Christian couple leave note to gay waiter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by costabunny, Oct 27, 2013.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well each to their own opinion I suppose, but this one really got my heckles up!

It seems a christian couple refused to tip their waiter, instead choosing to leave him a not stating their reasons were due to him being a 'fag' and that as such would never share 'gods riches'

disgraceful indeed. While I believe people have the right to their own opinions; it is NOT ok to attack someone who differs from them.

source link

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Sucks but it happens. Glad it was reported so people know we are not past this type of crap. Ignorant people come from all backgrounds. As much as I am anti-religion, I fear this might be turn into a bash Christian thread even though hate comes from Jewish people, Muslims, non-believers, etc etc etc as well.

3. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

One can but wonder, how the christian couple would react should they produce a gay child. Their action is simply reprehensible. I can only be saddened by stories such as this.

KGB:mad:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure how they knew he was gay from him waiting on them? :confused: "Hey guys, Ill be your waiter for today and im gay"?

Good to see there was community support against this:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/25/4576075/anti-gay-message-left-for-carrabbas.html

5. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

I hope we can avoid turning this into a christian bashing thread - whilst I am very opinionated with my view about religion; this is simply about people acting like monsters to someone who is simply different to their beliefs.

6. Technarchy, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How do we know they were Christian? Maybe they were Jews, or Muslim or something else altogether.

No denomination or Jesus was mentioned in the note.

Maybe the couple were just donkey holes...Maybe...

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would have thought money would be the least of God's riches.

----------

I know we're not supposed to correct misspellings, but just for future reference it's "hackles".

8. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

to quote the Cat:

"Meckles, heckles, hackles, schmeckles, whatever the hell they are, they're up right now and pointed at you, bud!"

aimed at the nasty people in the article of course ;)

9. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

#1 - You tip for the service. If the service was good, leave a tip.
    #2 - If you're not going to tip because of something the person cannot help like appearance, ask for a different server so you can leave a tip.
    #3 - God would not approve of your actions or choice of language.
    #4 - Thanks for making the rest of us Christians who don't act this way look bad.

10. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

Indeed - I would say as an atheist that most of the religious folk I know are pretty descent and nice people. It's always the minority that think it's ok to go around judging people.

shame.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No problem.

I'm just trying to help you out at your next office party.

I'd stick with "hackles".

12. dec. Suspended

dec.

I just always find the arrogance of such people to just assume that everyone else wants to share their "gods riches" and "their belief" amusing to the degree that I never could take an insult from that kind of people serious*.

When it comes to gay bashing, I see it a similar way as I do in the "abortion discussion": Bring up a "god" and you've immediately disqualified yourself.

*of course I know that others feel more hurt by such comments and that they might even share that same christian belief (or at least the basic version of it) , it's nice to see their community being so supportive.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Poor excuses for Christians, IMHO.

Assuming this actually happened, of course.

I see this is reported by "The Freethinker -- The Voice of Atheism since 1881"

No agenda there...

Tell me, when was the last time your waiter mentioned his or her sexual preference to you? "Hi, I'm Craig, and I'll be your gay waiter today." "Welcome to Chili's! I'm straight and will be serving you tonight." "My name's Melissa and I swing both ways, try the halibut."

Yeah, that happens.

----------

Too late.

Get a load of the source link... here's the headline: "Kansas City couple show that Christianity makes monsters of people. But you knew that already."

This was a Christian-bashing thread before it was even created.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Evidence appears to indicate that christians are really no better or worse than any other group, not sure why you would want to ascribe some sort of ideological standard to them.

15. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

Poor excuses for people is more like it.

well here is the original article from a local news station

16. sjinsjca, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Thanks for that. That wasn't the article linked by the OP though. EDIT: Oh, you're the OP. Howdy.

I'm still a skeptic, and still curious how the waiter's sexual preference became a topic in the first place.

If it did happen, shame on the couple. "Judge not..." etc. Such people do exist. They're poor excuses for Christians, as Christians are supposed to strive to emulate Christ, and He did not shy from loving sinners.

If it didn't happen, then that's an unfortunately common sort of thing, where aggrieved parties with an agenda and a chip on their shoulder make up stuff and spread it to the media.

But much hinges on how the waiter's sexuality was raised in the first place. It's none of my business who or what my waiter likes to bang, but it's also nothing I want rubbed in my face when I'm trying to eat!

It's possible that the waiter may have just idly mentioned his boyfriend in chit-chatting with the couple, or something like that. It's worth explaining, is my only point.

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Jews and Muslims "devout" enough to leave such a hateful message

1. Wouldn't have been eating at a restaurant that wasn't Kosher/Halal.

2. Wouldn't have referred to God - Jewish ones would have written G-d and Muslims would have written Allah.

3. It's Kansas city, FFS.

4. And to sjinsjca - guess what? Bigoted scum like that couple don't need anyone to announce their sexual orientation (not preference). It's all about perception to them. And they don't always confine themselves to just not tipping. Your eagerness to blame the victim is disgusting. And highly revealing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/straight-man-gay-bashed-in-surrey-1.1991891

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Forum Tip: try to find the original news item or a reputable [less biased] source.

It gives people one less thing to complain about.

Golly. Thanks Forum Tip Man!

19. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Unnecessary roughness...

DID the waiter "announce" his preference? That's my question. If so, depending on the details, it could have been inappropriate and awkward. We don't know the backstory. Could the waiter have noticed the couple pausing to say grace and decided to make a scene? Or did he just sport a rainbow-flag pin or something and they ran with it?

We don't know. YOU don't know. So calm down.

For my part, I'm an evangelical with plenty of gay friends, some very close to me. My very best friend growing up was gay. A member of our wedding party on my wife's side was gay. It really and truly does not matter to me who does what to whom in their bedrooms. Politically, I support gay marriage and wish all my fellow believers would as well. (Many do. I'm working on the rest.) The waiter would have gotten a tip from me... unless maybe he'd been a jerkwad about his preference in some inappropriate way. Even then, I probably would have talked it out with him rather than leaving a cowardly note and no tip. But that's just me.

So careful with the broad brush, folks. Not all believers are bigots. And most fundamentally: Jesus was not a bigot. Those who are are NOT following in his footsteps.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This is profiling. This is condemned by most on this board when the government does it, but thankfully (hopefully) you are not the government. I appreciate everything you have said here, but I think you're a little harsh towards sjinsjca. I think it's fair to say he's embarrassed by the actions of these so called Christians.

I also find it interesting that they are called Christians because they mention God. Many of the Jewish faith use God openly. Using God's name in vain is violation of a commandment, while using His name is not.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There are some gay people who don't have to tell you they're gay to know they're gay. I'm not saying every gay person is a stereotype from the Bravo channel, and most of the ones I know definitely aren't, but perhaps it was fairly obvious this guy was gay.

Or, I've had chatty servers talk about their significant others before, maybe he mentioned his husband or boyfriend in passing.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

More fake Christians who think they're real Christians. If they were real Christians they would spread love and acceptance not hate, condemnation and bigotry.

23. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

where is the fun in that? ;)

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What broad brush?

He was very specific about his target: "Bigoted scum like that couple ..."

25. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Everyone that says they're a christian isn't always a christian.

This proves it.

A Christian, even though that lifestyle goes against his beliefs still wouldn't have done anything like that