Christian fundamentalists infiltrating US military

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was reading an article on these groups in this month's Details Magazine (I know, gay! shut up :)) and it gave me the creeps. While that article isn't available on line at the moment, I did find this. The Details article was far more disturbing though. When it's available, I'll post it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...ory?coll=la-news-a_section&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I've been saying this for years. The Baldwins have plans of government infiltration and world domination. How many Baldwins are there now? 4, 5, 100? I just don't know anymore! They spread like the plague, I tells you!:eek:

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know! They're one creepy family!

Seriously though- the Details article was downright disturbing. It's gotten to the point where some atheist soldiers have had to be sent back to the US because of threats they've received.

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It is quite disturbing. The athiest soldier part just compounds it for me. I'm not a military man, so I can't presume to understand the culture. I'm curious to know how the military culture differs from other nations?

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I hadn't realized "no atheists in foxholes" was prescriptive. Perhaps this is another problem that can be neatly solved with absolutely no negative consequences through the magic of "don't ask, don't tell." :rolleyes:

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Im sorry Lee, but that article is just stupid. Its an op-ed piece right?
    There have been religious people in military since the beginning of war.
    Of the few enlisted people I know, they're mostly talking about getting the day to day job done and when to come home, not about how they need to find jesus and go on a crusade. They want to come home, not hang out and convert muslims.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- the one I linked isn't Op-Ed. Wishful thinking on your part. ;) Like I said, when the other article gets put on line, I'll post it.

9. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

The more atheists out of the firing line the better - we need as many as we can get ;)

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The point of the article wasn't about religion in the military. The point of the article was about questionable preferential treatment Christian groups have gotten from the military (such as the group that was allowed to video inside the Pentagon in violation of security regulations).

Lethal

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh come on- let's not let facts get in the way. Pesky things. ;)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

For all the people who complain about a liberal bias in academia, here's is your response: The bias in the military, also a government-sponsored organization, is overwhelmingly conservative.

If we're expected to acheive parity between ideologies in academia, perhaps we should also expect the same from militaria?

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

you've obviously never been in the military. I was during vietnam and they handed out bibles all the time. I'm guessing if there were video games back then they would have done that then also.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Please also read the second article I linked in post #10. That's more what I was looking for anyway. That kind of thing is definitely not cool.

EDIT- nevermind. Here you go:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20922106/

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The depressing truth.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I can see how individuals are harassing this guy for being an atheist but this part :
    "In the lawsuit, Hall said that his free speech and religious rights were violated a year ago when he sat down with soldiers to eat a Thanksgiving holiday dinner."

From my experience in the military your "freedom of speech " is removed when you join. Even according to the constitution military law supersedes a lot of laws during wartime. I know that personally lets say :p

I'm not trying to defend the actions of the military just wanting to show some levity.

For example Leekohler. You would have disappeared out at sea when I was in. The navy didn't care for alternative lifestyles at all.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Did the military also allow christian film crews in restricted areas in violation of standing orders or condone the use violence, or threats of violence, to pressure non-christian soldiers to convert?

Lethal

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

NOT AT ALL.

That is way wrong.

But then again my ship was tied up next to Iranian warships at times too..
    Go figure.

We did have a lot of "blanket parties" though. and the officers tended to look the other way.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What does that have to do with anything? Does that make what's going on now somehow OK? Or does it mean we should simply brush it off?

And on a lighter note- I'm pretty good, I don't think I would have disappeared. I'd probably be getting flowers daily, amongst other things. :)

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

No it doesn't make it ok but it does show you that the military has been doing this type of stuff for a long,long time and it's just gotten worse.

Ya know. I used to be proud to say I was in the Navy. Even though it gave me asbestos disease and screwed up my life. But nowadays I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey man, look- I'm not trying to down the military. I've got a lot of friends and family who serve. But when there's a problem like this, it needs to be addressed.

Also, I'm pretty grateful to a friend of mine who was in the Navy in the first Gulf War. He's the person who gave me a workout regimen I've used for 15 years. It works great. I like my bod a lot as a result. But you guys already knew that. I'm so vain. :)

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's ok to down the military. I do now. The way they operate is bad.

The military used to be about protecting freedom. Now it's about protecting fundamentalism and money.

Bash away my friend!

23. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

religious intolerance in the military isn't exactly new (and i don't agree with it). i'm surprised that spc. hall didn't find it offensive when he was getting his dog tags (one can't put "atheist" or "agnostic" on his/her tags, the words "no pref" are used instead).

i was talking to a former marine at trader joe's two days ago. i don't know if it was the setting (TJ's tends to attract the liberal crowd) or something else, he almost sounded like he was ashamed of his "past." i was surprised and somewhat disappointed at the same time.

24. astrostu macrumors 6502

Yet another reason why if they re-instate the draft, I'm saying I'm gay. :rolleyes: