionably harsh reparations and armistice terms negotiated at Versailles had precipitated Germany's instability. The time gained by Chamberlain's policy at least enabled Britain to complete the deployment of coastal radar and the construction of enough Spitfires and Hurricanes to turn the tide in the Battle of Britain.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

247, by my Bush Countdown Widget. ;)

BTW...somewhat OT but perhaps not worthy of a topic of its own:

I was watching flipping past Fox news at just about noon EDT, and some guy was teasing the upcoming stories. He was talking about Ted Kennedy being in the hospital, but the picture over his shoulder was of Osama bin Laden. He then talked about another upcoming story (with an accompanying picture), and then Osama bin Laden.

Probably just a screw-up, but with Fox, you always wonder.... :D

23. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

No screw-up. Very similar to their tactic of reporting on members of Congress getting caught in scandals. When it is a republican, they label them as Democrats. This has happened far too many to many times to be a 'screw-up'. If FOX wants to report on a story, but it does not promote republicans, of damage Democrats, they are not longer satisfied with just slanting things. They will fabricate lies to do the job.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure Clinton said a lot of stupid things, but our current Pres takes the cake.

At the time, the incident itself wasn't that big of a story as far I could see, but Obama seems to have gone with it, and to my surprise, it actually kinda went somewhere from there. I hope it keeps going. But I doubt it will be as big as Wright was. As said, we almost expect Bush to say such stupid things, even in the worst times and places.

If they're anything like the ones I know, including most of my family I've spoken too about such things, they're more pissed off at Bush for trying to compare anything like this to Hitler. He's kinda a touchy subject for us for some reason. ;) I guess he figured he could just play the Hitler card like he has the "terrorism" or "Osama" one, but that doesn't work as well.

Which is why Bush, besides obvious reasons, shouldn't be playing the race card.

As to the rest of your post, if these people really understood the complicated history, they wouldn't have brought it up at all, but thank you for pointing it out here.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

‘They’re trying to fool you; they’re trying to scare you; and they’re not telling you the truth’

I was busy most of this weekend, so I missed Obama's response. Wow. That's what I want to see. More of that. I'm really disappointed McCain defended this, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me anymore.

At least he didn't call him "Tar-baby".

Look for more of this, then righteous indignation when someone dare calls them on it, and how everything is racist to "liberals". :rolleyes: