Christian’ Militia NOW Crowdfunding Obama’s Assassination On Facebook

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 4, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Thi

A conservative militia leader hates President Obama so much that he has created a Facebook page offering a reward to any person who captures and removes President Obama from office.

You may remember Everest Wilhelmsen as the leader of the Christian American Patriots Militia. Last November, Wilhelmsen sparked a firestorm after posting a message on the group’s Facebook page that the Constitution gave him the authority to assassinate President Obama and members of his cabinet.
    [​IMG]

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If authentic, an arrest is warranted for sedition and probably other offenses. Isn't offering a bounty for murder illegal?

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Intolerance is an illness. Funny how fanatics (Christian Militia, ISIS) embrace a religious association as a means of imagined authority. Separated by half a world and a gulf of belief, how different are we? Of course, God approves of carnage, his prime method is spreading love. :rolleyes:

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Threatening the POTUS is a felony so this is a slam-dunk case. I wonder what Snopes will say about this, however.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How old is this post? Says November in the pic. What year?

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The bold is completely true. I have personal experience as a witness to such an incident.

BL.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Hopefully because it wasn’t you that were the instigator of said threat! :rolleyes::p:D

9. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Last year but it seems it is still around

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I get the strong sense that the Second Amendment is the only part of the Constitution that schmucks like this have ever actually read.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I doubt they've ever read even that...

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-party-offers-10k-bounty-for-george-zimmerman

Did they get convicted of even charged?

13. aerok, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They should face the consequences of their actions. If you are going to prosecute one group then the other should be prosecuted as well

17. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

both I am sure.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed, it is unacceptable.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"dictator", hmm, you know, you would think a dictator would be able to actually do some stuff

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The difference between the issue that you bring up, and threatening the assassination of the POTUS is this.

the former, so far, has been ruled as Free Speech. there is a case that SCOTUS is taking up regarding stating such things like this online or in public against a non-elected official (read: normal resident/citizen), in which someone was convicted of attempted murder because of saying such things online (I believe it was on Facebook). The defendant appealed, and had his conviction thrown out. That appeal now has gone to SCOTUS, which they are deciding the case.

The latter, has always been a felony. My personal experience:

I was working at my university's computer lab in 1995, back int he Windows 3.1/Unix/CLI days. A user logged into his email account (via telnet), accidentally clicked on the background (back in Windows 3.1, that moves the telnet client window back behind the Windows 3.1 desktop), thought that he logged out, logged in again, and checked his email. When done, he logged out, not realizing that his other window was still there.

Someone else came up to it, saw it open, and emailed "I will kill you" to president at whitehouse dot gov. Within 15 minutes, the FBI and (no joke) the Secret Service were on campus, investigating. Pulled all of our backups, email from said user, brought him in, and questioned him. Obviously he had no knowledge of what had happened, so they came to my group and pulled login info and CCTV footage. They found the guy; a day later, they came into his (again, no joke) political science class, and arrested him in class for conspiracy to assassinate the POTUS; Class A felony, with minimum 20 year sentence.

These guys would be facing that exact sentence, as they are willfully conspiring to assassinate the POTUS. That is a crime, and a serious one at that.

My point: there is a point where free speech ends, and this whack job group completely crossed that line.

BL.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Not so slam dunk. The guy is obviously off is rocker/a few sandwiches short of a picnic/elevator doesn't reach the top floor/lights on, no one home/crazier than the Tea Party brain trust. They will probably tailor him a white jacket with extra long sleeves and provide him a room with white, padded wall paper.

Madness takes its toll. Discount for those with toll tags.:p

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I heard he won the straw poll vote at the most recent conservative hatefest.

23. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I don't care how much you don't like the guy's politics, we voted him in. We either suffer together or impeach him. Lessons are not learned through actions like this. Besides, most of the bad stuff is coming out of the administration appointees. Holder is out, yeah!

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Politics has absolutely nothing to do with it. The law stays exactly the same regardless of if a Blue or a Red or a White or a Green is in office. Any threat to the life of the POTUS is investigated as a felony.

That's where these guys screwed the proverbial pooch, and need to be investigated, and arrested.

BL.

25. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Totally agree with you.