Christian Extremists Disrupt Hindu Senate Invocation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Sickening.

But greatly looking forward to members defending these actions. ;)

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I didn't think we had any christian extremists here....

They need to make public the individuals who disrespected this man and allow the voters to vote them out of that place, as well as follow the proper punishments for disrupting the senate, whatever those may be.

Those people have no business determining policy, let alone getting paid by us!!!

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF was that all about? What the hell is wrong with people?

Furthermore, why is any religious ceremony going on in the Senate to begin wuth?

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplain_of_the_United_States_Senate

"The Chaplain of the United States Senate opens each session (excluding Pro Forma sessions) of the United States Senate with a prayer. The Chaplain is appointed by majority vote of the members of the Senate. All chaplains have been Christian-based, however there is no rule saying that a person of a different religion is barred from this position."

I tihnk they had the hindu guy on as a "guest chaplain." Not sure though. Why they have a chaplain is beyond me, as well.

Must be a slow news day.

Did anybody else besides me notice the date on that youtube video? It's years old. :)

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Can anybody hear what is being yelled? I can't crank up the volume at work.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ I think one person was yelling the Lord's Prayer, and it sounded like another person was quoting some ther part of the Bible?

This is from when he gave an invocation prayer at the Senate in 2007, right? As I understand it, the Senate has an opening prayer by tradition on a daily basis, and guests are periodically invited to give this prayer, including Mr. Zed. I guess Mr. Zed made a similar request of the UK's House of Lords recently, but it was denied because the House of Lords only permits Christian invocations from the Church of England.

I don't really care one way or another... I wouldn't have a problem abolishing the idea of having a prayer in the Senate, and maybe it's a good idea, out of consideration for those atheists who consider the practice abominable. On the other hand, if it's permitted, it ought to be permitted equally, and representatives from all the religions practiced in America should be regularly invited to participate.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's right. Personally, I'd prefer none. I'm surprised this goes on at all.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As I think about it more, it does add a data point, a bit before the "You Lie" moment, of this whole issue of dropping civility in political discourse in the US going on over the past few years.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder how long it's been since a Wiccan or person from the Voodoo faith has given the invocation...

That's what Christianists always gloss over when the declare that religion should be part of the public sphere -- that they mean that only THEIR religion should be part of the public sphere.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it is our state religion - but other religions should be allowed too and it is pretty backwards not to let them do so. Even Catholicism should be allowed :eek: :p.

Given the US has no state religion definitely.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

i though we were talking about a new event.

I remember that one, though. Shameful and revolting. That is an embarrassment to every Christian and every American.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Exactly what I was going to post.

But without the typo. ;)

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it in doing that it could be argued that the US government promotes atheism which I view is a religion in and of itself.

I figure as long as they make it possible for different main stream religious access to open I am find. I think some times they should just open with a moment of silience. Other times open with a christian pair, Muslim pray and others.

Hell it could even be broken down to be some one like the current break down of the US religions percentage wise. That means christian pray will be the majority of the time due to it being the largest but other will get their fair share.

On another note I wise I still had a copy of this pray this preacher once open the Kansas state senate with it. It was great in the fact on how it really based the politics with things like
    we lie but we justify by calling it politics.
    It had a lot of things like that in it.

edit found it.
    I think that would be a great one to open the senate with.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow, welcome to 2007! This could even be George W's fault...

Anyway, who let the religious fundies on the Senate floor? You can be a christian and listen to a prayer from another religion/culture it should be no problem showing some respect.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This would be in exactly the same sense in which it could be argued that you belong on a sex offender registry for not publicly performing any astonishingly perverted sex act, which is, after all, an astonishingly perverted sex act in and of itself.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed such a position COULD be argued. But it would be a ridiculous argument.

Or are you attempting to hide behind the "some would say" construct here? Making ridiculous accusations while attempting to portray yourself as being above such ridiculous accusations?

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I feel that the US government needs to remain neutral on all things religious. That includes atheism They should not be allowed to prompt atheism over other religions. Trick is balancing it out and having different opening. One of them needs to be something to do with atheism which often is solved with a moment of silence for them. That is just my thoughts on it.

The rejections of any higher power is a belief in and of itself. There is no way to prove it is either right nor wrong. Same as with other religions

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

We all know that non-Christians have no choice but to do exactly this, lest they be labeled as intolerant and oppressive by the Christian majority.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't think you quite get 'atheism'.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no I really do not. I have a very vage understanding of it. My understanding it is more a rejection of all religion and have no religious belief

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nonsense. The rejection of a fanciful idea for which there is absolutely no evidence whatever is in no way comparable to blind faith in the presence of an unseen being.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Then prove it is wrong.

You should be able to prove it is wrong which you can not. As it has been pointed out before. God can never be completely proven or disprove. Just because no evidance in what accept limited view of what you accept does not mean God does not existed. There is a reason why it is called faith. One has to have some faith that God is real.

At the same time rejecting it means you believe that it is not there. One or the other could be right.
    I have found that both atheist and christian a like can be asses shoving their beliefs down on people who do not agree with them. You have people coming in and bashing any body who believes in Christianity and not respecting their beliefs.

You just proved how people like that behave. No were did I go in and say atheism are wrong. I put it in the category that is what they believe and respect it as such. Same as I respect some one who is Muslim or other religions. I honestly like to learn more about them I find it interesting and lets me understand the people more.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree, they should remain as neutral as possible in regards to religion. This would be maintaining the secular policy on which this country was founded, agreed? How then, is remaining secular an advancement of atheistic beliefs? Such a claim would be absurd, would it not?

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I do not have to prove such a negative, any more than I have to prove that unicorns do not exist. I see no compelling evidence that either deities or unicorns exist.